How loud will your system get!

mr clean

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Funny you say that. The bigger my speakers get the more I find my level at 80 to 85db since I want to hear all the detail I can. Poor recordings or lesser speakers and turn it up was the rule for a long time here. Now I do still turn some things up but rarely past 95db. With metal walls and large flat hard surfaces everywhere loud is the enemy of fidelity in my shop.

Im a sub 1 watt guy, but I do open the taps now and again when the house is cleared out.  Its very satisfying to hear new content in an old recording that you have been listening to for decades.  IMO,  When you turn the knob down and have a new discovery, that's the ticket and that's the best indicator for a "real world" improvement in my book.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Im a sub 1 watt guy, but I do open the taps now and again when the house is cleared out.  Its very satisfying to hear new content in an old recording that you have been listening to for decades.  IMO,  When you turn the knob down and have a new discovery, that's the ticket and that's the best indicator for a "real world" improvement in my book.

Same here, also part of why I like big speakers, they sound big even low, with the detail.  

But it is nice to let them breathe on occasion, for a whole different affect. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, babadono said:

What was it PWK said "too damn loud". After this past Sunday I think @Westcoastdrums knows Jubilees can get there:)

But I would have said the same thing to what he liked loud, marching bands :lol: That could be hard to listen to at volume

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Eh I don't know, they weren't "that" loud 😁.  We quickly learned between you and I that we are 75 dB and UP guys no? 

Yes Sir. But we had at least 20 dB left on the main fader when it was averaging 95.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

What is the SPL of your listening room with nothing on? i.e. - human/mechanical outside or inside such as a refrigerater/washer/dryer working.

I need to get a longer UMIK cable so I can get the whirring of the laptop hard drive out of the room:) Or perhaps a SSD in the laptop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Same here, also part of why I like big speakers, they sound big even low, with the detail.  

But it is nice to let them breathe on occasion, for a whole different affect. 

* so are speakers similar to cars in the 60’s and 70’s that run carburetors and we used the excuse to “blow it out” for doing the ton - and over - . Maybe; I did see a puff of dust coming from the bin when “ blowing them out” one day” — 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, babadono said:

I need to get a longer UMIK cable so I can get the whirring of the laptop hard drive out of the room:) Or perhaps a SSD in the laptop.

I had a surveillance system at my old house installed. I wanted  the harddrive recorder in my listening room hooked directly to my setup and TV. It was there for about 15 minutes due to its loud fan.  Thank goodness I had a closet right next to where the wad of Cat5 was coming in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

* so are speakers similar to cars in the 60’s and 70’s that run carburetors and we used the excuse to “blow it out” for doing the ton - and over - . Maybe; I did see a puff of dust coming from the bin when “ blowing them out” one day” — 

Got to "dust off the woofers" occasionally :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shiva said:

I have hit 115dB with just my mains,   my room with nothing going on, hovers around 32db. According to the Niosh SLM decibel app on my iPhone, that is.

Movie industry measurements indicate that an empty theater -- or one with a respectful audience -- hovers (as you say) around 30 dB.  Mike Todd banned popcorn in cardboard boxes and drinks with ice during his reserved seat showings of Around the World in 80 Days (1956), because, "They fu___ up the stereo."  The dynamic range of his 6 channel magnetic sound was probably the highest of the era.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, babadono said:

What was it PWK said "too damn loud". After this past Sunday I think @Westcoastdrums knows Jubilees can get there:)

A Dope from Hope said that 115 dB was "too damn loud" for an average level, in a chart by Keele, but that particular label is so PWK that it was probably contributed by him.

PWK, in another publication, said something like, "To get the blood-stirring levels of a full symphony orchestra, you need peaks of 115 dB at your ears."  He should know, he recorded them repeatedly, and probably measured them.  My own measurements, in row 10,  approximately confirm this.  It has been pointed out more recently that, with what we now know about small room acoustics, we probably don't need that much at home.  THX put out a chart that indicated that something like 107 dB in my approx. 4,300 cu ft treated room would "sound like" 115 dB in one of their large theaters.  Just in case, calculations indicate that a mere 88 watts into a single Klipschorn will produce 115 in my room, without really trying.  If someone wanted to rely (I wouldn't), on the instantaneous reserve power Keele believes a "good" amplifier will provide (very brief peaks "10 dB above average, without clipping") that figure would shrink to about 9 watts through a single Klipschorn.   Amazing, no?

• Like 3