Trying to eat more healthy

mr clean

I try to eat 4 complex carbs about the size of my fist and 4 protein sources about the size of the palm of my hand per day. 4 meals a day. 400 cal per meal and less than 35 grams of carbs. I add some veggies and thats it. Cheat some one day a week. About 1600 calories a day. You can't starve yourself.

• Like 3

I've been doing intermittent  fasting , where I  skip breakfast   and lunch   and eat dinner  no  sooner than 3pm  , sometimes  wait untill 5 pm  to eat my first meal of the day

Weekends , I'll eat breakfast but no lunch

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSZl5L7mOSM24uDCEbOt1DJTpI3AQ%3A1570463490858&source=hp&ei=Al-bXaT-MYj5-wSVuI_wBQ&q=intermittent+fasting&oq=interm&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l3j0i131l2j0l4j0i131.3336.9211..12123...0.0..0.134.766.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i67.Q-lHMmn_fWQ

From August of last year to May of this year I was on the Keto diet  , I loved that diet 

• Like 3

I’m 6’ even. Early 50’s.

Last November I was at 237 and the doctor warned that my fasting glucose was high and that if I didn’t lose my belly he was going to start me on metformin.

No thanks. I started losing immediately.

By February I was down 10 lbs and feeling better. All my numbers fell into line.

Doctor said, you’re on a low dose of BP meds now, and if you continue on this track, somewhere around 210 you will start getting dizzy occasionally. Yell when that happens and I will take you off your BP medicine.

That was the first time I even knew that was possible.

Well, I hit 210 and he was right. I’ve been off it a week or two now. Still losing. I will pause at 200, then probably proceed to 190.

You can do this. It has changed my life already.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am not eating "healthy" but have stopped eating like a fool, which helps.

I stopped drinking soda years ago (still drink too much coffee), dont ingest any "fake" sweeteners, and gave up on fast food. Everything else is just moderation.

I hope to further improve my diet some day, but these moves have kept me off meds, which I avoid.

Just had a knee replacement and had just about everything possible checked out prior to surgery and everyone comment on how healthy I was.

I dropped 20 lbs prior to surgery to help with the rehab, hopefully I can keep it off.

Once the knee heals, I hope to be back to walking 4 - 5 miles a day (not including normal day to day wondering)

Good luck!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I will pause at 200, then probably proceed to 190.

don't be surprised if you hit a "plateau" and results slow or stop. Not a dieter. My problem is lack of weight... but, I have a friend who has fought his weight forever. He does keto and lost a significant amt and it stopped. Not because there isn't more to give, either.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

... there is a magic proportion of fat/sugar and salt that hits all of [taste associated] pleasure centers.

that  will blow any diet out of the water.

Prefer sea salt. Iodine for thyroid still important. Had access to raw sugar in earlier days. Processed sugar, not so good. HFCS, even worse. Back on raw sugar for awhile now. Only season food while cooking. Per doctor advice back then...thanks and whatever works for individual s.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

eating like a fool,

that’s my problem ... for over a decade it’s been 90% fast food ... every meal ... every day. 

i know my lifestyle can change; but so far i’ve proven too weak.  OCD really destroyed my ability to cook ... it’s became so stressful that i just avoid it.

was talking to friend once and I said “okay, i have a heart attack and die ... so what”  he said, “You’re presupposing the first heart attack will kill you.”  That statement was scary.

By the grace of God i’m still healthy ... at least all the medical tests say so. 

I hope someday that i can make positive changes. 

• Like 3

I had a 3egg cheese omelette with salsa, sour cream and 2 slices dry toast for breakfast.

I stay away from Drs. I go once a year for a medical exemption.  I'm to the point where if they get hold of me and fix all what's wrong, I'll come out in a box

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

that’s my problem ... for over a decade it’s been 90% fast food ... every meal ... every day. 

i know my lifestyle can change; but so far i’ve proven too weak.  OCD really destroyed my ability to cook ... it’s became so stressful that i just avoid it.

was talking to friend once and I said “okay, i have a heart attack and die ... so what”  he said, “You’re presupposing the first heart attack will kill you.”  That statement was scary.

By the grace of God i’m still healthy ... at least all the medical tests say so. 

I hope someday that i can make positive changes. 

I hope I didn't make it sound like it was easy. The key is to do it when you are ready (providing you can wait)! I was ready and made the changes. Now it is habit. I wouldn't eat most fast food not on a bet. It doesn't appeal to me. I still haven't progressed into the "healthy eating" phase, I hope I can some day.

You do what works for you. You have already made many positive lifestyle changes which is admirable. Keep up the good fight. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WillyBob said:

I had a 3egg cheese omelette with salsa, sour cream and 2 slices dry toast for breakfast.

i don’t eat breakfast.  I only eat once a day ... generally about 3 o’clock. Problem is that i eat too much in that one meal. Portion control is another one of my problems. If I ate three meals a day, i’d probably be 250 instead of 214.  I was down to 178 a few years ago; but, then my brother moved in with me and he doesn’t eat out very often. cooks and stuff. so suddenly there was food in the house and snacking out of boredom became an issue. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I still haven't progressed into the "healthy eating" phase,

back in LA, i ate a lot healthier. they had what I guess are the equivalent of fast food joints ... such as Flame Broiler ... bowls of rice and veggies (most people add chicken; but, i’d only get the brown rice and veggies).  Sadly, they don’t have one here and i haven’t found anything similar. 

• Like 2

I just finished with a 2 mile walk. Thats as far as I go, because it can be done in a reasonable amount of time, and its not so far I dread it. I do it 4 or 5 times a week, and work out with weights 2. When you got off the sugar its like coming off drugs I would think. The third day was the worst for me. Foods you only tolerated before suddenly taste much better,  Eating healthy foods helps your mood also. Im far from perfect but doing much better! The fall festival is in a town over from me this week so pray for me!

http://www.nutclubfallfestival.com

http://www.nutclubfallfestival.com/festival-food/munchie-map

ride2.png?itok=hj-OQ7PA

• Like 3