Pops and Tics

Tarheel

29 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

The "Click and Pop Assassin" !!

Would you believe they're still around?!

Nowadays I plan to digitize my vinyl as I play it, and edit the file in the computer to remove clicks and pops. Then never play the vinyl again.

At least, that's the plan. Haven't got around to actually doing it, yet, though everything I need is in place.

Looked at some newer models that are getting some attention.

Those older units do a decent job per reviews seen on forums,etc.

Know that the SAE equipment had, were all well built. Suppose not too surprised they made unit (s) for pop and clicks...DBX also, thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Nowadays I plan to digitize my vinyl as I play it, and edit the file in the computer to remove clicks and pops. Then never play the vinyl again.

At least, that's the plan. Haven't got around to actually doing it, yet, though everything I need is in place.

I'd think about that plan. Vinyl albums are compressed from the start, maybe 60-70db S/N ratio at best. Then to convert to digital and edit out pops and clicks will remove actual music content too. Better to purchase HQ digital files from the start for one's library. Right now I can purchase a music cd off ebay way less than the flac file from supply vendors, then rip cd on my desktop pc to flac or wav file. Users are abandoning cds and cd players like mad. Least a music cd has a s/n ratio of 90+ and zero audible noise.

HQ digital music file playback is light years better than any vinyl album. Maybe keep the album collection when u r feeling really nostalgic. Not to mention many of the old recordings to vinyl just plain suck. 60 year old recording technology and mixing ability. Even best quality (320 kbs) mp3 files sound way better than vinyl. Its just the reality of recording and mix improvements.

I just picked up a Natalie Cole cd, then ripped to flac. No album ever created sounded this good.........not even close.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Better to purchase HQ digital files from the start for one's library.

I already have the albums. Many of them are not available in digital form. It's a side-effect of being as old as the Gramophone.

• Haha 2

That SAE noise reduction unit used to work fairly well for me in my first life.  Still screwed in the stack rack sitting here w/all the rest of my SAE gear.  Thought about it but then saw the "Sugarcube" unit that's out now, which supposedly works very well with minimal loss.  Then I did some nosin and found out they were about $1500 or more.  My albums are in pretty nice shape since they had minimal play.  Kept those and always played the 45's instead.  The new re-mastered stuff for the most part sounds fantastic so guess Imma just gonna deal.  Ugh...  

• Like 1

There's a reason vinyl sales are on the rise.People who think vinyl sounds like what they remember from their youth playing records on portable record players have never experienced what a high end vinyl playback system is capable of. Everyone who has ever heard my system will say the vinyl sounds better than digital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

I already have the albums. Many of them are not available in digital form.

And were they even to become available digitized they would no doubt have the "mastering" mucked-with.  I can't think of one release I've doubled-up on "for the increased content" where the original (also digital) doesn't have much higher sound quality / tonal balance.

• Like 1