McIntosh or Legacy

JRS94

I have an opportunity to buy some used McIntosh equipment, MC 352, MX 120. I'm currently using a Legacy Powerbloc 600 amp and an older Luxman preamp. Will the McIntosh be a night and day difference or will it be subtle. I have Crites updated 1979 Khorns, and soon to have the Volti mid horn kit (keeping the Crites mid driver). Curious to have the forum's opinion. 

Thanks 

I don't know how Mcintosh compares to Luxman, but the significant majority of my gear is Mcintosh, and there's a reason for that....If you can get a good deal on the Mcintosh, buy it.  You almost certainly will not lose money on it, unless it is cosmetically challenged.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IB Slammin said:

I may be a freak as well. I like the Lux 

Company history is interesting. They went from radio in the 20's to hifi through the 80's. They were high end until some corporate bozos ruined the company by selling to Alpine which cheapened the brand name. They still had some good products but damage was done. This is when Mr.Miura left Luxman as audio designer to form Airtight. Airtight I believe went beyond Luxman. Very nice gear...

10 hours ago, seti said:

Company history is interesting. They went from radio in the 20's to hifi through the 80's. They were high end until some corporate bozos ruined the company by selling to Alpine which cheapened the brand name. They still had some good products but damage was done. This is when Mr.Miura left Luxman as audio designer to form Airtight. Airtight I believe went beyond Luxman. Very nice gear...

Agreed, my tp117 is a 1989 an pretty much looks like it just came out of the box, works perfectly. It's a tough decision. 

My other struggle is to just go tubes with the khorns. 

2 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

When I got rid of my Mac stuff, I went to tubes and never looked back!

Yup, I just posted about shops that let you try equipment or if there is anything local for sale. Been looking at Prima Luna and Quicksilver tube stuff. This is fun but frustrating at the same time. 

McIntosh stuff is Great! But the MC352 is way more power than you need. Even if you get the MC352 I would pass on the MX120. It is a surround sound processor. I think you would be better served with a two channel preamp. I use a McIntosh C2600 tube pre and a MC275 v6 tube amp. They sound Great with my Khorns. I would go tubes. If you don’t want to spend the money to go McIntosh tubes then PrimaLuna is a good option. I have a friend that uses the PrimaLuna DiaLogue amp/pre and they sound fantastic. Another more cost effective option is a good tube integrated. I have two friends using integrated tube amps with Cornwall’s. One has a McIntosh MA2275 the other has a PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP integrated. Both set ups sound killer. Audio Research and E.A.R. Also make some great sounding tube gear. Manley and B.A.T. make good tube gear. There are many more  companies out there that make tube stuff. I only mentioned manufactures that I have owned or a close friend has owned. I think Klipsch Heritage Speakers Sound great with a good tube set up. But there is a lot of tube stuff that’s junk. The most important thing is to have well designed and quality built gear. 

I'm leaning towards the Quicksilver mid mono with EL 34's at present. Looking at Prima Luna and Jolida as well.  Also doing the Volti VTrac 2 mid horn kit, keeping the Crites drivers. The Vtracs are due end of the month, then I'll go after the tube stuff. One change at a time. My Khorns are 1979's  and have all Crites replacements and type A crossover.  Any experience with this set up? Also, I'm still using my '89 Luxman TP 117 preamp. That will likely be the next change. I will go check out the amps listed above, thanks for that. Not sure how to attach a link . 

The mid mono's specs look pretty well and good price. http://quicksilveraudio.com