Cornwall IV compared to Chorus II?

JDJohnson

Not enough interest for comments? It seems to me though they are different speakers, they have a lot in common. Their tweeters are alike, their mid horns seem to be approximately the same size, except the Cornwall IV’s is a more modern design, they both use professional 15” woofers though the Chorus II utilizes a rear 15” passive  radiator and the Cornwall IV uses a front  port which effects their woofers sound outputs differently, and I’m guessing their cabinets volume to be somewhat close. I think even with their differences they kind of look alike somewhat.

3 minutes ago, soundbound said:

Not enough interest for comments? It seems to me though they are different speakers, they have a lot in common. Their tweeters are alike, their mid horns seem to be approximately the same size, except the Cornwall IV’s is a more modern design, they both use professional 15” woofers though the Chorus II utilizes a rear 15” passive  radiator and the Cornwall IV uses a front  port which effects their woofers sound outputs differently, and I’m guessing their cabinets volume to be somewhat close. I think even with their differences they kind of look alike somewhat.

Kind of hard to get comments on a speaker that is not even being shipped, yet, as far as I know...know what I mean?  "Comparisons" tend to have a speaker to compare with...give it a little time...you'll get comments!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Kind of hard to get comments on a speaker that is not even being shipped, yet, as far as I know...know what I mean?  "Comparisons" tend to have a speaker to compare with...give it a little time...you'll get comments!

Thank you for your reply. You’re correct. I should have used the word opinions instead of comments, but as you stated, there’s no way to know or speculate without an actual comparison. When I saw the Cornwall IV, it reminded me of my Chorus II, so I was wondering if anyone else thought the same about how they compare. I’d really enjoy hearing them compared! I’ve not heard my Chorus II compared to Cornwalls and the IV’s would be a good comparison.

• Like 1

My assumption is as the Chorus I moved to the Chorus II, the better midrange horn opened up the mids compared to the smaller horn.  I would assume three things - Ti tweeter is sweeter, midrange horn based on size should provide a more life like midrange, (I've always though size no matter what the cut off had a lot to do with the perception), and the ported bass will be more punchy (as long as the cabinet is tightened up and new port design).  The rear passives are good for extension but there is still something to say about front ported bass though of course depends on proximity to wall.

Assumptions... would be nice to see if I am correct and if so, the CWIV should be a very nice speaker, checking a lot of boxes for a lot of folks.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
12 minutes ago, HotGlass said:

I would love to know if anyone has done this experiment in the 3 years since the original post.  Chorus I or II vs. Cornwall IV!?!?!?!

the Chorus and Chorus II dont sound like Cornwall IV ,  the CW IV is  the most balanced speaker out of the 3 pairs 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:16 PM, soundbound said:

Thank you for your reply. You’re correct. I should have used the word opinions instead of comments, but as you stated, there’s no way to know or speculate without an actual comparison. When I saw the Cornwall IV, it reminded me of my Chorus II, so I was wondering if anyone else thought the same about how they compare. I’d really enjoy hearing them compared! I’ve not heard my Chorus II compared to Cornwalls and the IV’s would be a good comparison.

Why not bring your Chorus II to the nearest Heritage dealer and compare for yourself?  Everyone hears things differently. 

Have you ever moved a chorus II? I have by myself and wouldn’t want to do it again for a simple test. Having said that my local dealer has CV4, so heard both but not a/b and I’d say if I could afford it and have room, I’d prefer CW4 over chorus2. But then again, price factors into that situation and room size etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sam S. said:

Have you ever moved a chorus II? I have by myself and wouldn’t want to do it again for a simple test. Having said that my local dealer has CV4, so heard both but not a/b and I’d say if I could afford it and have room, I’d prefer CW4 over chorus2. But then again, price factors into that situation and room size etc. 

Um. If I were seriously considering, yes, I would.  If needed I would bribe a friend with a free lunch.  If it were simply a taste test or fishing expedition, then no I would not waste my time.

14 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I am not a big Cornwall fan. I’m a huge Chorus fan, both versions. I listened to the new Cornwalls at a dealer a few months ago and thought they sounded excellent. Even though they were powered by a 7-channel AVR. 

I've never heard the Chorus.  what about it do you prefer over the Cornwall IV?

I am in the DFW area.  I am sure there is a dealer somewhere around there with Cornwall IV's but I don't know about it.  I found a dealer with Heresy's but I haven't heard any of the newer larger heritage speakers.  No Forte IV or Cornwall IV.  

The two Chorus offerings really intrigue me.  I would love a Chorus I with the midrange horn of the Chorus II.  

I'm not a thumping bass guy nor do I need a sparkling top end.  I love a GIANT open midrange and enough on top and bottom to make it believable.  

Wondering if a Chorus might do enough of what the Cornwall IV does but on more of a blue collar budget.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HotGlass said:

I've never heard the Chorus.  what about it do you prefer over the Cornwall IV?

I am in the DFW area.  I am sure there is a dealer somewhere around there with Cornwall IV's but I don't know about it.  I found a dealer with Heresy's but I haven't heard any of the newer larger heritage speakers.  No Forte IV or Cornwall IV.  

The two Chorus offerings really intrigue me.  I would love a Chorus I with the midrange horn of the Chorus II.  

I'm not a thumping bass guy nor do I need a sparkling top end.  I love a GIANT open midrange and enough on top and bottom to make it believable.  

Wondering if a Chorus might do enough of what the Cornwall IV does but on more of a blue collar budget.  

I’m not a Cornwall expert, but I’ve never really liked the bass section in the older versions. It always seemed thick and flabby. This is just my opinion. The new Cornwall sounds much better in the bass section. I can’t really compare the new Cornwall to the Chorus because I’ve only heard the Cornwall in a showroom for around 15-20 minutes. I owned Chorus II for a long time and really liked them. Bass is very nice. I always thought they sounded best with higher wattage amps and heavy on the volume.