Vintage LaScala and MAHL DE120 tweeters

Don McPhee

Just thought I would post this, Dave  with Field Weld contacted me offered me a great try it now you’ll like it by it deal on his aluminum lens with 120 drivers. I’ve been running them at TV volume for about 24 hours and will start pumping some music through them this evening. If they  sound half as good as they look I’ll be pleased. So far initial findings ; first couple hours well,....as they break in they sound like they need broken in, LOL. Since then I’ve run some music through them at the 12 hour mark and they sound very nice .  These are a impressive product, machine to the nth degree , They look amazing, looks like it belongs in the space shuttle. I’d be very interested in a drop in 2 inch squaker  horn  Machined out of aluminum like the tweeter. 

I spent an extensive amount of time on the phone talking to Dave, he seems to be the real deal I look forward to working with him in the future. I will follow up with  results in the near future 

98BCC103-BF0A-4D6D-9A33-5FCF6F43BAC8.jpeg

57F22114-EFA2-4325-9A30-B84901E4069A.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 3:03 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

I plan to join thay club soon I'm sure.   Just been lagging it a bit.... But we've already been in communication.  

I really like mine and would definitely buy them again! 

Sorry I corrected it. I would freely by them even if money was tight and needed to post bail I might choose to sit it out saving the money so to be able to afford them. 

46 minutes ago, brians7 said:

I really like mine and would definitely buy them again! 

Sorry I corrected it. I would freely by them even if money was tight and needed to post bail I might choose to sit it out saving the money so to be able to afford them. 

That's quite a statement.   What tweeters did you replace and why are so fond of them since the lust is that primitive? 

• Haha 1

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_2019_10/1835829269_20190623_200405tweeter.jpg.be50d50de91759623f753a612e676517.jpg

I bought the one on the rite from Dave at Fastlane audio and the did not fit rite. It turns out that my Belle speakers have a weird size k77 tweeters so Dave A made me the ones on the left for me they fit like glove. 

Dave did the same for me. The LS II has a different tweeter. Same K-77 driver, wider horn. 

In fact Dave machined them while we sat and listened to music. 

Glad he did not pull out the ‘shine. Leaving his place in the dark was a bit challenging sober. When it gets dark there, it is really dark.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK it's official, I took the plunge and bought a pair of the MAHL tweeters that Dave was kidn enough to paint black for me along with the B&C DE10 tweeters.   I'll need to spend more time with the setup, but my first thoughts are that they are VERY clear and detailed while remaining slightly relaxed in a good way.   I appreciate the effort put forth by @Dave A and @ClaudeJ1 (I think you did the testing?) along with plenty of others I'm sure.   I REALLY like what I'm hearing here after the first hour or so.   Strong work gents! 

20191010_145112.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I appreciate the effort put forth by @Dave A and @ClaudeJ1 (I think you did the testing?) along with plenty of others I'm sure.   I REALLY like what I'm hearing here after the first hour or so.   Strong work gents! 

Yes, I did the testing and gently nudged DaveA to produce the larger version in an ellipse with a tractrix-like flare. I owned 4 of the DE-10 about 10 years ago on my 'horn stack" to replace JBL Baby Butt cheek tweeters. They are the best bang for the buck in tweeter drivers!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, I did the testing and gently nudged DaveA to produce the larger version in an ellipse with a tractrix-like flare. I owned 4 of the DE-10 about 10 years ago on my 'horn stack" to replace JBL Baby Butt cheek tweeters. They are the best bang for the buck in tweeter drivers!

These are some KILLER tweeters.   This is exactly what I needed and I'm thrilled. It's strange that the treble is a touch hotter, (likely due to sensitivity /horn in guessing?) yet smoother.... Makes for a very pleasant combo. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

These are some KILLER tweeters.   This is exactly what I needed and I'm thrilled. It's strange that the treble is a touch hotter, (likely due to sensitivity /horn in guessing?) yet smoother.... Makes for a very pleasant combo. 

Brushes on cymbals can almost be touched in 3d space.

• Like 1