Which of these 4 words would have best described you in high school

mr clean

Nerd here.

I was on the robotics team, as part of a Texas wide organization called BEST (boosting engineering, science, and technology). It had several scoring factors, including some beyond the actual science and competition which required documentation of involvement of the school at large. As such, some schools would bring cheerleaders and other school spirit representatives.

Well one of the years I went to state competition at Texas A&M and the main competition was held in their basketball stadium. As a competitor I was on the court floors, but all of the supporters and such were up in the bleachers. A neighboring town to my own was also there, with a couple of cute blonde cheerleaders. As a nerdy pubescent I just couldn't help myself to try and catch a glimpse of the ol bloomers. Yay me, success, and on with the weekend festivities.

Fast forward about 7 or 8 years and I'm in my 20's, dating a girl from a neighboring town. We go through the usual "learning about each other conversations" and I talk about my stint as a robotics nerd. It turns out her older brother (he's my age) also competed in that organization and her dad was a coach since he worked for TI/Raytheon. Oh, that's neat, I thought. As such, because of the family ties, and the fact that she was a prom/homecoming queen cheerleader she went along with her best friend to the state competitions to cheer them on.

Hmm.. interesting... I thought.

We did some comparing of dates and facts, and my then-girlfriend and now-wife was in fact one of the girls whose cheerleading skirts I was upbrowsing.

• Like 4

I guess you could add one more. Hood😎! I was a stoner but got along with everyone. Ran with a few of the rich kids but mostly middle class . Liked to be around people and have a good time. . The girls liked me but it may have been because I made them laugh and I always had the good smoke lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

A little of each.

It is possible to have been a combination, perhaps even a combination of categories not listed in the first post.  In my case, it was Nerd/pre-Hippie/peaceful (or shy) civil disobedient pacifist/science club member for whom 1st period orchestra was a lifesaving therapy. 

At lunch time we would argue about Thoreau, Proudhon, the HUAC, and Martin Mayer's little book HI-FI (we determined that the big corner speakers mounted 1/3 of the way to the ceiling in the auditorium had 4 vertically arrayed 15" University 6303s, each). 

About 40% of the teachers were both incompetent and authoritarian, a deadly combination, sought after by hiring committees, and a combination which increased the probability of students becoming stoners, delinquents, or dedicated to making themselves stupid.  Two of the teachers were a blend of authoritarian and authoritative, but highly talented, and spellbinders in class, so they were liked (or loved) by many students.  Some, like the drama teacher, were pals (and yes, it did work).  His production of The Crucible beat the professional one I saw by miles.  That drama teacher created, wrote and choreographed an extremely vigorous all-faculty song and dance performance, "The Teachers and the Students should be Friends," based on "The Farmers and the Cowmen should be Friends," from Oklahoma!   Those Stoners, Nerds, Jocks and Studs who hadn't quite realized that the faculty was composed of actual human beings saw a glimmer of hope.   

• Like 2

Kinda nerdy, kinda jock, kinda average breeding stallion, a lot of kid who knew if he touched a joint I'd go to prison for life.  Then I woke up a bit when I got my license and could drive. Detroit to the Roostertail for Motown, managing bands and hangin w/this group of crazies from Kent State called The Measles and a local group called The Music Explosion.  It all went South after that.  This, my favorite quote, pretty much sums it up.  “I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.”
 Kurt Vonnegut, Player Piano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1