Another Project

Dave A

Since there are a number of projects floating around here lately I thought I would post a teaser of one I am working on. Got the Delta Unisaw Monday and the stack of 8 sheets 25mm Baltic Wednesday and tomorrow starts cutty cutty. Once the first one is built and the bugs worked out I will have more to say. This one will be capable of prodigious output. Dedicated to a source of known trouble and audio discontent in Flint Mi.

better new three way.jpg

Well I am going for something capable of much more output and bass than that with great fidelity as well. Time will tell if the experiment will do it but I am pretty sure it will. Oh and by the way it is 25mm Baltic Birch through and though as this is a glued sawdust free shop. In Nashville there are tons of custom speakers being built I guess and 5' x 5' x 25mm runs $48 per sheet with tax. Three sheets will be used for this pair.

• Like 1

Came to a conclusion about unisaws also. To darned much trouble to use and keep things square and these sheets are big and hard to handle on that unisaw with precision. Selling it off and moving to mostly all Festool stuff it looks like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

kinda, never truly happy until i actually smell saw dust!

not the direction i thought you were heading, but very interesting.

keep us posted as to the progress.

You have no idea of the prodigious output this thing will have and should go to the low 30's. I smell sawdust but unless you carry out that idle threat to appear you will never know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

You have no idea of the prodigious output this thing will have and should go to the low 30's. I smell sawdust but unless you carry out that idle threat to appear you will never know.

Yes, an idle threat from an extremely idle guy (of late). But I get to start moving around a little next week.

I have a small project that I will ease back into soon that will produce a little dust.

That will have to do for now. 

Looking forward to the "prodigious output" of this new design.

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

Well I am going for something capable of much more output and bass than that with great fidelity as well. Time will tell if the experiment will do it but I am pretty sure it will. Oh and by the way it is 25mm Baltic Birch through and though as this is a glued sawdust free shop. In Nashville there are tons of custom speakers being built I guess and 5' x 5' x 25mm runs $48 per sheet with tax. Three sheets will be used for this pair.

Dave -

Where do you find the 25 mm BB in Nashville?  From one of the big national stores or a local place?  My cursory attempts to find it here in Birmingham have been unsuccessful but I keep looking around.

Thanks, can't wait to see this project, esp the crossover, dsp, etc. 

Tom

Edited by tom1066

That is an imposing mid driver. Googled it to see Pringle’s, Amazon shows 499.00. 

Also calls it a subwoofer with 4” voice coil. Nothing is perfect. 

Nashville Plywood and Middle Tennessee Lumber May stock the 1” Baltic birch. 42.00 a sheet is very reasonable. 

4 hours ago, tom1066 said:

Dave -

Where do you find the 25 mm BB in Nashville?  From one of the big national stores or a local place?  My cursory attempts to find it here in Birmingham have been unsuccessful but I keep looking around.

Thanks, can't wait to see this project, esp the crossover, dsp, etc. 

Tom

Nashville Plywood is it. There are also yards in Birmingham that carry Baltic Birch however they are much more $$ and I don't know if they have 25mm. You will not find the good stuff at Home Depot or Lowes or any other store like that. They will have Chinese birch and it is terrible.

4 hours ago, Panelhead said:

That is an imposing mid driver. Googled it to see Pringle’s, Amazon shows 499.00. 

Also calls it a subwoofer with 4” voice coil. Nothing is perfect. 

Nashville Plywood and Middle Tennessee Lumber May stock the 1” Baltic birch. 42.00 a sheet is very reasonable. 

US Speaker or Parts Express will have them also and won't be calling them subwoofers which of course they are not. Good 2" drivers are not cheap but there is no substitute.

There is a guy in Knoxville that stocks several thicknesses of BB (in case someone can't find it and is close enough)

Dave....maybe it's my perspective but that is looking rather puny.  What are those, 4" woofers??

You've gone bose on us?

On 10/5/2019 at 7:17 PM, Dave A said:

OK are you all happy now😁

better new three way.jpg