Cornwall IV decision? New VS. Orig

Allhartfidelity

Cory has some you can listen to he is in Kentucky area. Klipsch page on FB. He also did a review on them. I think all the prices are to high but it raises my old stuff up in price. There is a pair of Ks on craigs now he wants 12,000 lol he did have them at 18,000.lol. . Probably wont get that but he can try. 

I bet sales are down since price hike so not sure if that was good idea. The parent company is losing money on everything but Klipsch so they trying to make more money. 

Cornwall 4 I would wait till used ones pop up and then buy them if I was looking. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2019 at 3:57 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Lol!  Yep. That’s what I do. I troll to find ways to get ideas on the next klipsch speakers. That’s why I am the chief bonehead......

Speaking of the next Klipsch speaker. How about the Forte Horn set with 2 8's in a folded cabinet for a center speaker. I prefer the limited ebony finish with the salt and pepper grills please. (I don't know if 2 8's would even work in a cabinet like that, just putting out this post for fun...but seriously we need a center channel for the heritage line or ima stick with 2 channel). 

• 4 weeks later...

Klipsch has almost always out-sourced their drivers for everything they ever designed and/or sold....except for a short span of years in two increments when they actually made their own drivers for some of what they designed! SO what is really new about this concept?  Many consider a good part of PWK's genius was his ability to take existing drivers from outside vendors and utilize them  in his speaker designs...SURE, he may have requested tighter quality control of what he bought in order to consistently meet the particular parameters required in his designs, but they were already being produced by vendors, such as Eminence, EV, University, ...the list goes on and on...he just designed the HORNS they were attached to for his mid-ranges...so it isn't like doing that is anything RECENT, is it?  Some people expound that PWK COULD have opted for much better drivers, but how much better do they REALLY NEED TO BE, anyway?  As long as they had great dependability and long-life under normal usage...and most importantly met his design needs, then what is the point of dissing them for not being "the best ones made" at any particular point in time, huh?? One of his goals was AFFORDABILITY for the consumer!  Never forget that part of the equation, OK?  I mean...who the hell else offered up a "decorator" series of most all of its speaker models for more than a decade and a half to save the consumer even more on acquiring great performance in a reasonably-priced design??  Think about it! 

So, now let's look at the CURRENT Heritage line...which are all NOW identically-voiced...again  Do you have any idea how much of an accomplishment that REALLY IS?!  That means that you can mix and match among the current  line with the CONFIDENCE of identical voicing!  That is a pretty damned big deal to MY EARS!...and IMHO, it SHOULD BE TO YOURS, ALSO!  I gotta hand it to Chief Bonehead on this one, for sure!  But what is still missing from the heritage line-up?  Not much, really!...except maybe...

One thing would be nice, though...a dedicated center channel which is easy to position under a TV screen, without resorting to a Heresy between two Cornwalls, for example.  Maybe something that has the identical voicing of the line in its highs/mids, but with a horizontal configuration, along with a  small series of subwoofers to pick from to go with it...as solo units or in pairs....with the balancing network actually inside the powered subwoofer?...so that the mid/high unit  would be balanced to either of the subs BY the subs?  Can that even be accomplished?? Basically a three-speaker stereo array center channel thing, but combined with a sub or two, ...with recommendations for which sub would be best for the heritage models used as flankers??  Say...maybe the same sub for the LaScalas or Cornwalls, but adjustable for the bottom-end roll-off differences between the two models??...with another bass/sub unit for the Heresys doing the duty of flankers?  Just a thought...Hint!  Hint!  Is anybody from the Bodcaw, AR area  listening??  A two-piece center channel, man...you keep the HF section and change out the bass/sub portion as you move up through the Heritage line with your flankers!  IS ANY OTHER speaker manufacturer even DOING THAT kind of thing?? An added bonus for the powered bass/sub unit would be an alternate amp feature so that one could bypass the unit's own amp section and power it with an outside amp of his choice.  But one thing for sure is definitely needed for the powered units...and that is a long-lasting reliable High-quality built-in amp!   I find it hard to believe that PWK never "had a vision" for its possibilities!  I can just see it NOW...somebody out leisurely fishing and running it through his mind!😉

• Like 1

They look fantastic. The "mumps" in the horn is such a good idea it is amazing no one thought of it before. They would be worth a listen but I think there will be many who just take the chance and buy them unheard. I did exactly that with my Ohms and haven't been disappointed. To those familiar with the Heritage sound the "risk" is greatly lessened.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:36 AM, ricktate said:

Cory has some you can listen to he is in Kentucky area. Klipsch page on FB. He also did a review on them. I think all the prices are to high but it raises my old stuff up in price. There is a pair of Ks on craigs now he wants 12,000 lol he did have them at 18,000.lol. . Probably wont get that but he can try. 

I bet sales are down since price hike so not sure if that was good idea. The parent company is losing money on everything but Klipsch so they trying to make more money. 

Cornwall 4 I would wait till used ones pop up and then buy them if I was looking. 

Price hikes are happening EVERYWHERE...thanks to just about EVERYWHERE raising its minimum wages or even creating minimum wages around the world...the past year or so, or haven't you been noticing it?  Even in  the Philippines it is happening way out in all of the provinces!  Prices follow-suit wherever it happens too!...NORMALLY  WELL BEFORE THE LAW ACTUALLY GOES INTO EFFECT!  Two years ago, in Bohol province, the average wage for a housekeeper was about 60 USD a month...with the new minimum wage laws, it has risen to 100USD per month, now.  Mostly due to the prices of things going up that are needed for basic survival.   This is happening world-wide lately...so watch how it will affect us all!  We've had relatively stable prices for a long time, but that is rapidly gonna change and has already started to do so!  Thank God that I have been stashing money back the last couple of years anticipating this happening!  I just hope that the inflation rate doesn't go zooming upwards out of control anytime soon!

Klipsch is fortunate that so many people see many of their products as a lifetime acquisition...built to last and perform well for decades!  That is in their favor!  SO I sincerely doubt they will have much problems in their price increases as long as the consumers continue to see the products as high quality and built to last a lifetime...it will be problematic item sales which will suffer the most, IMHO!  Keep the quality up, and it tends to be a non-issue!  After all, even back in the mid 1970's and into the mid 1980's when our economy sucked and other audio companies were going out of business, or getting bought-up by more stable corporations like Harmon International...which acquired both JBL and Altec during that time period!!...But, Klipsch was doing just fine, and even thriving...even with price increases happening every 6 months or so, at times!  It is all about getting the most bang for the buck during difficult economic times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

We've had relatively stable prices for a long time, but that is rapidly gonna change and has already started to do so!  ...  I just hope that the inflation rate doesn't go zooming upwards out of control anytime soon!

Pretty much everything described in that post is evidence of inflation (perhaps more properly monetary deflation).  I'd like to say it would be nice if our money were still real (gold/silver based), but even that's not immune from manipulation by those with very much of it (way more than anybody has a need or actual right to it).

On 9/27/2019 at 12:41 PM, Allhartfidelity said:

Curiouse, on the new Cornwall IV am I pissing up a rope here wanting to put a set up against my Belle? They retail for 6k. With "outsourced" parts what am I looking at? Has it come down to a speaker designed to hook a Herratige lover, offering little by way of off the shelf advancement over an upgraded original?  My Bell for example, is not longer old. Likely no longer Klipsch. 

Can anyone explain the benefits a new speaker would have over an upgraded old model?

You will have to hear them.  My first reaction was, "Oh, Wow!" 

If you care more about parts than sound, you will not like them, no matter how good they are. 

To "upgrade" a Cornwall I or II to IV levels will require massive cabinet mods and a squawker made from unobtanium.  After seeing a bit about the new network, I think you'd spend weeks stumbling in the dark. 

• Thanks 1

They are most definitely number 1 on my want list, eclipsing even the  Khorns. Placement and usability are the key elements. My wife gave tacit approval for Khorns a few years back, but our condo could not properly utilize them. Chances are when we retire and move, corner issues will yet again be an issue. Keep in mind the original Khorn era was that of single speaker mono.

The new IV seems to have it all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SuperMario said:

What's the main difference in sound compared to the Cornwall III ? Also how do they stack up against the RF-7 III and Forte III ?

They sound more open than the Cornwall 3’s. Smoother and punchier than the RF 7’s and have a larger soundstage than the Forte 3’s. They sound awesome!

• Thanks 2