Painted Heresy II

MeloManiac

I'm considering buying used Heresy II speakers. What is holding me back is that they were painted black, so no original. Finding used Heresy's here in Europe is pretty rare, though. Don't want to walk the upgrade path (new crossover etc), want to play them as is. Price is 1/3 price of new pair of Heresy III.

Advice welcome!

• Like 1

My Heresy II speakers were shipped in a black satin finish. I received them as a gift from one of my sons. While I love wood finishes, black tends to let the speakers disappear over time. They don't stand out. They would sound the same no matter what the finish, and right now they still sound great.

Bruce

@ILI I personally like black speakers, but I don't think the color is your issue. You're concerned they don't have the factory finish.

I would suggest you buy them and enjoy the sound.  If the finish bothers you (and that's OK if it does) consider getting a nice veneer of your choice or re-sell them.  They will hold their value.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ILI said:

I'm considering buying used Heresy II speakers. What is holding me back is that they were painted black, so no original. Finding used Heresy's here in Europe is pretty rare, though. Don't want to walk the upgrade path (new crossover etc), want to play them as is. Price is 1/3 price of new pair of Heresy III.

Advice welcome!

Some Heresy II speakers were shipped with black paint...which was done at the factory.  So that finish might actually be original.  Look at the labels on them and the model designation on the label will tell you if they left the factory with black paint.  It should show something like HBB or HWB...the "B" means they were shipped from the factory with black paint.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 7:51 AM, ZINDA89 said:

I have a pair of painted Heresey 2s, I think they look just fine, it all depends on who painted them.

klipsch 2 (1).jpg

These are amazing indeed!

I could also go for veneering, I guess.

I'm hesitant because I'm pretty happy with my rp160ms, and I 'm not sure if the Heresys will make a big difference...

3 hours ago, ILI said:

These are amazing indeed!

I could also go for veneering, I guess.

I'm hesitant because I'm pretty happy with my rp160ms, and I 'm not sure if the Heresys will make a big difference...

A difference between RP160m's and Heresy II's? They'll make a big difference.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:15 AM, MechEngVic said:

How'd you do it and do you have pictures?

It's been a long time since I stripped them, sorry no pics. I have another sw 12 in black I recently bought  I'am going start strip this weekend. Going to remove the woofer and radiator and only use stripper if possible, will only use a high grit sand paper if I have to. If memory services me I used stripped, putty knife, and a roll of paper towels to strip the other 2 speakers, no sand paper. Unfortunately the stripper today is weaker so may have to use sand paper. I avoid using electric sander especially orbital ones, they can leave small swirl marks in veneer you can not see till you paint or stain.

I will give you an update in a couple days.

• Like 2

Who can decipher this code on a 1988 HII?

H OO SRB

The seller calls them Black Walnut. They are very dark, but I'm pretty sure they were painted or stained, previously Oiled Oak.

Like others have said, I care more about performance than originality, but price should reflect that, huh?

https://offerup.com/item/detail/756114057/

Rick

13 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Wow, those kp 250s are clean!  That grille is familiar as well.   Strong work.  I sold Eric my pair, and I certainly wouldn't mind getting them back... 

Thanks! Resurrected from severe plywood delaminating water damage, misused, mistreated, abused and left for dead. They were literally trashed! The grills were made from raw materials. Paint is acrylic urethane "hot rod" flat over feather fill polyester primer.