Speaker selector switch vs matrix system

The Dude

This may have been covered before, but i tried to search the forums and came up empty handed.  Question in regards to speaker selector switches.  I have a zone 2 output on my avr that allows me to have a powered second zone.  Now, I assume I could use this and run it to basic speaker selector switch if by chance I actually had 3 zones.  However,  if i was to have all inputs running at the same time, I would think that depending on the speakers load, this could alter the power output of the zone 2 out put.  One option would be to use the line out of the second zone to a multi-zone amplifier, however I would lose control-ability with the avr app. as the 2nd zone line out is a fixed signal.   Therefore needing to control volume at the amplifier rack or use a fancy multi-zone amplifier.  Has anyone came across this issue and what did you find that worked?

9 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Perhaps I'm missing it, but what are you actually trying to accomplish? Please keep it brief and simple, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zone 2 to 3 different locations, but being able to have one or all three running at the same time.

Now that I think about it, using the avr app to control the volume, would control the volume on all 3 zones at the same time.  But there could be other ways around this with a volume control at the location.

This is a pricey option,

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10761

Maybe a 3 channel amp and one of these at each location

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8243

I think I know the route I am going to take, I just had to post it out loud so that I understand what I am doing.    Since I am already running Parasound amps, I am going to start with one of these (with Christmas around the corner, it may take a bit to save for).

https://www.parasound.com/250.php 

along with 2 of these,

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8243

This won't cover all 3 zones, but for now, it will cover the garage and upper deck.  This isn't about huge savings, but more for what works for my setup and the quality of sound.  Since the zone amp has a loop out, I can add a second zamp down the road.  

I will have to use the line out which is fixed volume, but with the speaker volume controls I can control at that location. 

So going down this rabbit hole of whole house audio/video.  I have stumbled upon what is considered a audio matrix system.  Does anyone have any info on how these are structured?  From what little I have gathered, these can be tied to a whole house security, smart home, audio and video system, or maybe it ties these systems together.  If anyone has more detail or a forum more suited,  please let me know.

Again I made more out of something than I needed to. Here is the current situation, recently I was using the front height outputs on my integra for the powered 2nd zone(this is an option with volume control). There is also an option to run a second zone power amp off of the 2nd zone pre out. I was under the impression that if I used these pre outs, the volume was fixed and I would have to turn the volume all the way up on the amp and install a volume control at the remote location. So I ordered a Parasound Zamp v.3 and a ln OSD volume control. I am do to receive the volume control tomorrow, but have and installed the Parasound Zamp. There are a few settings, but for now I have it to power on via audio signal. The gain controls are up all the way and little behold, I can still control the volume via the Integra app. I have a second amp that powers the garage speakers and the Parasound has a loop out. If I understand this correctly, i should be able to connect the loop out to the input of the garage speakers amp and have the same signal. Now since it appears that controlling the 2nd zone via my phone controls the volume of both zones, I have but 2 options. Change the settings of the zamp to power on/off via the front switch, which I will do with the garage system as well or install volume control knobs to individually control the zones. But since the volume controls degrade the sound, I more than likely will just manually power down the amp I dont need audio playing from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

The Marantz ZS5300 has 3 60 watt amps in 3 zones. I have 2 of them and they do a nice job. That said, I'm planning on selling both of them as I have picked up 4 Yamaha M series amps. They put out 130 watts if I remember correctly.

Mark

Can you run one input to all three zones simultaneously?  I might have to look into that one.  Looking on ebay, that's not a bad option for the price.  Only thing that could be better is being able to control each zone independently via phone app.  

One thing I am learning and this pertains to either zone amps or matrix amps, and it has to do with splitting the signal prior to the AVR.  Which I can see why you would want to go one way or the other. 

As far a matrix goes, I love the idea have having audio and video in every room from one source.  I just feel like the control functionality isn't all there.  For instance, I would want to have all of my sources in one area and be able to run 5.1 audio and video or even just 2 channel to any room. Maybe that is how some of these system are connected and I am just not understanding it. 

15 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

The Marantz ZS5300 has 3 60 watt amps in 3 zones

It appears it does have the ability to run simultaneously to all three zones from one source.  From the manual, it looks like there is some partnering with Niles as well.  This is a great solution, now wishing I knew of it sooner. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

It appears it does have the ability to run simultaneously to all three zones from one source.  From the manual, it looks like there is some partnering with Niles as well.  This is a great solution, now wishing I knew of it sooner. 

It can run all 3 zones at once. They are like the M-500 and 700 except these have  3 amps in one, and are 60 per channel. 

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

You could return the gear you ordered and buy both of mine 😀😀😀

Mark