K-33-E Woofer Testing

Tony T

I was under the impression that the K33 would measure closer to a 4-ohm driver...  then, mating it into the horn makes it an effective 8 ohm driver.

So, if you get something in the high 3's or low 4's....don't fret.  Perhaps someone more technical can fill in those details.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the K33 would measure closer to a 4-ohm driver...  then, mating it into the horn makes it an effective 8 ohm driver.

So, if you get something in the high 3's or low 4's....don't fret.  Perhaps someone more technical can fill in those details.
I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be. I assumed 8 ohm [emoji854]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This thread prompted me to open up the bass bin of my 'Scalas to see what 43 years of ownership/listening have done to the woofers.  Upon removing the "floor" of the bin I was pleasantly surprised to see how pristine the inside of the cabinet was, and even noticed the pencil lines that the craftsman used as guides for cutting/assembling the cabinet.  The cones on the woofers look completely intact, though I couldn't do a full 360° inspection even with a mirror.  I did check the ohm reading across the woofer terminals, and came up with 3.3 - 3.4 ohms, exactly as posted by "Marvel" above.  

Since I have them opened, any advice as to what else I should check for as far as function/performance is concerned?  And based on what you can see in my pics, is there anything that I should pay closer attention to?  I'm positive the woofers are still working as I've listened up close and put my hands on the sides of the "doghouse" and felt the vibrations.  Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scalawag said:

Since I have them opened, any advice as to what else I should check for as far as function/performance is concerned?  And based on what you can see in my pics, is there anything that I should pay closer attention to?  I'm positive the woofers are still working as I've listened up close and put my hands on the sides of the "doghouse" and felt the vibrations.  Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I would pull the woofers out, then use compressed air thru the compression slot on the woofer motor-board to blow out any cobwebs and dust bunnies...mouse poop...whatever...that has accumulated over the years...you may WANT to blow off the crap that has built up on the front of the woofer cones, too!  HINT, HINT!

I'd advise to be very, very careful using compressed air.  My preferred method is to use the reverse flow of a vacuum.

And, if it were me, I would run a bead of construction adhesive along each of the joints inside.  Also, remove the old gasket material that goes around the door, and replace that gasket.

15 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I'd advise to be very, very careful using compressed air.  My preferred method is to use the reverse flow of a vacuum.

And, if it were me, I would run a bead of construction adhesive along each of the joints inside.  Also, remove the old gasket material that goes around the door, and replace that gasket.

Common sense would dictate using MUCH LESS air-pressure when cleaning off the face of the woofer cones....or it SHOULD, anyhow!  LOL!   Soft paint brush and compressed air always worked for me!

As for ensuring the glue seals don't leak around the doghouse...even silicon caulk would work...

57 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I would pull the woofers out, then use compressed air thru the compression slot on the woofer motor-board to blow out any cobwebs and dust bunnies...mouse poop...whatever...that has accumulated over the years...you may WANT to blow off the crap that has built up on the front of the woofer cones, too!  HINT, HINT!

Upon your recommendation I did as you suggested, though lacking an air gun/compressor and the confidence at using same, I had to make do with something else.  The cone and surround look good, no tears or deformities that I can see.  There for sure was a layer of dust, though not an obscene amount, but since I had it out in the open I used a slightly moist rag and gently, and I do mean gently, wiped the face and back of the woofer cone clean (I suspect you're shuddering and shaking your head right about now!).  I used a small hand vac and went over the inside of the cabinet, then wiped it down with another moist rag - there really wasn't a lot of debris/dust in there.  

I feel better having inspected and performed maintenance on the K33-E's in my 'Scalas after all these years, and I am confident they will continue to do an admirable job of providing me with many more hours of listening enjoyment to come.  But then, who knows, I may get the itch to replace these woofers just as I have the squawkers and tweeters - shame on me!

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, scalawag said:

Upon your recommendation I did as you suggested, though lacking an air gun/compressor and the confidence at using same, I had to make do with something else.  The cone and surround look good, no tears or deformities that I can see.  There for sure was a layer of dust, though not an obscene amount, but since I had it out in the open I used a slightly moist rag and gently, and I do mean gently, wiped the face and back of the woofer cone clean (I suspect you're shuddering and shaking your head right about now!).  I used a small hand vac and went over the inside of the cabinet, then wiped it down with another moist rag - there really wasn't a lot of debris/dust in there.  

I feel better having inspected and performed maintenance on the K33-E's in my 'Scalas after all these years, and I am confident they will continue to do an admirable job of providing me with many more hours of listening enjoyment to come.  But then, who knows, I may get the itch to replace these woofers just as I have the squawkers and tweeters - shame on me!

I wouldn't have used any kind of moistened rag on the cones, myself....just a SOFT-bristled paint brush would have done the trick for paper-coned woofers, and it would have been much quicker for cleaning any crud build-up from the corrugated paper surround of that woofer-cone, too!

You were lucky, I have seen LaScala woofer cone faces covered in deep crud over the years...it depends on exactly WHAT gets a chance to crawl up into the bass bin back there, and how often it happens!

• Like 1