Beef Tri-Tip Recipes Anyone?

Wolfbane

Tri-Tip. This cut is starting to show up in the Great White North but was unknown when I took a beef cutting course for interest 35 years ago (we cut beef in the British tradition here mostly).

An excellent cut that cooks quickly and comes from the area of the bottom sirloin. Tasty like Beef Brisket, without the need to smoke for hours or cook slowly in the oven with liquids.

Found a great recipe for it here: https://bakingmischief.com/2017/09/11/tri-tip-in-the-oven/

Wb

• Like 1

Santa Maria area of central coastal California is famous for grilled Tri Tip roast. Cooked over oak charcoal. When I cook(grill) a Tri Tip roast I make cuts along the grain and stuff the little cavities with whole peeled garlic cloves and peppercorns. I always use USDA prime cut but don't know how they grade it in the Great White North.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, babadono said:

Santa Maria area of central coastal California is famous for grilled Tri Tip roast. Cooked over oak charcoal. When I cook(grill) a Tri Tip roast I make cuts along the grain and stuff the little cavities with whole peeled garlic cloves and peppercorns. I always use USDA prime cut but don't know how they grade it in the Great White North.

i’ve eaten the santa maria style more times than i can count and it’s very tasty. goes well with some beans.

52 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Tri tip is grilled and even popular in places like California, but never BBQed...

NEVER?

https://www.smoker-cooking.com/how-to-smoke-a-tri-tip-slow-and-good.html

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/smoked-tri-tip-steak/

https://www.bbqdryrubs.com/how-long-to-smoke-tri-tip/

Now in out west not often maybe not but never is a strong word! Im sure as long as they make smokers and beer, I would not be surprised if an old shoe, has not been smoked low and slow!😎 I learned to mess with people on here from you, by the way. I will try it offset on the grill first time out. Peace!

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Never by real BBQers, as in Texans....and even through the deep south.

Jess Pryles is an Australian---case in point.

Texas has good BBQ but im not a fan of mesquite wood. Im a hickory, or peach wood fan.  I don't do much well but I consider myself a real BBQer. That and grow Tomatos is all I got lol. Im eating a pretty mean Pork Steak as we speak. Thats not popular out your way is it?  

53 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Texans generally smoke meats with oak or hickory, or pecan depending on what's available.  Mesquite is mainly for grilling some meats, or down south it is used for traditional cabrito and goat open techniques.  There's always room for pork my friend.

Almost everyone around here uses Hickory, Apple, Cherry, or Pecan. My brother had a Peach Tree blow over and he gave me a bunch of it. You use whats around usually but Peach and Pork go very well together. Im going to get out to the Orchard a few miles from here and get some when I can. He told me he had some. Ive tried blending different woods and usually to me I like using one kind of wood at a time. It never goes together in a way I think it will in my head. Ive have looked all the way to the end of the Internet and many Books about BBQing and figured out easy and basic works best for me most of the time.  I don't open the smoker every hour and spritz and not much into injecting. I usually put it on and don't open it again until I think its near done. Everyone has a different idea about what good Q is but I don't want mine hot as in spicy. 🐷🐓🐄  Peace!! 

18 hours ago, mr clean said:

Almost everyone around here uses Hickory, Apple, Cherry, or Pecan. My brother had a Peach Tree blow over and he gave me a bunch of it. You use whats around usually but Peach and Pork go very well together. Im going to get out to the Orchard a few miles from here and get some when I can. He told me he had some. Ive tried blending different woods and usually to me I like using one kind of wood at a time. It never goes together in a way I think it will in my head. Ive have looked all the way to the end of the Internet and many Books about BBQing and figured out easy and basic works best for me most of the time.  I don't open the smoker every hour and spritz and not much into injecting. I usually put it on and don't open it again until I think its near done. Everyone has a different idea about what good Q is but I don't want mine hot as in spicy. 🐷🐓🐄  Peace!! 

Hickory and Oak go well with beef brisket and beef ribs and would make a good starting point with tri-tip. I suspect tri-tip will not require all day smoking like a full or partial beef brisket.

Past smoking season here, so doing the oven a 425 degrees F route here now.

Wb

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

?  Where there is a will, there is a way...

Smokers are currently buried under a foot of snow with external temps lately not conducive to a hot smoke. A little past cold smoke salmon season too this year.

If I find someone locally named Will who won't mind getting his Canada Goose Parka giving off the distinctive smell of a long smoke I'll draft him. 😉

Wb

47 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Smokers are currently buried under a foot of snow with external temps lately not conducive to a hot smoke. A little past cold smoke salmon season too this year.

If I find someone locally named Will who won't mind getting his Canada Goose Parka giving off the distinctive smell of a long smoke I'll draft him. 😉

Wb

Good will hunting...

Some of my best efforts have been in sub freezing temps, controlling your heat is what makes a good Qer...what you need is a roof over the smoker and in your case a maybe a covered walkway to it, or a dedicated smokehouse with access.  Just trying to help, hehe.  And of course you would have a dedicated parka, just like the one you'd wear camping around the fire.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

?  Where there is a will, there is a way...

I agree! I smoke all winter long. I’m in Southern Indiana so it gets cold but there is far worse. Where you live Wolfbane? I do have a covered spot with walls up about 5 ft.