New crossovers for my La Scala

Martin O'Neill

I have a pair of La Scala from 1979 with AA crossovers.

I would like to know what listening value does putting in a new Type AA Pair crossover system would do? 

I am currently playing the La Scala through a McIntosh MA252 which I am enjoying.

Want to know if it is worth the change over?

Thanks 

M O'Neill

Probably don't need a new crossover.

They can be re-bult by putting in new capacitors (search the many threads). You may even want to bypass the capacitors with small cap in parallel (search the many threads). The main decision is how much you want to spend and whether you are comfortable doing the work yourself. Personally I don't think the improvements require huge amounts of money spent on caps, but I may be in the minority around here. The replacement itself is fairly straight forward. However there are competent people on this forum who are quite expert at this service.

If you are conservative with the volume control you might eliminate the diode pair on the board.

Good luck and certainly search the threads,

-Tom

1 hour ago, Martin O'Neill said:

I have a pair of La Scala from 1979 with AA crossovers.

I would like to know what listening value does putting in a new Type AA Pair crossover system would do? 

I am currently playing the La Scala through a McIntosh MA252 which I am enjoying.

Want to know if it is worth the change over?

Thanks 

M O'Neill

If original XO's, they are probably getting a little fatigued by now. So yes its worth it: Time for either new parts or upgraded XO's.

Wb

How old are your La Scalas and which crossover do they have?  Around 30 years without regular use is about the point where you might need to replace the capacitors.  Generally the inductors are good if they were originally good.  Type AL crossovers should be replaced on sight. 

After all that, i have an all original '68 H700 that sounds just like my '67 that had its caps replaced and sounds much like my '79s with replaced caps.  If the music from your La Scalas isn't out in the room with you and maybe a touch impolite, you probably need new caps.  They should sound a lot like M-L SL3s or Magnapans.  La Scalas are never "laid back".