Hickock 600A (needs serviced I'm sure)

Coytee

My wife is looking at an estate sale, wanted me to pick something up for her....  so I go (40 miles one way).

While there, I browse around and don't see much when I see something I recognize immediately.

Long story short, I ended up dropping $75 for a tube tester.  I had wanted one when I had tubes (I guess I still have them because I still own a Peach)

None the less, got to thinking about you guys here so I ended up with it.

I know NOTHING about it, I might have bought a boat-anchor.  I see there are calibration services for about $210, something like that would probably be in good order.

The good: 

1.  Well, I hope $75 was a good price!

2.  The scrolling paper seems to scroll fine.

3.  It has a short (testing) cord included that I THINK went to the TOP of some of those higher powered tubes.

4.  Has the booklet with it and a full schematic in the back of the book.

(I wonder for posterity, if there'd be any benefit to scanning the book and posting PDF's for those who might not have one?!?

The bad:

1.  The power cord is absolutely frozen stiff (from age) and would have to be replaced.  In fact, parts of its outer covering are chipping off.

2.  Unit smells mustyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.  I guess it was in his basement forever and clearly has an OLD smell about it.

3   Looking under the lid, there is (what appears to be) a 300B or 2A3 type tube there.  There appears to be some stuff on the bottom that has fallen off (inside the tube).  No idea what it might be but I'd presume the tubes would need to be replaced (but I don't know that)

I don't really want to ship this thing.  Isn't there a Klipsch gathering soon with Roy??  If anyone is in/near the Knoxville area, I'd be happy to hand it off so it could be hand delivered.

Open to other options.

Got it for $75, willing to let it go for same.  If I ship it, we'd add that on.  Basically, I bought it with someone here in mind in the hopes someone could use it and I got it for low enough dollars that it would be worth putting some more dollars into it to fix it up.  If I end up keeping it, I'm ok with that too (though my wife won't like the way it smells right now!!!  Did I say that it smells mustyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???)

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's your call.  If you're comfortable with it being shipped, I'll box it as many times as you instruct me to.

However, I will be slow to getting it done.  Heading to Atlanta tomorrow for the weekend and I travel during the week so it might be middle or late next week before I can get it gone.

PM me your address, I'll get it going and when it's gone, I'll let you know what the shipping charges are/were.

Hopefully you are able to go through it and service it??  or if not, have someone nearby?

Yes $75 is a good price, but it must be absolutely, positively serviced and calibrated, which would certainly include replacing the tubes.  Looks to be some corrosion on many of the parts, so a general cleaning/flushing is in order.  Much of the musty smell is likely coming from the case.  You can wipe it down with a vinegar solution, and then put it in the sun for several hours, which will help.