How loud will your system get!

mr clean

Not sure how accurate these DB meters are either..

I have been trying out some DT BP7001 SC towers for a few weeks now and they are totally being underutilized. 

Below is a screen shot of the DB meter, watching Shazam. At 88 DB, I wanted to run out of the room and my remotes were vibrating on my glass coffee table. Hearing some of you folks hitting 100 + DB is nuts;)

8FB778AE-0953-40E8-8B0C-F792E39F0599.jpeg

• Like 2

According to a calculator, peaks of about 120 dB.

As read on an SPL meter, the highest I dared go with my ears in the same room provided 110 dB peaks.   But, PWK said that, given the ballistics of a needle meter (like mine) unread peaks can be 13 dB higher.... so 123 dB brief peaks???

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, IB Slammin said:

Only horn loaded bass bins are effortless with low distortion???? 

Yes if your comparing a DR it to this

4 hours ago, seti said:

Horn loaded baby!!!

image.thumb.png.66f1fa94145ba4c844d581b76d3a95b3.png

• Like 2

image.png.d8323f51aef6be6522278d1aac5d029c.png 

Note that the SPL levels are in terms of dBA; music SPLs should probably be measured in dBC (or dBZ, if your meter offers that option)C weighting takes (nearly) full account of the bass in the program, whereas A weighting rolls it off and underestimates it ( Z weighting treats all frequencies equally).  If an orchestral climax is measured by two SPL meters, side by side, one set for A weighting and one set for C, the one set for C will read higher, because it is counting the bass, but the OSHA tables use A weighting....

image.png.f0277c09e87f2d0cb09ab3c54ef98702.png

cirrusresearch

A big bass drum, timpani, or kick drum beat may measured too low by as much as 20 dB/ 25 dB if using A weighting.

Kick drum beat characteristics:

image.png.21815c324a81dd8d1b5294998ccbd2ba.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:10 AM, dtel said:

Yes if your comparing a DR it to this

I have thought about pointing my S-MWM's out the rollup door later this year and letting them rip. Upper 90's has been sufficient for me although I have put on protection and turned the MCM 1900 stacks up as loud as my amp would go for some people who wanted to hear that. It was loud through the hearing protection and after a few minutes I turned it down as I figured they had no idea what that could be doing to their hearing. Yes you could watch things move on the tables in the shop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max2 said:

Ok, Ok, enough muscle flexing.   The real question is, how quiet is your listening room?     Who here is hearing ALL of their signal content?

Funny you say that. The bigger my speakers get the more I find my level at 80 to 85db since I want to hear all the detail I can. Poor recordings or lesser speakers and turn it up was the rule for a long time here. Now I do still turn some things up but rarely past 95db. With metal walls and large flat hard surfaces everywhere loud is the enemy of fidelity in my shop.

• Like 3