Pops and Tics

Tarheel

I have bought dozens of records from Amazon, and also have returned a few. It's pretty much a no hassle event to return them. One thing to watch out for though, Amazon likes to "repackage" returned items. I have received a coupe lp's that had a different plastic wrap on them. Luckily they played fine.

I use an ultrasound cleaner on all my lp's before I play them, and hardly have a noise issue. And yes, my vinyl sounds way better than my cd collection!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mr clean said:

Last one.

Mr. Clean you piqued my interest.  I looked at  Music Direct and their page says "no longer available".  I then called and spoke with John at MD and asked him about the SC-1.  The manufacturer has run out of chassis for the SC-1 and is coming out with a even better product ranging from $1500-$2800.  I asked him if he has heard the SC-1 and what he though of it.  He said it is utterly amazing!  I will be buying one when they come back on market.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Mr. Clean you piqued my interest.  I looked at  Music Direct and their page says "no longer available".  I then called and spoke with John at MD and asked him about the SC-1.  The manufacturer has run out of chassis for the SC-1 and is coming out with a even better product ranging from $1500-$2800.  I asked him if he has heard the SC-1 and what he though of it.  He said it is utterly amazing!  I will be buying one when they come back on market.

I love spending other peoples money lol!

• Haha 2

Called the place in Cincy and they just got back to me.  Guy said they worked great but they don't have them anymore.  The one w/the phono stage in it is like $1500 and here I sit with my  40-year-old SAE noise reduction unit   Mmmhmmm leaps and bounds to the present day gear.  @Tarheel I'll make ya a deal and you can save some money!  lol  @mr clean you are truly an evil man!  Inciting riots over gear like that.  You had this allllll planned!  Start the thread then trip their triggers. I see you werkin!  Now get back to that radio station you listen too, which isn't too bad btw...   😂

• Like 1

Gen 2 soon to be released (late Oct.).  SC-1 Mini can be preordered for less than $1400.  Now if I just had a phone to use as a remote.  Both stores said they are the bomb.  Buy 50 cent records at yard sale or thrift store, clean them up and go.  All those album collections I have been given may start a new life.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Called the place in Cincy and they just got back to me.  Guy said they worked great but they don't have them anymore.  The one w/the phono stage in it is like $1500 and here I sit with my  40-year-old SAE noise reduction unit   Mmmhmmm leaps and bounds to the present day gear.  @Tarheel I'll make ya a deal and you can save some money!  lol  @mr clean you are truly an evil man!  Inciting riots over gear like that.  You had this allllll planned!  Start the thread then trip their triggers. I see you werkin!  Now get back to that radio station you listen too, which isn't too bad btw...   😂

I just happen to have 10 of these units! They will be sold at a 500 dollar markup. First come first served. I wish! 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Gen 2 soon to be released (late Oct.).  SC-1 Mini can be preordered for less than $1400.  Now if I just had a phone to use as a remote.  Both stores said they are the bomb.  Buy 50 cent records at yard sale or thrift store, clean them up and go.  All those album collections I have been given may start a new life.

Trick or Treat smell my feet!  Sounds like they work great. MC/MM phono stage built in is nice.  :)

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, mr clean said:

If you were wanting your albums to sound perfect who better to listen to than mr clean. Its like a magic eraser! Really I was reading about this on another forum. Heres a vid I found.

Im listening to that album, by Cab Calloway ,that he plays on the second vid on spotify. Was reading the lyrics, and parts of the lyrics I didn't understand what they meant. I dug little deeper, and found that minnie was a woman who lived in Indy, here in In Indiana, and she was homeless.The part about Smokey who was  Kokey was a friend who did cocaine, and kicking the gong around was smoking opium. I guess they were kicking it up pretty good back in 1931 lol. Worth listening to. Can you tell im bored lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnie_the_Moocher

Dudes!

All mediums have major drawbacks.  And that's just the start. Then there is the whole recording process, or lack thereof. And that's just one aspect of this hobby. The real problem is that this hobby has too many fussbudgets involved in it.  Music, at the end of the day, attracts us because of what it imparts...

...feeling.

So let the feeling flow, put aside the fiddly bits for awhile , drop the needle, cue up the tape, click on the zeros and ones, or grab the nearest instrument, and when your eyes close focus on the feelings.

Hell, I've never felt happier than when I'm badly and unconsciously  whistling to myself a tune or even just some odd notes.

It's all good brothers and sisters!

Yup. That's right. Follow the Thebes philosophy and we may never need argue over audio again.

But then again...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

I feel the same way as PWK. A record is a caricature of the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of them are, to some extent. Just depends on what you are willing to put up with.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 11:06 AM, Tarheel said:

I know that goes along with vinyl and that some noise is inevitable but what do you do with new vinyl that has noisy tics and pops and really distracts from the album?  Ignore it?  Take the loss?  Return it to seller?  Play other records?

I buy from Amazon a lot and they are good about refunds for other items but I have not sent any vinyl back to them.  Your thoughts?

Yell 'Pull' and let it have it with both barrels of the shotgun of your choice. Then go out and find a good RTR Player. Much more expensive then getting that credit from Amazon but also much more satisfying. Pops and clicks could fly!🎼

Wb

• 2 weeks later...
I know that goes along with vinyl and that some noise is inevitable but what do you do with new vinyl that has noisy tics and pops and really distracts from the album?  Ignore it?  Take the loss?  Return it to seller?  Play other records?

I buy from Amazon a lot and they are good about refunds for other items but I have not sent any vinyl back to them.  Your thoughts?

Back in the 70s record companies were using recycled vinyl. I bought some records that had pieces of paper embedded in the grooves that were from the label of the recycled record. The RCA records were the worst. Thank heavens for CDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...