Forte III Placement

Hello folks, first time poster here. 

I have a gorgeous pair of Forte III’s in Walnut with Lambswool Grilles running off of a Rogue Atlas Magnum II, driven by a Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp in a small 10 X 11 room with 2 openings on adjacent walls and in the corners. Former bedroom we blew through one wall and removed the door on the other opening.

I am looking for optimal placement for that 3D soundstage like a water filled aquarium. I have heard room treatments are critical, I don’t buy it and really can’t in this room. I have the speakers raised on 11” walnut custom plinths for lack of a better term. The sound is outstanding. I also have a Klipsch SW 112 12” sub. 

Any opinions on maximizing my 3 dimensional room filing, speaker disappearing sound?

Thanks, 

Whaler

9428A41D-CE50-4A73-A8FB-1FB70BA5ED9E.jpeg

• Like 1

I think the speakers are too large for the room, or another way to say it is, the room is too small. I think you'd be more likely to get that 3D soundstage if you could pull the Forte's away from the walls a foot or two or at least spread them farther apart, but the room is too small to do that.

I wonder if you'd be better of with a smaller pair of speakers, and that subwoofer I see in the corner.

Also, the dimensions of your room are close to a square. If I recall (someone else chime in if you will), square rooms cause all sorts of acoustic problems. Your lack of 3D may be due to your room's dimensions.

58 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I think the speakers are too large for the room, or another way to say it is, the room is too small.

Not sure why you think that. I've had K'horns at 13 feet and the imaging and sound was awesome, confirmed by many hornheads who visited. The sub can go anywhere as the crossover should be well below directionality given the Forte's low end. Sub placement becomes less and less important as the crossover frequency goes down. I challenge anyone to locate a sub that is at 80 Hz or below. 

Dave

• Like 1

OP:

What genre(s) of music do you listen to?

When you attend live performances of the music you like, do you experience pinpoint localization of each musician?   Is “imaging” or “3D” an attribute of a live performance of the music you listen to?

What types of recordings do you play (e.g., LP, CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, 24bit/192kHz download, DSD download, etc.)?

Have you achieved the imaging that you want via a different home hi-fi system? 

You guys are all great, I have them 18" off the back well toed in probably around 15 degrees to center position. My other guess seeing it is 6:30 AM, volume must be at a higher level to really listen for differences....and right now cant turn em up much :)...well maybe for a minute!

I am getting a better sound here, Bass is not my problem, they do just fine in that regard and I believe it to be tight concise and clear.

I did think about smaller speakers and still am frankly,but the sound of these I describe as 'Round" to people as it is just so full and nice, I don't know the words!

IMG_0639-1.jpg

• Like 3

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-manuals/Heritage-Manual-V03WEB.pdf

Yep, false. 6th page first paragraph

Mine are still in the small room I thought I'd move them from a year ago. Personally I always say "Spread `em"

Outside back corners are 7" from that wall, the insides are 8" from the back, looks like there's nothing stopping you from experimenting with that either.

Read somewhere that corners can fortify the bass response of any speaker, but you've got a sub in there anyhow. I dial the cutoff at 40 to 50 mostly on my sub to "round out" the sound depending on the media.

Pretty F3's friend (Whalers fan.. or actual whaler?) and the colors in the am light are nice in that room!

Bet those sound more rich than mine running on ss with your Rogue components, but I'm sure lots are drooling over that old Marantz!

IMG-20191007-081040.jpg

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I think the speakers are too large for the room,

Not true, as far as the horn goes in the room, the bigger the horn the better it controls the room, ask a speaker designer, the designer of this speaker and many others also.

2 hours ago, NewBedfordWhaler said:

NewBedfordWhaler based on history here where I live, the office where the stereo is has a 180 degree view of the ocean and it is just a gorgeous place to live....

Yes indeed it is, our autumn down south of you isn't as far along!

Enjoy those F3s, and I forgot to mention... Welcome to the forums!

• 2 weeks later...

Experiment with the sub moved to the middle

the Fortes moved close to the corners and slanted in

experiment with focus on your listening chair

in front of it and behind at different angles

sometimes slightly off axis sounds better

The radiators need room to work

the question is how much, I would start out a few inches off of the wall and go from there

I demo'd some that were approx 10ft apart and 3-4ft off of the wall and sounded great

Area rug between you and the speakers is a good idea.

Back of the room is a good place for book shelves, curtains or a hanging rug

On 10/7/2019 at 6:33 AM, NewBedfordWhaler said:

I read somewhere that these are supposed to be close to the walls, is that a non truth?

I always put mine flush at 45 degrees to the listening area. No harm in trying it for a while and then moving them out a bit. My experience is that one rarely hears a distinct difference in small moves unless you give it weeks or months before making a move.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 11:40 AM, Mallette said:

My experience is that one rarely hears a distinct difference in small moves unless you give it weeks or months before making a move.

Amen.  Making changes day-to-day is a very good way to waste a lot of time because you'll hear changes at about that frequency doing nothing different.  Long-term averages are what matter most in this regard.

My Forte IIIs have been ~7" avg. from the wall behind them (slightly angled in - or roughly 6-1/2" inside, 7-1/2" outside) for months.  It's what my terrible room seems to "like" best thus far for an overall compromise.