Lascala Horizontal Bracing

Tony T

I'm curious to know, why (on some Lascala's) is there horizontal bracing on the bass cabinet? You know, an introduced piece of plywood that attaches from the  inner sidewall to the "V" within the bass bin. I haven't seen many with this application but it appears to be an add on after the fact. I'm guessing the idea is to stiffen the cabinet to lessen vibrations? Could it be some Lascala's came from the factory that weren't quite as solid as they should have been? Hard to believe (due to small numbers) that this idea came OEM from the factory.

1 minute ago, Tony T said:

I'm curious to know, why (on some Lascala's) is there horizontal bracing on the bass cabinet? You know, an introduced piece of plywood that attaches from the  inner sidewall to the "V" within the bass bin. I haven't seen many with this application but it appears to be an add on after the fact. I'm guessing the idea is to stiffen the cabinet to lessen vibrations? Could it be some Lascala's came from the factory that weren't quite as solid as they should have been? Hard to believe (due to small numbers) that this idea came OEM from the factory.

As far as I know, there were never any LaScala speakers shipped from the factory with horizontal bracing in the bass bin.  I DO KNOW, that PWK tested the horizontal bracing out, but it never went into production...likely due to the extreme cost of hand-fitting each brace.  Lots of owners have added the bracing of one form or another to their own, though.

Along with what Andy said...  it might be worth noting that it DOES make a difference.  It doesn't add any bass at all but it stops some of the destructive interference that the vibrating sides cause and makes it SOUND like it's got more bass.

So, if it sounds like it has more bass.....  does it have more bass?!!

15 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Along with what Andy said...  it might be worth noting that it DOES make a difference.  It doesn't add any bass at all but it stops some of the destructive interference that the vibrating sides cause and makes it SOUND like it's got more bass.

So, if it sounds like it has more bass.....  does it have more bass?!!

Well if what was hidden is now revealed of course there is more bass. If a tree falls in the forest and someone is around is it heard? Mo betta bass.