Anyone here a recruiter or hiring authority?

BigStewMan

When a question asks you to “briefly” state how your background and experience prepares you for the job ... how much can you write and still be “brief?”  

Curious as to whether there are unwritten rules such as  “x” number of paragraphs is acceptable -- go over that amount and the application is tossed without being read. 

I’m getting answers ranging from one paragraph that consists of four to five sentences and others saying two double-spaced pages and one said 500 words. 

so, if anyone here is in HR and reads mountains of resumes ... please let me know what recruiters think the limit of brief is.  oh yeah, this wasn’t in regards to the resume; but, to three  supplemental questions asked on the application. Thanks for the advice.

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

When a question asks you to “briefly” state how your background and experience prepares you for the job ... how much can you write and still be “brief?”  

Curious as to whether there are unwritten rules such as  “x” number of paragraphs is acceptable -- go over that amount and the application is tossed without being read. 

I’m getting answers ranging from one paragraph that consists of four to five sentences and others saying two double-spaced pages and one said 500 words. 

so, if anyone here is in HR and reads mountains of resumes ... please let me know what recruiters think the limit of brief is.  oh yeah, this wasn’t in regards to the resume; but, to three  supplemental questions asked on the application. Thanks for the advice.

I would follow brief as one paragraph HR people want to have you think they are busy.Depending, sometimes they are. You want to make the first elimination round.

Yes, short and sweet. ...to the points...

• Like 1

One paragraph addressing the specifics of the supplemental questions, possibly using bullet points to clearly identify those answers needed.  Might also help if you let us know what field you are applying to (IT, marketing, hospitality, etc.)

• Thanks 1

I read a LOT of resumes and agree with Jim.
For each "required qualification / experience" bulletize the strong ones under that heading how/where /successes
For each "desired qualification / experience" simply state the ones you have.

Mine is two pages and I would never go more. Make me interested in speaking with you to get the granularity.
One thing that sticks out to me is the use of non-professional email addresses. Hot1@gmail gets trashed without a read.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I read a LOT of resumes and agree with Jim.
For each "required qualification / experience" bulletize the strong ones under that heading how/where /successes
For each "desired qualification / experience" simply state the ones you have.

Mine is two pages and I would never go more. Make me interested in speaking with you to get the granularity.
One thing that sticks out to me is the use of non-professional email addresses. Hot1@gmail gets trashed without a read.

Right or wrong, here is example of my most recent position as a generic, non-specific posting not addressing any particulars of a specific job posting. Left out headers so as not to identify personal / company info. Formatting didn't carry over.

•    Subject Matter Expert for P-3 aircraft maintenance, technical manuals, tooling, processes, support equipment I have helped the team exceed contract requirements for mission success by 17% for ten consecutive years. 
•    Ability to prioritize, multi-task and communicate with company and customer leadership, peers and all levels of personnel within and outside the company has led to increased productivity, reduced cost and increased workforce morale.
•    Develop and present quarterly Program Management Reviews (PMRs).
•    Initiate contract deliverables along with company and customer processes, policies and procedures.
•    Lead aircraft maintenance data collection, research, analysis and present in formats that make impact and are easily understood.
•    Review Aircraft Configuration Change Requests (ACCR) for aircraft modification, oversee first article installations and red line drawings to ensure aircraft flight safety, system functionality and cost efficiency.
•    Team leader of multiple detachments to remove airworthy components from retiring military aircraft resulting in millions of dollars savings for customer. 

So you didn’t like my resume where i used Hot1@gmail.com?  That stuff gets to me too. 

So, here is one of the supplemental questions:   Briefly state how your background and training prepares you for this position

Now i have a military career and career with the county government that provided more experience than they’re asking for, so my problem is how do i get two careers worth of stuff and still follow the instruction of “briefly.”  Are you saying that it’s okay to answer supplemental questions via bullet points?  I was actually going into the narrative form and that was requiring a total of five short paragraphs.  Can be read in a minute; but, if I’m application number 125 will the recruiter toss it because it “appears” longer than the others?

Also, i’ll undoubtedly be in competition with people that have did this very job at this or other fire departments ... i need to distinguish myself from those and that takes words. I know this is all stuff just to get me to an interview (where I’ll have to learn to guard my tongue already ... i applied for a job once in Dana Point, CA right on the ocean. They asked what about the job most interested me.  Instinctively, i blurted out “Nothing about it interests me ... the office is at the beach and i like the beach so i’ll be happy and a happy worker is a better worker.”  after the panel picked their jaws up off the table, one of them leaned forward and said, “that’s the reason I took this job.”  

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Just tell them the Smiley line---that you're good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it, people like you.

Then after rejection, tell them what you really think about HR retards like them.

being a college drop out, i once went on a rant about how i’m not impressed by people that frame big pieces of paper and hang it on their wall. To me, they just proved that they can sit in a classroom for four years. I had failed to notice the four large pieces of paper that were framed and hanging behind the hiring authorities head.  i didn’t get the job. I asked why. she said that she was looking for a type A personality.  shortly thereafter, during a reorganization, she got assigned to the section where i worked. Now, she was making over a hundred grand -- two months later, she comes in, packs up her stuff and quit. definitely got my respect. 

29 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Briefly state how your background and training prepares you for this position

Now i have a military career and career with the county government

My military career and county government position have proven my dedication, ability to work as a team member, being precise while following policies and procedures and outstanding customer service. 

• Like 1

Our current "buzz words"
C.O.A. Culture of Accountability. Always stay 'above the line'; below the line is blaming others, making excuses, claiming mis-information. Above the line is seeing an issue, accepting responsibility to fix it; do it and provide feedback to anyone raising an issue.

Diversity: embracing all age groups, ethnicities and all other subsets of humanity as they all have a voice and different ways to approach a problem that you may be subconsciously bias toward.

In our corporate resumes and S.T.A.R interviews: Situation Task Action Result

I absolutely enjoy working with a company who values diversity as I have found through my experience that  different viewpoints often lead to the best solution.

I have always promoted a culture of accountability where anyone that hears of an issue accepts the responsibility to take it on board, does what is necessary to correct the issue if possible (if not send it up to the next level) and provide timely feedback to the individual that trusted me to hear the issue. I strive to be the person who the team members trust to bring issues to. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, USNRET said:

My military career and county government position have proven my dedication, ability to work as a team member, being precise while following policies and procedures and outstanding customer service. 

There is no I in team.

There is me however.

• 2 weeks later...

If you get a face to face if you can try to find out in advance where they went to school and buy a keychain or some other trinket that endorses the schools sports team. Make sure they see it somehow. I went to a Lawyer for divorce back in 1987 and the second time in I just happened to wear a IU cap. He looked at my cap and went in to a 10 min rant on how much he liked Indiana U and he had went to school there. I looked at the wall and there was the proof. I would think this may give you a leg up in a deal like this also. By the way he asked me how much did he tell me the divorce would cost for his services, and I told him. He said lets cut that price in half.  I was as happy as a guy going thur divorce can be lol. I know they look at facebook so make sure there is nothing on there that makes you look extreme or crazy .

56 minutes ago, mr clean said:

know they look at facebook

i’ve never participated in facebook.  crazy?  well, they’ll find that out if they interview me. i tend to leave interviews thinking, “I probably shouldn’t have said that.”  Except for the time i went to a panel interview and there were four ladies on the panel, and i approached the table they were seated at, stood there and shook their hands. after the interview as i walked out i noticed that my pants were TOTALLY unzipped and it was VERY noticeable.  Didn’t get the job; but they ranked me high and put me on the “A” list for future hiring.