Pops and Tics

Tarheel

I know that goes along with vinyl and that some noise is inevitable but what do you do with new vinyl that has noisy tics and pops and really distracts from the album?  Ignore it?  Take the loss?  Return it to seller?  Play other records?

I buy from Amazon a lot and they are good about refunds for other items but I have not sent any vinyl back to them.  Your thoughts?

I know that goes along with vinyl and that some noise is inevitable but what do you do with new vinyl that has noisy tics and pops and really distracts from the album?  Ignore it?  Take the loss?  Return it to seller?  Play other records?

I buy from Amazon a lot and they are good about refunds for other items but I have not sent any vinyl back to them.  Your thoughts?

Gave up LPs in ‘83 and switched to CDs for this and other hassles associated with analog (noise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I recently had problems with two brand new LPs from Acoustic Sounds. Other than the "return guy" being on vacation and needing to wait a week to actually talk/type to someone it was painless. The took my return once I had an RMA form them and I got two new LPs without issue.

I have probably bought 50+ new LPs in the last year no real issues beyond those two. I tend to buy for the pressing like QRP (hands down the best), MFLS, Music Matters, Analog Productions, or listings that explicitly say mastered from original tapes. I'm happy to pay 35-100 bucks for an LP I am going to sit and actually listen to. Many I already have on CD or another format. I'm looking for quality recordings, so if they are not up to snuff they go back.

I think most of us know the difference between a Delta faucet form Home Depot and the "same thing" from an actual plumbing supply store. I often wonder if there is a difference between Amazon and a "real" record seller that has been around for a while like Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds. I wouldn't think so but you never know.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tarheel said:

I've returned two LP's to Amazon because they were junk and now my new Division Bell has developed problems.  I'm going to return it too.  No visible marks at all yet 3 LOUD pops going into the 1st song?  Then a couple other passages that actually skip.  My luck they won't have a replacement which happened one other time.  The downside for me it's  30 mile trek one-way to the UPS Store they require you to use.  Done w/Amazon unless they can step up their quality. Just my take though.

I've returned two LP's to Amazon because they were junk and now my new Division Bell has developed problems.  I'm going to return it too.  No visible marks at all yet 3 LOUD pops going into the 1st song?  Then a couple other passages that actually skip.  My luck they won't have a replacement which happened one other time.  The downside for me it's  30 mile trek one-way to the UPS Store they require you to use.  Done w/Amazon unless they can step up their quality. Just my take though.

When I purchased LPs I opened them in the store. I examined them visually for scratches, marrs, and dust. I did this in the presents of the salesman. If it didn’t suit me I opened another til I found a quality product. I was so thrilled with the introduction of CDs that I bought my last LP in 1983. Good luck with your nostalgic noisy medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Last week I was in a shop and wanted to by the Division Bell on CD. I took it to the counter. I first had to pay and then, normally, I 'd get a new copy from storage. The storekeeper was away for many long minutes and then returned empty handed and said this was the last item. I looked at it. It was a carbon sleeve, the corners shredded after many years of life on the shelves. Hundreds of hands must have touched it. I said I wanted a new one, of course. She said 'this is the last one' and called her chef. I explained there was no way I take this item home. She said, 'Why not? The cd is just fine?'. I said, well ok, give me a substantial reduction. She said she could give me a 10% reduction. I started laughing. I said I wouldn't take it if she gave me 50% reduction. Then she said, well in the next town, we still have a new one in storage. I said, ok send it to me for free. No she said, we can't do that. You'll have to come back here to pick it up. I laughed even harder. In the end, I got a full refund and walked away.

Small businesses like this shop are the victim of multinationals like Amazon, who offer cheap prices and free shipping because, at least in Europe, they don't pay taxes as they should: their seat is in Ireland, where they got a special deal (corruption?) with almost no taxes at all, and for them it is a gateway to the rest of Europe. The result is that they can sell 15% cheaper than the other shops, killing the competition. 

Some would call this 'smart'. I call this 'corrupt'.

• Like 2

have you tried cleaning the new vinyl? I usually spin clean all my new vinyl and then before playing give the lp a pass with a carbon fiber brush.

After cleaning i also place the vinyl in new sleeves from MOFI. I know all seems a bit extreme-but vinyl is and can be alot of work sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1