Forte III's on the way. Need help with pre-amp

Raygun

I didn't read through all the replies... However, If you amp preamp combo is simply too loud at its lowest gain, why not try some RCA Cables as the voltage output should be lower than balanced output and your noise level with a short run should be non existent I would think.  If that doesn't work, perhaps the amp is simply too much power for your need.  Perhaps sell that and get a lower power tube (or SS) integrated if that seems to be the level at which most of your listening consists?   You could pocket cash and get killer sound out of your setup.  Just thinking out loud. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 10:36 PM, Raygun said:

what preamp will have a low noise floor, and a volume control that goes very quiet with high efficiency speakers that other members have used in their systems. I can research the individual preamps on my own and determine if their feature set will work. I don't expect the community to do that work for me. I just need user experiences from folks who have systems that can play very quiet with efficient speakers with a low noise floor...and not be tubes. 

The ALPS potentiometer has a very fine touch, very low initial volume level, and I'm sure that would apply to most any preamp it's attached to. They make motorized versions since you want remote control. IMO any preamp that has this potentiometer would be a good possibility.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:36 AM, Raygun said:

I am pretty much a CD guy.

I am currently using a modded Denon CD player, but that may get changed out early next year. 

I am more curious what others have used for preamps that simply have a low noise floor and with a volume pod that allows them to listen very quietly. 

I understand a preamp is what you're focusing on, but you could change out your Denon for an Oppo. Oppo Bluray players (model BDP-80 and newer) have an analog gain adjust 0-100 on the remote. That will allow for whatever low level listening you like, and it keeps that level through powering off and on.

Thanks guys and gals! I read through all the comments (even if I did not reply) and you all have given me some great food for thought! 

The speakers arrived about 20 min ago and I have them fired up now. Gonna edit my OP with the pic. 

As I predicted at the lowest volume it is louder, tolerable, but right at that line of being too loud if you were on a phone call. 

I'll look into preamps as these break in over a couple weeks. I also want to get to know them with the parasound I have ATM so I can discern differences when I compare them. 

Thank you again, you all are great!!!!

• Like 2