Which of these 4 words would have best described you in high school

mr clean

45 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

that counts...

you were the one that grabbed the can when that [in]famous line "Hold my beer" came up?

Yup! Had (and still have) a friend that you could tell WHAT he was drinking at the time. If it was beer, he would have a friend in a headlock giving him a dutch rub mumbling "I love ya lil' fu*****" or if he's on whisky he's picking fights with telephone poles......and winning!

Me? I never have and don't drink, smoke, do any drugs, etc. I stood back and had just as much fun watching friends that did. Strongest thing I drink is probably Diet Pepsi.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Kinda nerdy, kinda jock, kinda average breeding stallion, a lot of kid who knew if he touched a joint I'd go to prison for life.  Then I woke up a bit when I got my license and could drive. Detroit to the Roostertail for Motown, managing bands and hangin w/this group of crazies from Kent State called The Measles and a local group called The Music Explosion.  It all went South after that.  This, my favorite quote, pretty much sums it up.  “I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.”
 Kurt Vonnegut, Player Piano

Thats funny you said this. Ive haven't  ever seen that quote, but always felt that way. Ive never been mean unless provoked, and try to get along but  struggle with acting my age at times. I guess its good I never had any kids. I would have been out getting into trouble with them😎

• Haha 1

I was a prep, but finished as a total stoner. I also took dance lessons, art classes and volunteered for the elderly. Waaaay back when I was in HS, we had a smoking area for students.(parental permission required) usually I only hung around there with the other stoners long enough to see who wanted to skip for the day. Crank up some Ozzy, Aerosmith... waste a day. Good times....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AuntBea said:

I was a prep, but finished as a total stoner.

we were saving our lunch money to buy a lid.  $10 back then. HS was interesting.

Not fun... interesting. If I got started on stories, how long ya got?

we had a "smoking area" too.  Not condoned. We sat at a table with plenty of "no man's land" between us and them. In plain sight of the office. Offered protection from the jocks. Did I mention HS was not fun?

On 9/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, mr clean said:

1) Nerd

2) Stoner

3) Jock

4) Stud

I will post were I would fall in after a bit. Just thought this would be kind of fun and throw in some high great school stories to back it up if you like! Peace.

Hey, in 1971, those first two did not even exist yet in my high school when I graduated!  You need to take a time-out and re-figure this method to get our answers to the security questions for our bank accounts and such!  You are leaving way too many of the forum members out of contention...do you realize how many of us are drawing Social Security retirement checks nowadays??  Maybe replace "stoner" with outdoorsman as into hunting and fishing and camping...and "nerd" can be replaced with studious and/or productive.

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

good point

we were outcasts, for sure.

Most of us were not from around here. One of "us" was the son of a poobah with bikers.  they showed up one afternoon

nickle/dime?  heard of. 

ours were all dimes and measured by finger/s depth.

We all just kept our eyes on all the places which used to be farm-steads out in the countryside...and had horse corrals at one time...because them smart-alleck "collitch" kids would find them and plant seeds and we would be there to harvest "our share" of the tops when they got gooey like bubble gum in yer pocket on a hot summer day...too easy!  Then we would "borrow" Dad's corncob pipe and have fun!  We just called doing that the "local redneck-invoked wacky-tobacky tax"!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Hey, in 1971, those first two did not even exist yet in my high school when I graduated!

Well, not in your high school, but I would think there would have been nerds back to Galileo, Kepler, Copernicus,  Leeuwenhoek, and those dudes ... no ... all the way back to Sumer in 3,500 - 4,000 B.C., where the nerds played with the latest in hi-tech --- the wheel.  "I can roll may dad's sun disk farther than you can roll your dad's sun disk!"  At least they didn't have their slide rules in holsters, and their pocket protectors in the shirts mom (or grandma) bought them, like our guys did.

At Fremont High, in Oakland, California, there were plenty of nerds in our science club and our orchestra in the late '50s, early '60's.

As for stoners, I'm not sure ... if we convert that to "pre-hippie," the Beats fascinated us, even though we were too young to glory in their culture in person.  We were well aware of the San Francisco Renaissance and we even had a satire/celebration of it in a production with dancers to a marvelous, long drum solo, carrying the "credits" on long strips of construction paper.   One read "Censored by Wailing Waugh."  Mr. Waugh was the principal.  That credit was absent in the second assembly.  We had read "Howl," and could appreciate the line, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness ..."  We knew one or two cases like that, in which very promising individuals were gobbled up by Moloch the Eater of Children.  We knew the Beats tended to use marijuana, peyote, and the worst of the time, Benzedrine, but I never saw any used by my age group until about 1965, well after high school.  Starting shortly after graduation were the Kennedy years.  He gave us hope; he seemed like an older brother.  Little concrete change occurred, but he was encouraging.  Several I knew joined the Peace Corps.  We heard him speak at the UC Berkeley Colosseum, talking about "the broad view," overcoming differences, and respecting adversaries.  We were ready!  We marched for Civil Rights, questioned the Military Industrial (thanks for coining the phrase in your farewell warning, Ike!), read Paul Goodman, and then ...

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:40 AM, mr clean said:

I always had at least 3 levi jackets like that

I still have mine. It's got the sheep wool lining. Nothing could touch Levi's, back in the day. The coolness, the quality, no comparison...

• Like 2