Recapping or new Crites crossovers for Forte II's

StratCountry

The layout of the Crites will provide a small improvement in performance. Perhaps you can ask for a demonstration? What you will hear will depend upon both you and the resolution of your system, it won't be a big difference but there will be a difference you are probably good with the fresh caps installed and only you can answer your question.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

@314carpenter, aren't those your speakers? 

Yep. Buyers choice. I prefer the Crites boards over DIY recaps due to the larger separation of the components, rock solid workmanship, and upgraded autoformers. Not everything in speaker design is purely focused on sound quality

Of course the primary reason for reworking the crossover at all is that they are nearly 30 years old and the quality of the original crossover parts selection IMHO were merely adequate at best when they were brand new and have now likely gone out of spec causing audible changes (not for the better) in various frequencies responses throughout the entire bandwidth of the speaker.

As for why I have 2 crossovers choices for sale in the first place.....came out of another pair I sold previously 

8 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Yep. Buyers choice. I prefer the Crites boards over DIY recaps due to the larger separation of the components, rock solid workmanship, and upgraded autoformers. Not everything in speaker design is purely focused on sound quality

I've rebuild numerous pairs of Chorus / Chorus II speakers over the years and have done both; sent in stock crossovers to Crites for a rebuild and purchased new drop ins. I notice a slight difference / improvement with the drop in replacements they seem to tighten up the bass a little bit and flush out some of the inner detail when listening critically. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, StratCountry said:

I have a chance to buy a pair of Forte II speakers in excellent condition. The owner says they were recapped and does have a pair of Crites crossovers for sale for $200.

Would there be any benefit (music sound quality) by adding the crossovers?

Klipsch Forte II.jpg

May I ask what you paid for them? Looking to sell my pair which are stock, and want to ask a fair price. Thanks and congrats. They are awesome speakers!!

35 minutes ago, Imsjry said:

North/Central Wisconsin (Oshkosh, Appleton, Neenah area). 

I'll buy your pair of Forte II. I will pick them up. I need a home for my crossovers. Send me a PM. You could come to my place and listen to Chorus II modded/non-modded vs Forte II modded/non-modded vs JBL. They are all heavy. Be ready for a workout if you come by.

• Like 1