Budget vinyl set-up JBL L110 vs Heresy

Goathorn

My daughter is into vinyl, and in the interest of encouraging this hobby, I’m upgrading her rig for her birthday (#17). I bought her a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 and a Project Carbon Debut to pair up with some minty JBL L110s. But now I’m wondering how Herseys would compare to the L110s, and whether it would be worth switching. I have Cornwalls myself (which I love) and have owned Chorus 1s, but never Heresy.  She mostly listens to classic rock, and it will be set up in her bedroom (14x16). 

• Like 1

You will get a ton Of bass from the jbl’s and the mids are not all the great. The Klipsch is more of a audiophiles speakers
I’ve owned the jbl’s and many many many of the Klipsch and always go back to the Klipsch
For a younger person they may want the over power of the bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set her up with the L110s.  You already have them, they do well with classic rock, and are forgiving of bad recordings. 

Then every week or so, spend some quality time with her listening to the Cornwalls together.  She will eventually realize the difference and will probably wind up with Fortes some day on her birthday (same footprint).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Set her up with the L110s.  You already have them, they do well with classic rock, and are forgiving of bad recordings. 

Yes, these will probably sound terrific with a bunch of vinyl or streaming audio. They certainly aren't bad sounding, and would even do well when going off to college. My younger son took an H/K 430 and a pair of JBL 2 ways off to school.

11 hours ago, Marvel said:

Yes, these will probably sound terrific with a bunch of vinyl or streaming audio. They certainly aren't bad sounding, and would even do well when going off to college. My younger son took an H/K 430 and a pair of JBL 2 ways off to school.

Bruce,

I have a pair of JBL LX55's which are a cheap follow up to the L100T series.  They are actually pretty good and, as stated, forgiving.  Not great and detailed, but very nice. 

I had JBL L60T's as my first real speakers when I was 19.  I couldn't afford Heresys with those 'big 12" woofers - I didn't realize they were weak in bass and would have been very disappointed with them at that age.  I enjoyed the L60's with subwoofers through my 20s and finally replaced then with K Horns in my early 30s. 

On 9/26/2019 at 9:22 AM, Marvel said:

Yeah, this was my thinking as well. She’ll be off to college in a couple years and this type of set-up should serve her well. Although I started out looking for a vintage receiver and turntable, I decided to go with new stuff so she won’t have to deal with the inevitable problems. The big day is coming up so I’ll report back. 

On 9/25/2019 at 8:02 PM, Goathorn said:

My daughter is into vinyl, and in the interest of encouraging this hobby, I’m upgrading her rig for her birthday (#17). I bought her a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 and a Project Carbon Debut to pair up with some minty JBL L110s. But now I’m wondering how Herseys would compare to the L110s, and whether it would be worth switching. I have Cornwalls myself (which I love) and have owned Chorus 1s, but never Heresy.  She mostly listens to classic rock, and it will be set up in her bedroom (14x16). 

A couple notions.  What's her take on the speakers.  Is she already using the JBLs?  Or is the whole thing a surprise and the considered JBLs are themselves a step up from what she's using?  The other notion is go ahead and get some Heresys.  Either she doesn't know what either sound like and you can get her hooked on horns early, or she'll have a preference and you can let her choose.  You'll still have a good set of fallback speakers either way.

It’s a surprise for her birthday, which is later this week. She has absolutely no idea what she’s getting. The only thing music related she asked for this year is PF’s Wish You Were Here. She’s been using an inexpensive Sony TT and some powered speakers from Best Buy for about two years, so this will be a huge upgrade. I noticed her and a couple friends have been making cassettes with an old portable machine, so I’ll be giving her a nice Nak CR-1A to play with as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter was quite happy with her birthday gift. The components work well together. Definitely can fill her bedroom with sound, and fortunately, it sounds terrific at low volume levels. The day before we gave it too her, I set up the JBLs in place of the Cornwalls in my system. I thought the JBLs sounded fine. However, the Cornwalls sounded so much more open and present in comparison. 

On 9/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, Goathorn said:

You already know what's gonna happen if you set her up with KIlpsch speakers, it will usher in a life-long love of horns and midrange crunch. I don't know what you're waiting for.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:46 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Bruce,

I have a pair of JBL LX55's which are a cheap follow up to the L100T series.  They are actually pretty good and, as stated, forgiving.  Not great and detailed, but very nice. 

I had JBL L60T's as my first real speakers when I was 19.  I couldn't afford Heresys with those 'big 12" woofers - I didn't realize they were weak in bass and would have been very disappointed with them at that age.  I enjoyed the L60's with subwoofers through my 20s and finally replaced then with K Horns in my early 30s. 

My older son recently refoamed a pair of L46. He had picked up 2 pair years ago. One of the pairs is what the younger one took to college. I'm sure they need work by now.

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

My older son recently refoamed a pair of L46. He had picked up 2 pair years ago. One of the pairs is what the younger one took to college. I'm sure they need work by now.

I bought some L20s for nostalgia.  I am hooking them up to the same receiver I used in the 80s.  I need to take the tweeters apart and replace the foam behind the diaphragm.