Recycling dropoff finds

Marvel

I have a co-worker who is from Russia, who every few days goes to a nearby recycling drop off facility. Since we work in IT, he's always looking at computers. This past week he came back with a couple of Dell rack mount servers, out of warranty, of course but mint condition. Lots of memory, quad xeon CPUs.

Today he comes back with some Polk RT55i and a Nakamichi receiver. Looks to be in perfect shape... not a high end receiver, an RE10, but still.

• Like 3

Moztly the one place. The city has about ten locations, and they a staffed by individual from our organization. We support folks with intellectual and developmental disabilities, school age and up. We have over 60 residential houses.

So the one spot is only five minutes from our main facility/campus. He's usually dropping off our old and broken computer gear, so he just always looks to see what is there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

. . . even if you do collaborate with a Russian

He is an interesting guy. He came over here with a degree that no one would accept. Worked cleaning floors at gas stations/convenience stores, driving across Tennessee, all night. He listened to movies/radio, whatever, to learn English. Went back to school and got a degree in computer science. He really pretty nice, sound just like Dru from the minions movies, but sometimes he is gruff and rude. I guess, like a lot of people from here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago I looked as a pair of McIntosh XR 19's a guy was selling.  

He said he found them at the local Habitat for Humanity location.  

Did not tell me what he paid for them, but I doubt it was the $2649 each original list.  

Turns out he had to have pretty much every speaker refoamed (woofer, mid X2, and tweeter X12, per speaker).  

Did not mention any repairs to the crossovers.  

They actually sounded pretty good, had nice wood, and were as big as Bozak Concert Grands.  

He did want a grand price for them though.  I passed.  

Not sure if that qualified as dumpster diving.