Questions regarding having new enclosures built for my Heresys

wuzzzer

I have a friend who is starting a woodworking business and asked him about making new cabinets for my 1980 Heresys.  He said it would be a good project for him.  Other than keeping the internal volume the same, is there anything to keep in mind or tell my friend about the build?  I'd like them to be made of real wood with a very dark stain.  Any woods to avoid?

Can the woofer and horns be front mounted to the new motorboard like in the Heresy II/III or does the design of the woofer and horns prevent that?

Thanks for any tips or advice!

What does the label on your Heresys say they are, HBB?  If so, then they were probably built by me.

The mid-horn lens and the tweeter and woofer in your speakers were intended to be mounted on the rear of the motor-board.  The design of the face of the woofer frame with its gasket would pose a problem for front mounting.  As for the tweeter, there was a "Z-mount kit" available years ago for mounting the K-77 tweeter from the front, but it will likely be unobtainium nowadays.  The mid-horn lens shouldn't pose much problem mounting from the front, though.  You would still need to access everything from the rear, anyway, so just re-use the speaker back panels for that.  Keep in mind that you will need to be able to get that K77 tweeter magnet through the hole for the tweeter horn lens, and the magnet will be your main issue for front mounting it.

As for the wood used, I would advise against using solid wood panels for the box, and suggest using finely-veneered plywood instead, mitered at the corner edges.

• Thanks 1

K-77s can be disassembled and front mounted, but won't seal and the diaphragm can be severely damaged doing it, so don't.  Look at Fastrac tweeters and others that poke through the motherboard and become flush.  With enough work, the squawker horn can be front mounted. 

the Bob Crites CT125 tweeter is a phenolic diaphragm plug in upgrade/replacement for the K77 better high end extension smoother across the band, you can install the horn from the front and then mount the driver to the rear, same size horn and performance. I installed a pair into my Heresy and was very pleased with the sound improvement.

22 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

What does the label on your Heresys say they are, HBB?  If so, then they were probably built by me.

The mid-horn lens and the tweeter and woofer in your speakers were intended to be mounted on the rear of the motor-board.  The design of the face of the woofer frame with its gasket would pose a problem for front mounting.  As for the tweeter, there was a "Z-mount kit" available years ago for mounting the K-77 tweeter from the front, but it will likely be unobtainium nowadays.  The mid-horn lens shouldn't pose much problem mounting from the front, though.  You would still need to access everything from the rear, anyway, so just re-use the speaker back panels for that.  Keep in mind that you will need to be able to get that K77 tweeter magnet through the hole for the tweeter horn lens, and the magnet will be your main issue for front mounting it.

They are HFB. 

Thanks for the tips on mounting the drivers.  If I end up having him build new cabinets I'll just mount them like they currently are. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, wuzzzer said:

They are HFB. 

Thanks for the tips on mounting the drivers.  If I end up having him build new cabinets I'll just mount them like they currently are. 

1980??  They should have been made of birch plywood, but somebody "new" in final assembly might have mis-labeled them, thinking that FLAT black paint was "FB"...it happened more than once...the proper labelling would have just been "HBB" for 1980 time-frame.

Look at the rear of the speakers....the edge of the left side panels about an inch from the top as you are facing the rear of them...for letters stamped into the panel edge there....if you see an "A", then I built them.  The "A" may be by itself or have an additional letter right beside it.  And there should be one or a pair of letters above it....for who did the sanding on the cabinets before they went to be painted.