CornScala project

mopardave

24 minutes ago, polizzio said:

@mopar dave 

Really nice looking Dave. I wouldn't mind those sitting in my LR. I bet they will sound really good; even more pleasing knowing you built them.

Thank you. I get a lot of satisfaction doing things myself.  Anybody can do this, just need a few tools and a drive to try.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mopardave said:

Thank you. I get a lot of satisfaction doing things myself.  Anybody can do this, just need a few tools and a drive to try.

Love that veneer!  Looking fantastic, can't wait to hear your impressions when they are fired up.  

2 hours ago, Randyh said:

yeah , 400$ for a 4x 8 foot sheet -

It gets more expensive than that.  Some of the Rosewoods are $700 a sheet.   They do offer a man made wood veneer like the Zebrawood I used on my Super Heresy. I think that was $200 a 4x8 sheet.   

Something I'm sure you notice, but I haven't mentioned it is, I left the woofer opening off center as the vertical Cornwall's were, but I did plan on getting everything centered by removing my motorboard and replacing with Crites motorboards.  Mine were glued and nailed. I would of destroyed the cabinets getting those out, so I just left them as is with the woofer opening off center.  One of a kind for sure, but does give character.      Can't wait to finish and get a listen.   

Here's the two colors I"m using for the grill clothe.  Off white on left first pic with lambs wool on the right and light grey second pic.  Last pic is off white without flash gives a better idea of the real deal.    Really like the off white and should go good with the darker wood.

IMG_0672.JPG

light grey mix.jpg

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HPower said:

I am really liking that veneer!

It's making me 2nd guess going with the "flat cut" Walnut that I have going on my trio of Heresy IIIs that I am currently building.

What cut is your Walnut ?

https://www.oakwoodveneer.com/veneer-collections/vinterio-by-danzer.html    I honestly don't know, but you can take a look at the listing.

10 hours ago, Randyh said:

did you like the Zebra wood look , or does it  not look like real  natural  wood  , the very dark zebra wood you had posted , was really nice

Up close i'm not crazy about it, but from a few feet back it looks great.   It doesn't look like real wood and the real tiger wood is too grainy and too striped for me. The manufactured stuff is the better looking of the two.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Randyh said:

it's kind of neat , the tweeter remains like a vertical Cornwall -with the sparkle and -the mids horn is all over the place -great job  , these gotta sound great

Will see. I would have to build a complete new pair to center everything up on the motor board. When I originally built them as vert Cornwall, I screwed and glued the motor boards in. There was no way to remove them without destroying the the cabinet. My original plan in this build was to buy a pair of motor boards from Crites.  So, it is a bit of a one of a kind Cornscala and in case you don't know, the vert tweeter sounds no different than a horizontal one.     

1 hour ago, No.4 said:

Those look awesome! I’m glad those horns are going to good use!

Thanks for selling them to me.  Hard to find horn. I originally bought the JBL horn with the narrow throat and after reading many negatives about them I decided a open throat horn would be best.   Fingers crossed that that sound good.