CornScala project

mopardave

5 hours ago, kevinmi said:

Dave, if you continue to have problems, and think the crossovers are to blame, I've got a pair of DeanG crossovers I won't be using for a couple months that you could borrow. They crossover at 400/6000, and the mids are adjustable.

Yep, you now need a crossover tweak for sure. Try it all!

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, MechEngVic said:

Waiting for the big reveal.

Well after being cooped up for 6 weeks because of covid gonna chance it and visit my father this next weekend who is 93 now. I know no one who has the illness.  Don't want to get him sick, but we have some of his business to take care of. While there I will spend some time with the Cornscala's again with the crossover tap settings as instructed. I will take my Thumper 25w/ch amp with JJ KT77's in it with me this time.  I want to get the crossovers as close as I can in the garage and then put some power to them.    Should be fun.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2020 at 11:40 AM, mustang_flht said:

Ok ! 👍

Back at my fathers today. I tried several attenuation settings. First I tried 9 on the black wire and red on 0 giving me 9db on the mid horn or the mid at 99db to the woofers 98 and setting the tweet at 4db.Way better than 6 on the mid, but still not quite right. Next I tried 12db which should give 96 on the mid horn to the 98 of the woofer. Thought it sounded pretty good but wasn’t sure as I need to get used to the huge mid horn so I tried 15 attenuation giving me 93db on the mid. For sure went too far. Last one was 10db giving 98 at the mid matching the woofers 98 with tweet still at mid setting of 4db.  I liked it but some songs sound a bit like too much mid horn. I then brought them into the house from the garage to listen and thought it sounded much better and very close.  So looks like 10, 11 or 12db will be the final setting.  Lots of listening left to do.

• Like 3

Hi,

Nothing for help, it's normal ;)

Apart from the settings: JJ KT77 are very good tubes the sound with your fantastic Cornscala must be very good  👍

Note: The Eminence 15" Woofer will relax in a few hours, between 50 and 100 hours hours of music, and there will be more bass: so be patient for the final adjustment of the midrange sqwaker

4 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi,

Nothing for help, it's normal ;)

Apart from the settings: JJ KT77 are very good tubes the sound with your fantastic Cornscala must be very good  👍

Note: The Eminence 15" Woofer will relax in a few hours, between 50 and 100 hours hours of music, and there will be more bass: so be patient for the final adjustment of the midrange sqwaker

I will be patient.  The setting right now is 10db attenuation to bring the mid inline with the 3015 woofer, both now at 98db and tweet at 4db.  They do sound very nice. They stay clean at 100db, but they do sometimes sound off a bit.  I notice male singing voices are low at woofer height and female up at mid height and sometimes it sounds as thou the mid plays low notes.     

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mopardave said:

One other thing I would like to mention is the right speaker plays louder than the left just as my other system with super Heresys.  Why is that?

Sounds like it could be an amp issue? Try swapping the speaker wires to see if the amp is playing louder in one channel. You can also swap the input cables from your source, such as a cd player, to see if that isn't playing louder in one channel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

This is a very important point to keep in mind.

I’ve read it here many times, but it did not sink in until I swapped out a pair of the exact same woofers in the exact same cabinets and wondered what I had done wrong.

There was nothing “wrong”, one pair was new and the other several years old.

It sounded like almost an octave was gone from the low end. 

• Like 1

One other thing I would like to mention is the right speaker plays louder than the left just as my other system with super Heresys.  Why is that?
Reflections off of one wall maybe? Does the loudness follow if you swap left and right speaker leads?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

no the loudness doesn't really follow from one side to the other.  My other system is the same way using all different components.  strange.   I tried switching cables on my Heresy system and made no difference.   Thought made this was normal, but wanted to post and see.  Only thing that's the same between the two systems is that both amps are Chinese. One is 12w and other is 25w, different brands thou.

no the loudness doesn't really follow from one side to the other.  My other system is the same way using all different components.  strange.   I tried switching cables on my Heresy system and made no difference.   Thought made this was normal, but wanted to post and see.  Only thing that's the same between the two systems is that both amps are Chinese. One is 12w and other is 25w, different brands thou.
If they are Yaqin amps they are notorious for this issue. It's in the volume pot

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mopardave said:

like others said , the  amps are in cause  very odd , maybe you can get a meter app ,on your phone  and read the DB levels out of each speaker ------you can balance  the louder channel with an EQ or replace the volume pot yourself with a MADE IN JAPAN  ----high quality volume pot ,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mopardave said:

I did check each speak at 1 meter and they both seemed to have same out put, but my ear tells my the right speaker on each amp are playing louder.    I have a Douk  kt88 12w/ch and an Audcom EL34 25w/ch.

It might be your ears, try facing away from the speakers and see if it switches. Happened to me.