Jump to content

WTB single K401 for single Belle project


Tony T
 Share

Recommended Posts

Awhile ago I was intrigued by "Garyrc"s suggestion in introducing the K401 into my single Belle. I posted the single K 401 request sometime ago and of course, no one had a single to spare. I thought I'd try my luck once again. Hopefully there's one out there?

On the other hand, does anyone know where I might obtain a decent after market? I'd prefer to keep it Klipsch but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tony T said:

Awhile ago I was intrigued by "Garyrc"s suggestion in introducing the K401 into my single Belle. I posted the single K 401 request sometime ago and of course, no one had a single to spare. I thought I'd try my luck once again. Hopefully there's one out there?

On the other hand, does anyone know where I might obtain a decent after market? I'd prefer to keep it Klipsch but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Thanks

I have a 501 from a Belle if you're interested.

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Why in the world would you do that?  The horn will stick way out the back and you will need to modify the crossover to account for the different frequency cutoff.  Don't you think PWK knew what he was doing?

 

I'm doing an identical approach pursuant to a conversation between Garyrc & myself. Gary successfully completed an intriguing approach which he illustrate's in the following paragraph. Please read forward  ...

My high frequency hearing is still more or less O.K., but I sometimes have trouble with dialogue, especially rapidly delivered dialogue in a Cockney, Scots, Irish or other difficult British Isle accents.  In our HT, we have a modified Belle Klipsch center speaker (with an enlarged top hat to accommodate a K401 horn -- the one in the La Scala II).  Although the Belle speaks through an "acoustically transparent" [sic] projection screen, it was EQd by Audyssey, with the screen down and in the way, therefore gets some help in the high frequencies.  Also we have it high so the tweeter and midrange are the same height as the right and left channel tweets/mids, and the top hat is pointed down so the tweeter points right at the height of the average ear of someone sitting on the couch.  Even so, we have the trim turned up 2 dB on the center.    Anyway, with all of these efforts, the dialog is now clear with almost any film except Trainspotting.

 

Mr. Frzninvt,

Regarding your question surrounding PWK's ability are you kidding, he was a genius! After all, he is the reason we've come together, and remain together. I would never question the ability of a master engineer especially PWK! As Garyrc made clear in his  (what I consider to be) very cool Belle remodeling project, altering and playing with this particular Belle re-configuration will be fun. The hat needs to be 2" taller and since I know my way around a professional cabinet shop, it'll be a breeze for me to make a new hat to go atop the old bass bin. Furthermore, the idea of "horns sticking out of the back & crossover modifications" mean nothing to me. Heck, modifying a crossover is part of the fun ... right? As one of my retirement hobby's, this stuff is right up my alley! Never had so much fun than spending large amounts of money on my love for MUSIC and THEATERS.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, avguytx said:

Although the Type AA crossover was/is used in the Belle, La Scala and Klipschorn without any changes of parts. 

And yes avguytx, your are so correct. A standard AA xover will suffice although, I will be installing a better approach.

Thank you for your kind entry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

 

I'm doing an identical approach pursuant to a conversation between Garyrc & myself. Gary successfully completed an intriguing approach which he illustrate's in the following paragraph. Please read forward  ...

My high frequency hearing is still more or less O.K., but I sometimes have trouble with dialogue, especially rapidly delivered dialogue in a Cockney, Scots, Irish or other difficult British Isle accents.  In our HT, we have a modified Belle Klipsch center speaker (with an enlarged top hat to accommodate a K401 horn -- the one in the La Scala II).  Although the Belle speaks through an "acoustically transparent" [sic] projection screen, it was EQd by Audyssey, with the screen down and in the way, therefore gets some help in the high frequencies.  Also we have it high so the tweeter and midrange are the same height as the right and left channel tweets/mids, and the top hat is pointed down so the tweeter points right at the height of the average ear of someone sitting on the couch.  Even so, we have the trim turned up 2 dB on the center.    Anyway, with all of these efforts, the dialog is now clear with almost any film except Trainspotting.

 

Mr. Frzninvt,

Regarding your question surrounding PWK's ability are you kidding, he was a genius! After all, he is the reason we've come together, and remain together. I would never question the ability of a master engineer especially PWK! As Garyrc made clear in his  (what I consider to be) very cool Belle remodeling project, altering and playing with this particular Belle re-configuration will be fun. The hat needs to be 2" taller and since I know my way around a professional cabinet shop, it'll be a breeze for me to make a new hat to go atop the old bass bin. Furthermore, the idea of "horns sticking out of the back & crossover modifications" mean nothing to me. Heck, modifying a crossover is part of the fun ... right? As one of my retirement hobby's, this stuff is right up my alley! Never had so much fun than spending large amounts of money on my love for MUSIC and THEATERS.

 

Why butcher a Belle why not trade it for a La Scala and be done with it.  If you are going to use a different horn there are FAR better choices than the K-401 out there.  Happy hacking!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, my response would be, because I already own Lascala's I'm looking for something different and something more of an experiment for my theater. Since I own 2 homes I've spread different ideas between theaters and music rooms between the two homes. No different than garyrc, I'm going to enjoy a similar frequency in between 2 Khorns.

 

My collection of Klipsch speakers range from (already owned) Lascala's, Khorns, different KPT speakers & theater/auditorium subwoofers. Trying a new and already proven project will be fun.

 

Heck Mr. Frzninvt, let's enjoy and respect one another's different views. No need to take matters to such an objective point of view.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

 

Why butcher a Belle why not trade it for a La Scala and be done with it.  If you are going to use a different horn there are FAR better choices than the K-401 out there.  Happy hacking!

Because he already owns it and it's prettier. Butcher is not a good word.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...