I feel like a schmuck (youtube music)

Thaddeus Smith

I stayed home sick from work today - the shifting seasons of N. Texas always wreak havoc on my allergies and the last 10 days have been no exception. The family has also been conveniently gone all day with their normal routine. So that's left me with an inordinate amount of... alone time.

So I fired up NPR Tiny Desk concerts on youtube via my main system. I've known about this channel for quite some time, but never given it much thought as a source for serious music listening. It's always been a novelty in my mind, somthing I play randomly at work as I come across recommendations. Youtube at large has fallen prey to that assumption - that of poorly recorded phone "demos" and home videos.

So I decided to try some channels, and wow! There are quite a few channels with really well recorded live music and fresh artists! Here's a few I've been running through..

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts

OurVinyl

The Wild Honey Pie

Audiotree

KEXP

Bookmarked (based on recommendations around the web), but not yet listened to:

Out of Town Films

WBGO

Jazz Night in America

Sofar Sounds

Pitchfork Live

La Blogotheque

Just goes to show that even when one feels fairly firm on the edge of modern trends there's still little pockets of experience to new knowledge to be had.

• Like 4

@Thaddeus Smith

Sorry you are not feeling well today...... .but if you have to be home recovering, you have found some good stuff in the Tiny Desk Concerts.

Sting, Florence & the Machine, Blue Man Group and Sesame Street, just to pick a few, always make me feel better.

There are hundreds to choose from, easy to find something to make you smile.

• Like 1

Thad, I'm in the same boat. Got me a new knee Monday and am looking for some mind numbing activity. I will check these out. I have already watched a few of the tiny desk series and found most of them enjoyable.

Hope to do a little more surfing tomorrow if i feel better. Tonight I think i will double up on my pain meds and venture out into ebay. What's the worst that could happen??

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Just goes to show that even when one feels fairly firm on the edge of modern trends there's still little pockets of experience to new knowledge to be had.

This is one of my favorite quotes that I've lived by since I was a kid.  

“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.”   by Kurt Vonnegut.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

Why?  Thanking me NEVER gets old.  

Hehehe.. I used the Peter Dinklage gif just recently, so Carl is holding me to task. There's another good one I found and used in a PM the other day, so I refrained from using it here. There's surprisingly few options if one is wanting to walk the fine line of snark without being mean, violating TOS, etc.