Grumpy Thebes Rides Again

thebes

Excuse me but we don't live in England so why do we have to put with a never ending series of "reports" and "coverage" of the Royal Family?

What da hell is a royal family anywho?  As far as I can gather they are a bunch of truly ugly , dentally challenged British multi-billion corporation masquerading as Hollywood starlets.

I could swear we tossed those "toffers" out of this side of the Pond over 300 years ago, turned their scarlet coats red and chucked their tea.

Told them to "piss off" if I have the nomenclature right. Now they come creeping back in. The latest has something to do with landmines.  Apparently the  kid's mommie did a photo op a decade or two ago pretending to risk her life whilst walking through a cleared minefield. Now the kid is repeating the photo op.  Of course the locals have been getting blown up by these leftover mines before and after the photo ops.  Sure the "Royals" could have put some of their billions towards the cleanup, but I kinda doubt it. I guess the royal motto is "we'll lend you our mugs but not our wherewithal"

Anyone up for invading England?

• Like 1

Gotta say that I've been tired of listening to people with UK accents hawking almost everything for sale here on commercials. Or is it an Aussie accent that hasn't been cute since the same year the "This is a knife" movie quote.

After Mel Gibson did it so excellently in Mad Max all the others should have left it at home!

We have some very interesting accents here in our own country. Some that rile up their longitude or latitude opposites very well. They should be used and celebrated!

• Like 1

Several years ago, i met an actress named Rhona Mitra. She’s British and naturally has a British accent.  We chatted in the theatre after a premiere. I could seriously listen to her talk all day long -- and not just because she’s rather intelligent; but, that accent is off the charts good. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Sounds like The Thebes won’t be bowing to the Queen.  

You sure this isn’t just an extension of your Beatles hatred?

The "Queen" (sadly not the musical group) granted them "nobility", Sir Ringo etc. Right there says it all.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Several years ago, i met an actress named Rhona Mitra. She’s British and naturally has a British accent.  We chatted in the theatre after a premiere. I could seriously listen to her talk all day long -- and not just because she’s rather intelligent; but, that accent is off the charts good. Love it.

British ladies sound fine.   British gents?  Um no.

I could listen to an Italian woman talk all day without a clue as to what she's saying.  It's a beautiful language. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Was selling a home, and I owned a Range Rover at the time. So had an older couple come to see place and they ask about the Range Rover...... and I spoke honestly about that P.O.S. and a tad too earnestly including some debasing of the queen ( although I liked her Corgi’s). Turned out that the Mrs was British and they owned a Range Rover pretty much like mine. Well they agreed about the vehicle but man did she ever bristle up over her majesty. Those Brits love their royalty. Yup, they bought the house and pretty much ruined it best I could see. They did not get along with their neighbors either.

And generally speaking their dentition is horrifying. Try watching the ‘Antiques Roadshow’ from England. The teeth on everyone would gag a maggot. Odd shades of grey/yellow with chunks of ivory angled and tangled every which way. At some point you’d think they’d get em all yanked out and get full dentures. But, for as tied to tradition as the Brits are - the dentures would likely be colored grey/yellow and pitched six ways to midnight. Ewww.

16 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Brian @oldtimer  if meeting and talking with her is “sad” may i have MANY more sad times. oh yeah, we also held hands for a bit that day.  well, shaking hands does involve a moment of hand holding, right? 😀

v1.cjs4NzY5O2o7MTgxODA7MTIwMDs0Mzk7NjUy.jpeg

On 9/27/2019 at 7:28 PM, thebes said:

so why do we have to put with a never ending series of "reports" and "coverage" of the Royal Family?

sensationalism...

for some reason folks like to read / hear about other folks's lives...Cardahian's "I spell this wrong on purpose"...

I suspect folks like a bit of good news in light of what's happening here at home...

I'm sure the Royal Family is screwed just like the rest of us....

I get where you are coming from.  The royals were on the news tonight for some reason. However, my sympathy for billionaires is somewhat restrained. After all they if they need some sympathy they can hire that out..

So who's with me!!!!!!!!!!!!  Invade I say! Show them what the revolution was really all about.

• Like 1

Look, if we take over the place I hear they have a gigantic ferris wheel. That will be ours. Oh, and a place called Piccadilly

I think the latter has something to do with picking out a date for the evening..