First Home Theater

DillonQ

Hey guys, I’m new here. Looking for recommendations as well as feedback on these products from users that have them in home. My listening space is 16ft long by 15ft wide with 10ft flat ceilings. I primarily listen to 80’s metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden), to 90’s grunge (Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots) as well as early 2000’s rock (Sevendust, Bring Me The Horizon). I’m looking for a great set up that I can use half and half for music and home theater. I have a budget of $1500. I’ve seen the reference series line up on sale a lot and think it would be nice to get the 820f’s/620f’s, R34c, and R51m. However I have seen a few reviews down talk them on dynamics as well as timing. Also heard the the reference center channel is not very good at all and that it doesn’t fit the sound signature of the rest of the speakers. I’d like for you guys to shed some light on this for me on how it has worked for you. If this is a great beginning set up and you haven’t had these issues then I’m inclined to get them. I have heard them already at My local Best Buy and they seemed pretty good but I couldn’t play my own content so it was hard to gauge how they would handle my listening habits. Another option would be for me to go the Reference Premiere route. I heard them as well and I loved them however it would be a long time for me to get a full set up going that route. I’m not opposed to that at all, however, that’s why I’m asking about the base series and if they are truly not good at all and have those issues or if that was just an unfortunate occurrence for that reviewer. I have had faulty speakers before and found that when I got them replaced the issues I had were no longer there. Hoping that is the case with what happened in that review. If I went Reference Premier then I’d like opinions for based on my room size what size towers would be best as well as center and rears. I’m getting my subwoofer from SVS so that part is taken care of. I’ll thank you all ahead of time and say any one that wants to drop their 2 cents is more than welcome. Thanks again! :D

This is the review I’m referring to. 
https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/klipsch-reference-base-2018-home-cinema-package

Hello and welcome to the forum. I completely understand the need to respect your budget. And, as my buddy dtel mentions, I too am unfamiliar with the speaker models mentioned in your link.  I just wish to make the point of saying that, based on the type of music you've stated that you prefer, basically a lot of metal and grunge, I would recommend that you check out a pair of RF-7 III's. Few speakers, for the money, can rock Metallica, et al, like a pair of RF-7's! The issue this brings is that doing so would totally blow your $1,500 budget out-the-window. However, if you wish to have a great system that is capable of returning a truly-detailed, visceral rock experience, given the demands of that style of music and its energy, you'd be hard-pressed, I fear, to get satisfaction within your budget. I personally have an RF-7, 7.1 reference system and I have been thrilled with it since 2004. I love metal, grunge and many other genre and utilize my system for music, movies and concerts. It does all three without effort. Best of luck!

• Like 2

Thank you to both of you. I am hoping someone does pop in that has experience with both of those system but what you were saying with the RF7’s I whole heartedly agree. I have heard them in stereo before and I have never fell in love with a speaker so much as. I did that day. It was mind blowing. Those dual 10inch woofers and larger tweeter work wonders. You’re set up is literally my dream set up unfortunately I’m at a point where I can’t fork over that amount of cash right now. I can only make due with the budget I have provided. However if there ever becomes a time where that’s not an issue I’ll be throwing the set up I choose on for now in the bedroom and dropping those big guys in the theater room. I keep looking for a good deal on used ones but my one chance that I had found they were sold before I could pull the trigger. Who knows maybe I’ll get lucky and see another set pop up. If not though then I’ll be between the reference base series and the Reference Premiere. And from what I heard when I auditioned the Premiere line I can’t say that I would be disappointed at all considering my current set up is a Samsung MS650 sound bar and subwoofer. I just want something with more punch and audio separation. The sound bar is too muddy when it comes to music and doesn’t punch hard enough during movies. Not to mention my fiancé always wants the subtitles on since she can’t really understand what people are saying haha. She’s totally on board with us getting a nicer set up! I’m one of the lucky few. Thanks for your comments both of you. I will keep on my trek and for anyone else that drops in please throw your opinions in on the matter. The more the merrier! 

• Like 1

Well I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but I've had the Reference line (R-28F, R-25C, R-14S, R-14M and R-12SW) for 3 years now, and they've provided me tons of joy over the years. I can't really fault them in any way, although I probably don't have a true audiophiles listening ear. They provide more than enough power and dynamics (music on -20DB and movies on -18DB is about as loud as I can handle in my room (4.7 x 4.8 x 10.2 meters), although I have pushed the system to 0DB with base heavy electronic music in a test - no distortion whatsoever... not sure if the DB volume scale is anything you can work with, but that's with my Yamaha 2070 AVR. Point is the system has way more power than I ever use and I've never heard any component in it distort, and I think it sounds great!

Having said that though, we always want to keep improving - it's a disease... 🙂 So when I added in-ceiling Atmos speakers, I went for Klipsch's top of the range PRO-180RPC IN-CEILING Speakers in preparation for upgrading the rest of my system when I can afford it. I haven't heard the new RP series yet, but I've only read and heard good things about it: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f, so my next investment will likely be a second sub (15inch) or replacing my center speaker with the RP-504C. I'm not sure I will ever be able to afford a full RP range, but that's my long term goal...

So my "unqualified" advise to you would be, if you can afford the RP range, then go straight to that one. It will be cheaper in the long run than upgrading from the Reference to the RP to the RF series, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the RP sound quality and performance.

Update: I just re-read your post and I see you're in the same boat as me as far as being able to afford the RP series straight out the gate... mmmh, tough one... if you're patient and can handle the slow build route, then just invest in the RP range from the start as and when you can afford it. You'll waste less money that way.

Not sure if this helps, but that's my experience to date...

• Like 2