CornScala project

mopardave

2 hours ago, Skelt said:
On 10/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, kevinmi said:
I would use a thin foam seal, like the stuff you buy at Home Depot, to make sure the cabinet is as airtight as possible.

I notice air leaks at the tweeter on my cornies. Is there any way to seal this better?

Foam tape from Parts express is made just for those instances.

5 hours ago, Skelt said:
On 10/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, kevinmi said:
I would use a thin foam seal, like the stuff you buy at Home Depot, to make sure the cabinet is as airtight as possible.

I notice air leaks at the tweeter on my cornies. Is there any way to seal this better?

You can also try rope caulk .   

Spent some time on the project this weekend.  The mid driver brace was installed into both cabinets.  Had to carve a circle 1/4" deep in the rear covers to clear the mid drivers as they are a bit long with the horn.   More sanding and straightening up with much more sanding to come then semi gloss black the fronts, rear and risers.    Veneering will be last.   I think I just might install crossovers inside cabinets after all.

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Spent 5 hrs on the project yesterday.   No pic, nothing to see really.  I removed the old grill cloth and cut the larger horn opening, added a brace to the rear panel and sanded a bunch.  I will be picking up the veneer this Friday.    Need to get the lambs wool fabric ordered.    Where can I find the Cornscala script to put on the front grill cover?   I think there is a guy in Russia that makes those, i'll have to search that out.     Lots more sanding to do.

I received the Lambs wool grill fabric from 123stitch. Its not what I had expected.  Looks like burlap. Its not the off white color I was thinking and just doesn't look right.  What I received was tan colored material on a roll and it has been folded.    Gonna look for something different in a lighter color like an off white or cream color.

Dave,

Good luck matching that fabric.  I’m not being sarcastic or facetious.  It is worth some research and effort to get that look.  Is it available from Klipsch, Crites or Metropolis Lakes Outfitters?  If not, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I look forward to seeing and hearing them when you’re done.

What motor is in your father’s Chevelle?

Before you give up on the fabric, let me suggest something. Go to Joann's Fabrics and get some "Cambric". This is the thin black fabric that is under your sofa. Apply that to the baffle and then put your lambswool fabric over that. 

I ran into a similar problem once (you could see the baffle structure under the thin grille cloth and you could not see the texture and subtitles in the color of the grille cloth). The black "backing" made all the difference. It is cheap and acoustically transparent. Unfortunately it does not have much stretch.

Good Luck,

-Tom

39 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Dave,

Good luck matching that fabric.  I’m not being sarcastic or facetious.  It is worth some research and effort to get that look.  Is it available from Klipsch, Crites or Metropolis Lakes Outfitters?  If not, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I look forward to seeing and hearing them when you’re done.

What motor is in your father’s Chevelle?

Ok. I'll look around.  SS has a 400 in it with dart heads and roller cam.  

14 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Before you give up on the fabric, let me suggest something. Go to Joann's Fabrics and get some "Cambric". This is the thin black fabric that is under your sofa. Apply that to the baffle and then put your lambswool fabric over that. 

I ran into a similar problem once (you could see the baffle structure under the thin grille cloth and you could not see the texture and subtitles in the color of the grille cloth). The black "backing" made all the difference. It is cheap and acoustically transparent. Unfortunately it does not have much stretch.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I will make note of that. Thanks