HK930

richieb

Deoxit and bulbs may be lightly considered "service", but certainly not a restore, and the OP did not state that it was.  I think for a unit in this condition with the wood case, the asking price is fair.  I've owned several of these X30 units (and currently have a 930 on my Super Heresys) and they are an excellent unit.

Keep in mind that the H/K 930 was right around a grand when new in the early to mid 1970's!  So...even if it needs new caps, and power  transistors replaced or re-lubed, it is still a steal at 450 bucks!...especially when it has a very nice wooden case with it!  BUT, it weighs a ton and I would never want to have one shipped to me UNLESS I was VERY sure it would be packed extremely well!.  This one seems to be cosmetically extremely nice condition!  They are NOT very hard to clean-up, just a time consuming thing to do it...and they have a kazillion fuses in and under them...which SHOULD BE at least checked to ensure they are the correct rating and "fast-blow fuses...PLUS never neglect cleaning the fuse holders while you have the fuses out for checking!  It is VERY conservatively rated at 45 WPC, but it SOUNDS more like it is pushing 100 WPC compared to most stuff in its rating category...then or now...especially NOW!

• Like 3

Over the decades, I’ve enjoyed h/k 430, 630, 730, & 930 receivers with various Klipsch speakers.  I agree with Andy @HDBRbuilder that spending serious money to have them properly serviced (more than Deoxit, bulbs, and fuses) makes sense and cents.  By offering that opinion, I’m not suggesting the seller of the unit implied that bulbs and Deoxit constituted an adequate service for a forty-year-old classic, or that the asking price was not fair for a unit that deserves having that much spent again to genuinely restore it for another decade of service.  Any inference that I was being critical of the seller is incorrect.

Before I weaned myself from tubes and switched to class-D chip amps, I was using a 730, as well as modified Dynaco tube gear.  Several audiophile friends consistently preferred the sound of the Harman Kardon 730 to the tube amps.  I’ve never had a tube amp that didn’t produce a low level hiss from efficient Klipsch tweeters. In contrast, my h/k x30s and class-D chip amps are dead silent at idle.

My son returned his 430, as he wanted the convenience of an AVR to power his Heresys, mostly for TV.  Bruce @Marvel was the beneficiary of my son’s misguided judgment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

It was the lack of remote control....  we're conditioned to having them

Bruce scored.

Actually, we have ALL become too lazy to get up and make things happen...so we sit on our arses and vegetate with one or more remotes in our hands!  It is a very sad situation!  I don't have any remotes for any audio equipment...kinda like it that way, myself! 

As for the H/K 930...it has the absolute BEST tuner of the entire X30 series line-up!

It has been about 20 years since I brought up the H/K X30 models in conversation on the forum...it all started when Justin Webber was looking for something inexpensive to power his Heresys...he was in high school, then!  How time flies!  I think he bought his off of eBay for around 35 bucks!!  He was very happy with it , too!I I got lots of flack from the non-believers when I wrote about how good they were with "heritage" speaker models...but there are lots of believers now, it is nice to see!  The H/K 430 was nowhere near the least expensive reciver in its "power class" when it came out...but in less than a year it became the largest selling receiver in the world...for good reason!  The onlky thing that killed the series off was the Power wars era...people NOT "in the know" just wanted stuff that was "rated" at 100 or more WPC, and ignored the "lower-powered gems" because they were buying based upon spec sheets instead of real quality!  NOBODY ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY had  the ultra-wide-band frequency response of those H/K's...it was MUCH MORE than JUST a sales gimmick!  Even today it shows itself off...almost a half of a century later!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I bought a Kenwood KA-3500 in '76. 35W, when [I remember] they were saying 50W was more than enough

my 630 will make these LaScalas plenty loud

I did a road trip of over 1000 miles to pick up a nice 630 with wooden case from a fellow forum member in southern Ohio a few weeks ago...he demoed it to me when I arrived on his K-horns!  Sounded GREAT!  The road trip cost (with hotel room) exceeded the 200 bucks that I paid for the receiver, but it was worth it to me!  The 630 is an early model in the series, it was replaced in the series by the 730....about the same time that the 430 hit the market! 

The only drawback the 430 MIGHT have is that, unlike its bigger brothers (power rating-wise), it does not have jumpers on the rear connecting the pre-amp section to the amp section...which limits options for using it a bit!  Pre-amp to amp jumpers are nice to have!  That way you can opt for using the amp section with other pre-amps and tuners if you want to do so!...and vice/versa!  Think about it...you can take two of those models, for example, two 730's, and run them for a surround system of four speakers without needing to resort to dropping the ohms output down by using the speaker A plus speaker B controls when using just ONE unit!  That way you end up with a power supply dedicated to each separate channel for four channels!  And the application can be used for a complete home theater ensemble with more identical units feeding the speakers while an AVR preamp is running the show!  That is a win/win situation, in My way of seeing things, anyway!  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

ya remember the remote having a wire ?

and that was a high price option, if available

A wired remote was an option for the Technics RS 676 AUS cassette deck which I bought in 1975...I didn't opt for it.  I still have it,  and it still works great!

• Like 1