DIY fake bamboo

dtel

• Moderators

Well Just something different if needed to decorate a patio, bar or whatever. :lol: Posted this for no reason really.....

Fake bamboo that is tough, cheap and easy to make plus looks real but made from PVC pipe.

You scar around the pipe where you want a joint in the bamboo, I use a table saw set very shallow, just enough to make a shallow groove. They say you can use a razor knife ir anything to make a pretty good scar.

Next you use a small torch like the kind you use to sweat pipes and you burn it all along that scar, (outside only with a breeze) heat it really good but do NOT breath any of these fumes. Lit it cool and sand leigth wise with coarse sandpaper like a 60 grit or similar and wash off the rest of the black burned parts, or wet sand which I did these. 

E29ECFFA-CABA-4C2D-A4CF-6CC08BEF6025.jpeg

• Like 5

• Moderators

Use Amber shellac and apply 2 coats or more if you want it darker, let dry and your done, weather proof, I have some outside for over 4 years now and added one coat more over that time and it looks like this. The top pic is 2 coats.

First pic is what I just did and the second of the bar is 4+ years old and has taken a beating and still looks good.

43FAB603-E463-4EF8-90AA-C4C44A118A67.jpeg

2BAA4337-574C-4002-B561-BB84D15732AD.jpeg

• Like 8

• Moderators

What I made today will be hanging lights, 7 and they will hang close to the ceiling above a counter area just to add more light, it will be 60w equivalent but LED's on a dimmer so it can be turned down.

This little bulb socket goes in the PVC and will be wired in line with all the rest, one line one dimmer.

C399D870-A82D-42AC-8CFF-779132887A9D.jpeg

• Like 5

• Moderators

It will light up this counter, which is not done yet. The counter needs many coats of marine spar varnish like the other bar. Then I need to do something to clean up that old porcelain sink which I haven't figured out yet, then the faucet can be put back in.

Those pipes on the right are 12"long and 3" PVC, the counter is 12' wide, we really needed the counter space when people bring food and drinks, crock pots or whatever. It will keep it off the main bar.

The 2 front parts with the tin will have a double outlet on each side close to the counter for a blender or crockpot, whatever really.

45D12395-B818-4C54-A6DB-26F46A4AD49B.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

looks nice Elden.  does that get pricey with all that PVC?

Not really it may end up being cheaper than if I had  covered it in wood. The bar is 2" pvc and the sink area is 1 1/2" but those are ripped lengthwise so one piece covers twice the area, there was no reason to leave them round. 

It is very tough, the front of the bar gets hit and bumped when people sit on the stools and it has never had a problem.

22 minutes ago, GeorgeK said:

Very slick. Looks great.

Thank you

• Like 1

Looks like a great place to hang.  Kudo's!  Could pull the sink and have some bathtub place powder coat it when they're doing another tub for someone or just leave it as it is.  Whatever works when you're hangin out back anyway.  Your wallet!  lol

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Kudo's!  Could pull the sink and have some bathtub place powder coat it when they're doing another tub for someone or just leave it as it is. 

It's really dirty right now but it does have places where there is no porcelain left, I like the idea of powder coating but it would probably be more trouble to remove the old coating. Thought of throwing it in a fire and let it all pop off, probably not a good idea. It is just sitting there and can be lifted out easily, it fits so well I have never had it fastened down it does not move.

The do sell kits to fix porcelain but some of the reviews are not good, and it's expensive to have it done professionally, with little wear and tear even a good paint job would be fine. The wife said the same thing you did, clean it up and let it be, might be what happens ?

What you said about the wallet is important, I try to/ have to watch it all the time, but it is a nice place to hang and with a couple hammocks out there you can do it literally. I tend to hang out here alot, put the ceiling fans on, turn on the music and hang in a hammock, no man cave so I guess that's it. 

• Like 1

Just had a brain fart reading that.  Lady I know used some kind of paint on her stove and fridge about 5 years ago.  Went from light green to silver and it actually looks great, which amazed me.  That might be the ticket.  I'll find out more and let you know.  She also used an brush on epoxy of some sort on her counter tops to update the look.  Don't think she had trouble with that comin off or cracking.  Has to be a white brush on epoxy out there somewhere!

• Moderators

Thanks, yes one thing I was thinking about when I said to try and remove the old porcelain was to get it down to metal and find an epoxy. That would work great, and even better if it just needed to be roughed up to apply.

Even it was not white it would not matter to me as long as it was not terribly dark or black. 

• Moderators

All color sinks matter.......................... but darker is harder to see at night or low light

Ok nevermind, i just don't do well with the PC stuff, sometimes offend even to non PC people.