Trying to eat more healthy

mr clean

After my brother passed , It made me think I need to start taking a little better care of myself. Im far from perfect but doing much better. Ive been eating berries and nuts every day. Ive take blueberries,strawberries,iceladic skyr, which is about the same as greek yogurt, layered with almonds on top and its almost like cheating. Try it you may like it! Looks about like the bottom pic but they are using granola.

image.thumb.png.3ea6e608684efea091480820006c8e0c.png  berry-parfait-4.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

if ya wanna really do something good for your health, eliminate stress.

Like send the little woman home to mother for a couple of weeks?

No longer an option here as my MIL has passed away. Wonder if her sister would like a nice two week visit?

Wb

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Good luck. But first you must divorce yourself from all relatives. They don't care about sugar and salt. They eat and drink like hell.

JJK

Ive gotten away from cokes. Maybe one a week. I make lemonade using the juice of one lemon and a bottle of bottled water with 2 packs of stevia. Very tasty. I do use some salt but have cut back. Trying to get a minimum of 4 fruits and veggies and very little 0 processed food. Only sugar is from fruit. One day a week I cheat some. OK bacon sometimes on cheat day 😎! I do eat some red meat and will not cut that out completely. I enjoy it too much. I am feeling better and have lost about 10 pounds so far. I have always had a problem with wanting to eat to much of the wrong things.I weigh about 220 and im 6 ft so im for sure not skinny! If you have anything that both tastes good and is healthy Let me know. Ive been making pizzas using a a flour tortilla for the crust and loading it with veggies and cut back on cheese. Even make my own sauce. Put it on a stone for 8 mins and bam!

meat and associated fat are not bad.  butter is good, too. Eggs? they're all over the place on them.... If ya like 'em, eat them. Fresh are much better. The ones in the store never saw each other before the carton. 

I do a lightweight paleo type diet. I eat what is in season.   Is it coincidence that citrus is in full season at the height of the flu/cold season?

quality of the food you are eating can make a difference. Folks think I don't like veggies. Wrong... I won't eat them if they aren't worth chewing. I'll eat a good tomato out of hand, like an apple. Store bought only works if I know who grew them.

and DO allow for some "cheating"... stress relief.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could make joke about my health going bad... right after I got married. Good thng I waited until I was 50+ to do that.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

if ya wanna really do something good for your health, eliminate stress.

My stress has been a problem for awhile. Funny you said that. Ive worked shift work for over 35 years. It was getting to me and the last 4 months have been a healing process. I won't tell the whole story but ive been off work for awhile and going back latter this month. Was getting some help and I feel better than I have in YEARS!!! My brothers passing took it over the top. I have three more years of working and then I can retire. Im not nuts but life has thrown some curveballs lately. Hard to admit for a guy and its been a rough ride but I needed it. Peace!!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I make lemonade using the juice of one lemon and a bottle of bottled water with 2 packs of stevia.

I make it like Chic Fil A does. Same as you except Splenda as the sweetener. Another way to make it that's really good is to make 1 gallon Crystal Light lemonade per directions and add the juice of 1 lemon.

• Like 2

You can get pizza crusts made with a cauliflower mixture. They cook up pretty nicely, uniformly crispy. Generally speaking the older you get the less calories you need and the more fit you are the less calories you require because a well maintained body is more ‘work’ efficient. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

My daughter just started a diet and as a result my wife and I are eating healthier.  We're very conscious as to what we eat at meal time with her and what food we now keep in the house.

Wise!

Prolems?  Everyone has em.  Stress off the charts, Type II diabetes, A-fib, 2 ablations, now have half a heart w/a pacer?  Kudos to the ex for some of  that!   Finally, starting to listen to my youngest daughter who's rock solid everywhere.  She's a former baller and weight lifter.  I used to worry about her but not anymore cause she'd absolutely kill anyone who jumped her.  All I've heard from her for the last 5 years is dad do this and dad do that.  In the last 6 months I've started listening.  No 2 litres of diet, eating tons better and feeling better.  It'll work if ya let it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Wise!

Prolems?  Everyone has em.  Stress off the charts, Type II diabetes, A-fib, 2 ablations, now have half a heart w/a pacer?  Kudos to the ex for some of  that!   Finally, starting to listen to my youngest daughter who's rock solid everywhere.  She's a former baller and weight lifter.  I used to worry about her but not anymore cause she'd absolutely kill anyone who jumped her.  All I've heard from her for the last 5 years is dad do this and dad do that.  In the last 6 months I've started listening.  No 2 litres of diet, eating tons better and feeling better.  It'll work if ya let it.

The doctor was trying to get me hooked on some meds as that is the answer for everything these days. I refused and started exercising. Lifting and walking. And eating better! As my ol buddy Hippocrates always told me. Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.’   

• Like 4

Yes @Dave1290... did not know. Leary of the word diet, as opposed to lifestyle changes... That said, there is the cabbage soup weight loss thing. Not as bad as it sounds, as can eat steak, bananas, brown rice. Lasts a week and goes by a couple or more names, Mayo Clinic...Dolly Parton...Got this from sister and can lose 17 pounds in that one week without starving. It seems that the more weight you have to lose, the more you do  I lost 12 in a week.  The loss is mostly water. It gives you a headstart on weight loss which up to you to maintain and confidence builder. Would recommend.running by Doctor first. Should be easy to find.

Good fortune...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Wise!

The doctor was trying to get me hooked on some meds as that is the answer for everything these days. I refused and started exercising. Lifting and walking. And eating better! As my ol buddy hippocrates always told me. Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.’   

• Like 1