Tariffs to affect Klipsch pricing

Zim.

On 9/30/2019 at 3:24 PM, IB Slammin said:

Can someone please explain this to me? 

The USA is oil independent.  ??  The largest producer in the world. 

So why do fuel prices go up when a Saudi well gets attacked?  Or if a US refinery burns, prices go up the next day when there is no shortage ???

Because Canadian produced oil is land-locked to 99% North America and because of this you can.

Wb

8 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

really?  ..Do you feel this way about cars too?? 

As for MDF, that's actually a step forward from PLY.  Ply has voids, warps, etc..  MDF is more consistent from sheet to sheet in terms of weight, thickness and dampening qualities.  And MDF is far easier to CNC/ route recesses, corners, etc..   This is why 99% of the best wood speakers in the world are made from MDF.    Ply is still a good choice for speakers made for commercial applications where sound Q may matter a bit less than durability.

Experienced cabinet builders use void free panels & any warping will straighten with the construction of the cabinet, MDF & HDF are cheaper subpar alternatives.

Just recently they tore down the little brick ranch next door and put up this monstrosity of newly built house, all MDF and OSB construction and asked the guys building the place why they used those materials and the answer was dimensional lumber is never exactly straight. My thoughts afterwards was this place will fall apart before the old one would have.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jason str said:

Experienced cabinet builders use void free panels & any warping will straighten with the construction of the cabinet, MDF & HDF are cheaper subpar alternatives.

Just recently they tore down the little brick ranch next door and put up this monstrosity of newly built house, all MDF and OSB construction and asked the guys building the place why they used those materials and the answer was dimensional lumber is never exactly straight. My thoughts afterwards was this place will fall apart before the old one would have.

Dimensional lumber can be straight. All you need to do is find a good supplier that hand selects properly produced product from the tree to the kiln and then the lumber yard. Then hand select what you want from that supplier.

No OSB, or MDF for me. 🔨

Wb

44 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

As for MDF, that's actually a step forward from PLY.  Ply has voids, warps, etc..  MDF is more consistent from sheet to sheet in terms of weight, thickness and dampening qualities.  And MDF is far easier to CNC/ route recesses, corners, etc..   This is why 99% of the best wood speakers in the world are made from MDF.    Ply is still a good choice for speakers made for commercial applications where sound Q may matter a bit less than durability.

Hi OD I see you heh-heh-heh. I never expected this kind of great mileage out of MDF but there you are once again. 🤣

21 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Dimensional lumber can be straight. All you need to do is find a good supplier that hand selects properly produced product from the tree to the kiln and then the lumber yard. Then hand select what you want from that supplier.

No OSB, or MDF for me. 🔨

Wb

Just look down the end of the lumber, any crown goes up.

Never had an issue either, any warped lumber was used up building headers or ripped down for other uses.

Proud member of the 1%er's and

7 hours ago, Dave A said:

This is why 99% of the best wood speakers in the world are made from MDF

Proud member of the 1%ers and certified MDF Free. Also a proud member of the expensive speaker wiring society.

DSC_0044.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I saw the prices of can lights go up by 33% when the first tariffs were imposed. 

There is a trade war going on. Not just between the USA and the PRC (i.e. Red China). Ask any Canadian.

Historically, there are no winners in trade wars. This one is important to the Western World's future generations though and as such must be fought.

Wb

On 10/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, jason str said:

For speakers, it is really design and frequency dependent.  If you are using them in a wet area, :-)  then definitely stay away from MDF/HDF.

* I read a FB post last night from our our resident Klipsch dealer that Only product from China will see a 15% + - tariff induced price increase. He stated No products manufactured in Hope are affected from a tariff increase. And dealers that are increasing prices on Hope products are using the tariff as an excuse for increasing profits. ( I hope I quoted this correctly as I cannot find the post as I get the feed from the wife’s FB account. I have no account with the Devil - )

On 9/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, jimjimbo said:

I have no idea how Klipsch calculates their pricing for any product, but I do understand that if parts prices are raised by XX% due to tariffs or whatever, then the cost to the consumer is going to increase.   The current tariff is 25% on Chinese goods, which is over and above what it was last year at this time.  US labor costs are increasing as employers are under pressure to provide higher wages and better benefits to retain employees, so I am not surprised that the cost of Klipsch products has necessarily been bumped higher.  Putting the blame on executives and "MBA types" is IMHO looking in the wrong direction.  Let's put the blame where the blame is due, on the politicians that have created this mess.

China has been STEALING our software and other intellectual property for years. I get PDF's in my Email, periodically, that feature products that are cosmetically disguised as not being Crown, QSC, Shure, etc. when a person can tell right away they they are the exact same chassis and connector locations. Of course they offer these products without warranty at 1/3 the price of those with the correct Brand tags on them. Their manufacturers have been doing this for years to US companies. I have first hand experience in discovering counterfeit Integrated Circuit Chips in my last job in Electronics. Let's not even discuss currency manipulation.

The most outrageous story is about an Apple Manager that took a trip to China. When visiting a more obscure city than "the big ones" like Beijing, etc. into an Apple store. He called Apple HQ and found out they never built an Apple store in that particular city. The ENTIRE STORE was counterfeit, a complete CLONE, with Employees that thought they worked for Apple, wearing Apple T-shirts, selling Apple Branded products to unaware customers. Talk about a total ripoff. I don't know if Apple was able to find more of those stores or if they were able to shut them down via legal means, but it's a long boat ride for the lawyers either way, if there is even a legal mechanism in place to combat this sort of thing. 

I wonder how many counterfeit Klipsch speakers are being sold to millions of Chinese that Klipsch is unaware of??

This is very real and I'm glad to see the US having a fighting chance against this kind of thing rather than ignoring popular ignorance about this.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:47 PM, ODS123 said:

really?  ..Do you feel this way about cars too?? 

There's good BS and bad BS. Guess which kind of Bovine Sediment we have here! As long as box resonances have been dealt with, especially using advanced, and scientifically multi layer laminate materials with Baltic Birch core, etc. your comment is incomplete and false.

6 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

China has been STEALING our software and other intellectual property for years. I get PDF's in my Email, periodically, that feature products that are cosmetically disguised as not being Crown, QSC, Shure, etc. when a person can tell right away they they are the exact same chassis and connector locations. Of course they offer these products without warranty at 1/3 the price of those with the correct Brand tags on them. Their manufacturers have been doing this for years to US companies. I have first hand experience in discovering counterfeit Integrated Circuit Chips in my last job in Electronics. Let's not even discuss currency manipulation.

The most outrageous story is about an Apple Manager that took a trip to China. When visiting a more obscure city than "the big ones" like Beijing, etc. into an Apple store. He called Apple HQ and found out they never built an Apple store in that particular city. The ENTIRE STORE was counterfeit, a complete CLONE, with Employees that thought they worked for Apple, wearing Apple T-shirts, selling Apple Branded products to unaware customers. Talk about a total ripoff. I don't know if Apple was able to find more of those stores or if they were able to shut them down via legal means, but it's a long boat ride for the lawyers either way, if there is even a legal mechanism in place to combat this sort of thing. 

I wonder how many counterfeit Klipsch speakers are being sold to millions of Chinese that Klipsch is unaware of??

This is very real and I'm glad to see the US having a fighting chance against this kind of thing rather than ignoring popular ignorance about this.

And yet, having said all of that, the White House wants to enlist China and other countries to investigate and dig up dirt on political rivals.  Go figure.

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

And yet, having said all of that, the White House wants to enlist China and other countries to investigate and dig up dirt on political rivals.  Go figure.

Yes indeed. Too different and complicated worlds that are currently intertwined.