Heresy I advice needed

MeloManiac

@Emile, I agree ... Watco or Howard's to help restore the veneer would be a good idea.  Once @ILI has the finish to the colour he likes, then I'd use some light beeswax to protect it.  Thinking of which, it's nearly winter here so time for the annual touch up on my speakers.  Calgary is very dry in the winter (I've had laminated boards split at the seams due to dryness), so have to do some work to keep them from having problems.  My Heresy sets (2) are out on Vancouver Island where there's a lot more humidity, but they'll get their annual grooming in Dec.

• Like 2

Update:

The treatment I gave the Heresys with oxalic acid seems to have bleached the dark rings even more as the days have passed. They are still slightly visible, but no longer look horrifying, but more like a well healed scar. I like that.

My new friends, the Heresys, sound better and better too. Not sure if it is my brain adapting to them or if the speakers, aged 47, are burnt in after unkown years of non-use. Does that make sense? Edit: They sound good with good recordings. Bad recordings sound... bad.

I was planning a 'definitive' comparison of my rp160m and the Heresys. But that now seems unfair for both, for so many reasons... Besides that, it hurts my ears and brain when switching between them.

DSCF6483.jpg

DSCF6487.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Final 1178766846_jantzencapsCrossovertypeC.thumb.PNG.d88f82180075e0717e54e5955e34c703.PNGUpdate:

Today I finished this little restoration project by installing these Jantzen Cross caps.  One of the old caps was indeed slightly leaking, so that was the main reason for replacing them. Never having soldered before, I found it a little daunting, but all is fine. Probably not the cleanest soldering, but I double checked all connections and was very happy the speakers produced sound when reconnected!  It took me about two hours to do it and the total cost (caps and soldering gear) was about €40.

The sound now is ok, first I thought that perhaps there was little less bass, but the sound is a bit more ballanced between the highs and the lows, sounds less mellow.

I would like to thank you all, who helped me and encouraged me to do this. Buying these Heresy I speakers was a wise decision. From the beginning, I wanted to do a minimal restoration, but these old caps needed replacement for safety reasons. So now they are good for another 50 years...

😀

On 10/2/2019 at 6:36 PM, ILI said:

The label says Heresy.

115 km is half way through Belgium. Trafic and slowdowns... Took me almost 2hours to reach my destination.

Wow!  That's some bad traffic. 

I am headed from my home near Chattanooga to the Klipsch factory in Hope, Arkansas tomorrow.  975 km and 3 large cities.  Should take about 10 hours.  😐  I wish I was still actively flying! 

16 hours ago, ILI said:

Never having soldered before, I found it a little daunting, but all is fine. Probably not the cleanest soldering, but I double checked all connections and was very happy the speakers produced sound when reconnected! 

You probably did just fine.  

Did you watch some of the many soldering YouTube videos?  In my experience, keeping the soldering tip clean with a damp sponge and avoiding “cold” joints are the keys.  If the solder doesn’t heat and flow to the connection, or if the connection moves in the instant before the solder sets, the connection looks dull, rather than shiny.  A cold joint will still show as a connection, but it will cause problems in the future.  Shiny is good, dull not so good.

One of the biggest mistakes in TIG welding and soldering, which are very similar in how the metal flows, is insufficient heat input. You get things hot enough quickly and you get good welds and joints. You use too little heat and you end up putting more overall heat into your work piece or wire by having to fiddle with it for so long and don't end up with the same quality to boot.