RP-600M vs RP-502S for music/tv

frankm

Curious about the difference here. I want to get a two speaker set up for music and TV in my studio apartment. I get sick deals on Klipsch through work (with no way of testing). I was thinking Heresy but they're too big. 

Anyway, the 600s seem like the "flagship" bookshelf speakers but they list for a lot less than the 502s. I get them for a similar price so I'm wondering how the 502s compare and if they'd be better for a stereo music set up.

My advice would be to test both in your room, if possible.

In my experience, small Klipsch speakers should be driven above avarige sound preassure levels to perform decently.

In that regards, it is possible for both to play ok.

However, bigger speaker boxes could help to get the speakers to play more pleasently at lower listening volume.

If you can, give them both a try.

I myself at present care mostly about 2-way stereo sound.

Having that in mind, I would tend to try Heresies. 

600s had me wanting for more balanced tonal representation throught the frequency spectrum, meaning that high frequencies were too bright and not enough of mid freque spectrum to my liking.

May be if you try to add a mid speaker to play more voices in movies, between two 600s, then you might take a step in positive direction for your liking.

Btw, how did you get to conclusion that Heresies are to big for you?

8 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

My advice would be to test both in your room, if possible.

In my experience, small Klipsch speakers should be driven above avarige sound preassure levels to perform decently.

In that regards, it is possible for both to play ok.

However, bigger speaker boxes could help to get the speakers to play more pleasently at lower listening volume.

If you can, give them both a try.

I myself at present care mostly about 2-way stereo sound.

Having that in mind, I would tend to try Heresies. 

600s had me wanting for more balanced tonal representation throught the frequency spectrum, meaning that high frequencies were too bright and not enough of mid freque spectrum to my liking.

May be if you try to add a mid speaker to play more voices in movies, between two 600s, then you might take a step in positive direction for your liking.

Btw, how did you get to conclusion that Heresies are to big for you?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure, I think I saw a picture and it looked big. But after some measurements it seems it could fit in my space. But they'd be cramped on either side of a 24 inch wide stand. I guess it could work. 

Get the 600M's.  They have proven themselves to be one of Klipsch's most versititle speakers.  You can use them as mains for a full sound and if you ever upgrade to a larger speaker they are small enough they can be moved to surrounds.

I own the 600M's and they are currently being used as mains.  

The very expensive speaker stands are RF-83's.  B)

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

1 hour ago, frankm said:

I have to say, I find the heresy alluring, the strong midrange just makes me think the clarity and presence will be impressive. (spoken by someone who has never heard, projecting things I've read lol)

Of the many, many two way Klipsch I've had over the years (RF-25, RF-7, KG 3.5, KG 4, RB-5) I vastly prefer the three way sound of my 1980 Heresys.  The midrange horn is just magical.