CornScala project

mopardave

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Dave,

Good luck matching that fabric.  I’m not being sarcastic or facetious.  It is worth some research and effort to get that look.  Is it available from Klipsch, Crites or Metropolis Lakes Outfitters?  If not, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I look forward to seeing and hearing them when you’re done.

What motor is in your father’s Chevelle?

123stitch has a 18 count ivory that looks close as a match.

Just spoke with Duracrest.  $100/yd with a 2 yd minimum.  I think I might try the ivory from 123stitch.  He did give me a tip on application thou. The grill needs to be bowed inward as you apply fabric or it with sag. Needs to be steamed as well to get wrinkles out.

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Just spoke with Duracrest.  $100/yd with a 2 yd minimum.  I think I might try the ivory from 123stitch.  He did give me a tip on application thou. The grill needs to be bowed inward as you apply fabric or it with sag. Needs to be steamed as well to get wrinkles out.

Ouch!  That seems expensive, but maybe that's what going rate is.  I'm sure someone around here should know. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent a few more hours on the Cornscala project as I was at my dads for the weekend.   I sprayed the fronts heavy and the finish looks much nicer than the backs. The backs looked a bit blotchy, but they were still wet when I left.  I may need to respray the backs one more time.

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Rattle can satin black by ACE.

The fronts turned out nicer because there was some left over finish that worked like primer/fill.

I'm guessing you used the spray can over the raw plywood. Spray painting raw plywood or MDF can be an exercise in futility with blotches.

Black latex (be it flat/semi or even gloss) applied with a 3/8" knap roller works pretty well. It leaves a bit of textured finish however.

Nonetheless, Ace rattle cans are cheap, and you're pretty much committed by now.

21 hours ago, mopardave said:

Spent a few more hours on the Cornscala project as I was at my dads for the weekend.   I sprayed the fronts heavy and the finish looks much nicer than the backs. The backs looked a bit blotchy, but they were still wet when I left.  I may need to respray the backs one more time.

IMG_0678.JPG

Is that a 1972 Chevy Malibu SS sitting in the driveway? 

Never mind, I went back a page and read your father's Chevelle. Super nice, 454 4-speed?