Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Allhartfidelity

Cornwall IV decision? New VS. Orig

Recommended Posts

I've been trying to decide on a pair of CW IV, but since I cant demo a pair or look inside, I figured I would ask here. The Cornwall looks to have the larger mid, like I saw over the years in this forum used from the Chorus ll. Was Klipsch listening?

 

I had a pair of RF7lll I got form a deceased friend. Looked inside, listened, saw what i thought were chinese parts, heard what i felt was not the Klipsch i knew, and sold them in a week.

 

I have had Lascala, Belle, and Heresy for years, so maybe I just like the Herritage. I know the RF is for different purpose and taste.

 

 My Belle have Volti Audio wood 2" throat mids, Volti xovers, bms mid drivers, EV t350 driven with a 300b amp.

 

Curiouse, on the new Cornwall IV am I pissing up a rope here wanting to put a set up against my Belle? They retail for 6k. With "outsourced" parts what am I looking at? Has it come down to a speaker designed to hook a Herratige lover, offering little by way of off the shelf advancement over an upgraded original?  My Bell for example, is not longer old. Likely no longer Klipsch. 

 

 Can anyone explain the benefits a new speaker would have over an upgraded old model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allhartfidelity said:

Can anyone explain the benefits a new speaker would have over an upgraded old model?

 

New = Design and Performance verified by a highly trained and experienced engineer (Chief Bonehead) using testing facilities capable of measuring and verifying the design goals of the Cornwall IV.

 

miketn

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allhartfidelity said:

 My Belle have Volti Audio wood 2" throat mids, Volti xovers, bms mid drivers, EV t350 driven with a 300b amp

 

 

So, basically, you have Belle cabinets.....not actual Belles anymore. ;)  I can say that (jokingly) because I built a pair of Belle "clones" and the only thing real "Belle" are the top grills, K-500 horns, and a new pair of K-33 woofers.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure that your modified Belle's sound great and there's no way that I would personally spend 6K on a set of any speakers that I haven't heard and know what to expect, especially with your reference set.  That said, I would figure out a way to demo a pair somewhere and also consider one of the many Cornscala projects with an older pair, but either way, you really need to hear them.  I have Cornwall 2's and built split cornscala's and I would imagine that the new Cornwall's are Klipsch doing their professional spin on the DIY cornscala's to address improvements to the mids and tweeters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allhartfidelity said:

I've been trying to decide on a pair of CW IV, but since I cant demo a pair or look inside, I figured I would ask here. The Cornwall looks to have the larger mid, like I saw over the years in this forum used from the Chorus ll. Was Klipsch listening?

 

I had a pair of RF7lll I got form a deceased friend. Looked inside, listened, saw what i thought were chinese parts, heard what i felt was not the Klipsch i knew, and sold them in a week.

 

I have had Lascala, Belle, and Heresy for years, so maybe I just like the Herritage. I know the RF is for different purpose and taste.

 

 My Belle have Volti Audio wood 2" throat mids, Volti xovers, bms mid drivers, EV t350 driven with a 300b amp.

 

Curiouse, on the new Cornwall IV am I pissing up a rope here wanting to put a set up against my Belle? They retail for 6k. With "outsourced" parts what am I looking at? Has it come down to a speaker designed to hook a Herratige lover, offering little by way of off the shelf advancement over an upgraded original?  My Bell for example, is not longer old. Likely no longer Klipsch. 

 

 Can anyone explain the benefits a new speaker would have over an upgraded old model?

Your belles, as Paul would say, have been polluted. They are no longer klipsch. Maybe call them the allhart4.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I'm sure that your modified Belle's sound great and there's no way that I would personally spend 6K on a set of any speakers that I haven't heard and know what to expect, especially with your reference set.  That said, I would figure out a way to demo a pair somewhere and also consider one of the many Cornscala projects with an older pair, but either way, you really need to hear them.  I have Cornwall 2's and built split cornscala's and I would imagine that the new Cornwall's are Klipsch doing their professional spin on the DIY cornscala's to address improvements to the mids and tweeters.  

Lol!  Yep. That’s what I do. I troll to find ways to get ideas on the next klipsch speakers. That’s why I am the chief bonehead......

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

 

New = Design and Performance verified by a highly trained and experienced engineer (Chief Bonehead) using testing facilities capable of measuring and verifying the design goals of the Cornwall IV.

 

miketn

And don’t forget miketn.......I troll. 🤓

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

And don’t forget miketn.......I troll. 🤓

Oh, so like the designers of ALK, Crites, and Volti do?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I'm sure that your modified Belle's sound great and there's no way that I would personally spend 6K on a set of any speakers that I haven't heard and know what to expect, especially with your reference set.  That said, I would figure out a way to demo a pair somewhere and also consider one of the many Cornscala projects with an older pair, but either way, you really need to hear them.  I have Cornwall 2's and built split cornscala's and I would imagine that the new Cornwall's are Klipsch doing their professional spin on the DIY cornscala's to address improvements to the mids and tweeters.  

This, makes sense and while actually addressing my question thank you. It was a bone stock Lascala that got my attention on Klipsch anyway, and now curious about the Cornwall IV. But I do have fear not having heard them. 

   Also curious,  Klipsch is "assembled" in the USA. Their words. Also, have "outsourced" parts. Does this mean chinese parts? I had the RF7lll here for a short time, and couldnt get rid of them fast enough.

  Sure maybe that sound just doesnt suit me, but opened them up like I have many hundreds of speakers and they looked cheaply made. 

 I would hate to get a new Cornwall and have chinese parts. There, I've said it. Is this the case today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

And don’t forget miketn.......I troll. 🤓

 

* Troll Bonehead. Lives under a bridge in the vicinity of Hope, AR. Dabbles in building speakers designed by others, 

specializes in catching fish — 🎣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s do the math shall we? $6,000.00 divided by $0.01= 600,000 seconds = 10,000 minutes = 166.66 hours = 0.99 weeks. Listen to those BRAND NEW @Chief bonehead MONSTERS for only 1 hour per night and the cornwall 4’s will be “paid” for in 24 weeks ish! Any further enjoyment is a bonus and the cost per minute will continue to reduce. I really like the heritage lines and LOVE the cinema/pro line I cant say the same about the reference line.

Those Belle’s of yours have some very fine components in them, will they beat a new cornwall only you can decide that based on your ears in your room with your gear but my money is on the C4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

* so after 24 weeks give or take, CW4 will actually owe You 💰? I like your mathematical skills —.

Do I send the bill to Bonehead ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allhartfidelity said:

 

   Also curious,  Klipsch is "assembled" in the USA. Their words. Also, have "outsourced" parts. Does this mean chinese parts? I had the RF7lll here for a short time, and couldnt get rid of them fast enough.

Here is a link to a post by Jason Stoddard, one of the founders of Schiit audio, addressing this issue. Apparently if all components of a product are not entirely made in the 🇺🇸, e.g. Trees for Baltic birch plywood, steel used for screws, copper for wires etc, then the FTC has decreed that the final product may not be labeled "Made in the USA"

 

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-2884#post-14735246

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rockhound said:

Let’s do the math shall we? $6,000.00 divided by $0.01= 600,000 seconds = 10,000 minutes = 166.66 hours = 0.99 weeks. Listen to those BRAND NEW @Chief bonehead MONSTERS for only 1 hour per night and the cornwall 4’s will be “paid” for in 24 weeks ish! Any further enjoyment is a bonus and the cost per minute will continue to reduce. I really like the heritage lines and LOVE the cinema/pro line I cant say the same about the reference line.

Those Belle’s of yours have some very fine components in them, will they beat a new cornwall only you can decide that based on your ears in your room with your gear but my money is on the C4.

 

 

It's nice to see my logic/evil propagating, @rockhound 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do prefer the speakers (or any other thing produced) come from the country of engineers that have first laid hands on them. Period. 

Soundwise, I was not thrilled by the sound signature of Reference line of Klipsch. Haven't heard the RF7III, but I doubt that my opinion would change much.

That said, I would love to get my hands on ChiefBonehead's  work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Here is a link to a post by Jason Stoddard, one of the founders of Schiit audio, addressing this issue. Apparently if all components of a product are not entirely made in the 🇺🇸, e.g. Trees for Baltic birch plywood, steel used for screws, copper for wires etc, then the FTC has decreed that the final product may not be labeled "Made in the USA"

 

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-2884#post-14735246

California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Allhartfidelity said:

This, makes sense and while actually addressing my question thank you. It was a bone stock Lascala that got my attention on Klipsch anyway, and now curious about the Cornwall IV. But I do have fear not having heard them. 

   Also curious,  Klipsch is "assembled" in the USA. Their words. Also, have "outsourced" parts. Does this mean chinese parts? I had the RF7lll here for a short time, and couldnt get rid of them fast enough.

  Sure maybe that sound just doesnt suit me, but opened them up like I have many hundreds of speakers and they looked cheaply made. 

 I would hate to get a new Cornwall and have chinese parts. There, I've said it. Is this the case today? 

Since the USA likes inexpensive items and won't pay the wages required, most componentry is done in China.  Regulations, costs (non-subsidized by gov't), and wages in the US have forced that so we can have cheap stuff.  Next to nothing made in USA is actually made in USA (electronics at least).  Final assembly is a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...