7.1 setup - what speakers to match existing

logan8246

hi, I have a home theater setup consisting of - Fronts - Ref IV RF82s, Center - REF IV RC 62, and sides REF IV RS-52s and Sub is RW 12 D

I was wanting to go to a 7.1 and add some rear speakers and thought i would just add another pair of RS-52s. Unfortunately i cant seem to find any of the series 1 or series II available anywhere.

• for the Rears in the setup would you recommend another set of Dipoles like the RS-52s or something else. I would prefer on wall speakers.
  • If everyone agrees the dipoles would work fine for the rear speakers, does anyone know where i can find some of can  you tell me what now avialble klipsch speakers would work well with the system listed above?

I am also considering going to 9.1 and adding a pair of in ceiling speakers.

• KlipschKLP-DS-160W-WH is being recommended to me for the in ceiling speakers. any thoughts on these?
  • I did notice that they are classified as in wall speakers rather than in ceiling. Does that make a difference? (quite a big open attic above ceiling of theater room)

Thanks for everyone help

IMHO this whole matching thing is overblown. I have La Scala fronts, Zu Audio cube center, and Sonance VP80 in ceiling surround x4 (7.1)-in ceiling necessitated by room config. It sounds lovely and rocks for movies- good stuff should generally sound good together, and large surrounds arent really needed unless you are looking for ear damaging sound pressure levelsIn our last home had an all Deftech system which was great, but compared to what I have now (more musically oriented) I cant see what difference brand and voice matching made....maybe I'm not "audiophile" enough to tell, but I know good when I hear it.....

20190808_180401.jpg

Rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup have a little more flexibility as far as not quite being quite as crucial to timbre match as your front three.  It is recommended to go with a non-dipole or bipole speaker for rear surrounds, though.  Most any modern Klipsch Reference bookshelf speaker will work very well if you can't find something like the RB-61 or 81 which would technically be the matching bookshelf surround. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, Shiva said:

Nice room. Your Zu cube sparked my curiosity and hit up their website.  A 10" coaxial driver, 98db efficient and not a bad price either.  A very compact dynamic speaker for center channel duty.  👍

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/cube-1a  

exactly...that's why it works well...and it matches the La Scalas...