La scala wood/finish question

Don McPhee

have a circa 79 pair of La ScalasNot having much experience with wood at all, there is some degradation/edge wear where on the top plate, and was wondering if that is raw plywood or if it is veneer. I thought I read somewhere   That the La Scala in the 60s and 70s were offered in a raw plywood with no veneer finish. 

I appreciate your feedback

Cheers

Don

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

Almost universally, La Scalas were raw birch plywood, birch plywood painted black or a few were birch plywood with clear lacquer.  Yours look to have been raw birch and stained/finished, LS-BR.

The code on the tag is LSBB which according to the folks at Klipsch is La Scala Birch black lacquer. He looked it up on some documents however what does  not seem to follow true as the cabinets are finished in wood and the only part of this that’s black is the interior base bins,  which I am extremely pleased with as I refinished the interior bins and re-painted gloss black and they turned out amazing.  I also lightly sanded the cabinets and re-stained and that turned out beautuful as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Don McPhee said:

The code on the tag is LSBB which according to the folks at Klipsch is La Scala Birch black lacquer. He looked it up on some documents however what does  not seem to follow true as the cabinets are finished in wood and the only part of this that’s black is the interior base bins,

Looks like someone veneered over the original BB and left the bass bins alone. 

The speakers were shipped black and then re-finished at one time...with being possibly re-veneered.  The moulding used on the face of the speakers are not factory original, neither are they done the same way as was done for a factory moulding application.

The pics provided do not tell us whether they were re-veneered prior to refinishing.  But if the speakers were veneered-over prior to refinishing, then whomever did it seems to have done a good job.  If they just refinished the existing veneer from the factory, and the wood grain of the underlaying veneer has wood grain running 90 degrees from the unchipped areas, then they were probably NOT re-veneered...since plywood is laid-up with plys wood grain patterns running opposite 90 degree directions from each other...this is what gives plywood its strength and tendency to not warp or bow easily.  LaScalas from that time were built using overlapping butt joints, so if there are any plies showing they were NOT re-veneered.