CornScala project

mopardave

1 hour ago, mike stehr said:

The fronts turned out nicer because there was some left over finish that worked like primer/fill.

I'm guessing you used the spray can over the raw plywood. Spray painting raw plywood or MDF can be an exercise in futility with blotches.

Black latex (be it flat/semi or even gloss) applied with a 3/8" knap roller works pretty well. It leaves a bit of textured finish however.

Nonetheless, Ace rattle cans are cheap, and you're pretty much committed by now.

That could be the issue. I'll have to see it when dry.  Front and back was sanded to same finish.

1 hour ago, polizzio said:

I'm hoping 454 - 4 speed. Clearly Dave's father likes to "smoke um" every now and then :)

No it's a 400 small block original 72 4 speed as with working cowl induction hood. Car is like new in and out with all new suspension, trans and built 400 with dart heads and hydro roller cam.  He's 92 years old now, so dont drive anymore.  

• Like 2

Just now, mopardave said:

No it's a 400 small block original 72 4 speed as with working cowl induction hood. Car is like new in and out with all new suspension, trans and built 400 with dart heads and hydro roller cam.  He's 92 years old now, so dont drive anymore.  

My car is a 67 cuda with 12.5:1 511 BB auto with 5100 stall. Pro street set up with an 1100 Dominator soon to have a tunnel ram.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

My car is a 67 cuda with 12.5:1 511 BB auto with 5100 stall. Pro street set up with an 1100 Dominator soon to have a tunnel ram.

Sounds pretty nasty, we need some pics.

I had a black 72 Dodge Demon, 340 4 speed, sweet running car. Traded it straight up with a guy for a red 72 Corvette, 454 TH 400. He wanted my Demon bad! I see you're from MI, the epicenter of great American muscle cars in the 1960s and on. Used to be quite a street race scene in Detroit, least what I read about in Hot Rod over the many years.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Sounds pretty nasty, we need some pics.

I had a black 72 Dodge Demon, 340 4 speed, sweet running car. Traded it straight up with a guy for a red 72 Corvette, 454 TH 400. He wanted my Demon bad! I see you're from MI, the epicenter of great American muscle cars in the 1960s and on. Used to be quite a street race scene in Detroit, least what I read about in Hot Rod over the many years.

Here's a vid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get much accomplished while at my dads for Christmas. I did give them another coat on the back panels and figured why the paint was blotchy looking. When spraying, I was moving the nozzle too fast.  This paint needs good over laps and a slow motion to lay down properly.  They are now pretty good, but not like I want them, so next visit I will give them 1 more good coat and get the veneer all cut.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not perfect by any means, but acceptable IMO.   Have some touch up left and then reassemble.   I'm planning two pairs of grills, one with the Gullford off white and the Gullford medium grey.  I finally received the Cornscala emblems from Russia and I am gonna order another pair for the second pair of grills.  The emblems(badges) look real nice, but thinner than I expected. Last pic with the horn.

IMG_0750.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Randyh said:

was the veneer  very expensive  for the mids horn , what are you using , what kind of drivers  are going in

The veneer I used was pricey at $400 a 8x10' sheet from Oakwood veneer.  The mid drivers are the B&C DE85 and will be using the DE120's as well.  

• Like 2