Beef Tri-Tip Recipes Anyone?

Wolfbane

4 hours ago, mr clean said:

I agree! I smoke all winter long. I’m in Southern Indiana so it gets cold but there is far worse. Where you live Wolfbane? I do have a covered spot with walls up about 5 ft.

In the frequently frozen country north of the 49th (Alberta). Heading south soon.❄️

Wb

4 hours ago, Emile said:

This really makes me hungry :D  Will be checking tomorrow if my butcher has tri-tip :) 

tri tip recipe

Browning it the frying pan well on all sides first is the key. Than 10 to 20 minutes per lb. in the waiting hot oven. I make either an au jus or gravy and Yorkshire pudding. 🍴

Wb

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, Wolfbane said:

Tri-Tip. This cut is starting to show up in the Great White North but was unknown when I took a beef cutting course for interest 35 years ago (we cut beef in the British tradition here mostly).

An excellent cut that cooks quickly and comes from the area of the bottom sirloin. Tasty like Beef Brisket, without the need to smoke for hours or cook slowly in the oven with liquids.

Found a great recipe for it here: https://bakingmischief.com/2017/09/11/tri-tip-in-the-oven/

Wb

Hmmm, it appears the Tri-Tip is very close to the Argentines favorite cut.  Must be good, thanks.

7 hours ago, Emile said:

Darn, no tri tip in the Tampa bay area :(  OK; coming from Miami ... this better be good :D 

1409-tri-tip-whole-prime-0004_x2000@2x.jpg?v=1565102220

looks like a tri tip to me.   i know names change in geographic areas. when i was in Michigan they had steaks called delmonico ... we called then ribeye in california. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

looks like a tri tip to me.   i know names change in geographic areas. when i was in Michigan they had steaks called delmonico ... we called then ribeye in california. 

Its actually closer to bottom sirloin on the animal and most likely be called that in most Western countries.

Ribeye is the center section of the prime rib cut as a steak (no cap or bone of course). The first four of eight ribs being prime. Wasn’t Delmonico’s a hotel restaurant somewhere in the USA?

Wb

3 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Its actually closer to bottom sirloin on the animal and most likely be called that in most Western countries.

Ribeye is the center section of the prime rib cut as a steak (no cap or bone of course). The first four of eight ribs being prime. Wasn’t Delmonico’s a hotel restaurant somewhere in the USA?

Wb

got me.   what was shown in the photo looks like the tri-tips we get out here. I googled Delmonico because i couldn’t remember which cut it was and the internet told me it was a tri-tip,  i’m no expert since i don’t cook. I do seem to remember a restaurant being called Demonico’s. 

When i was married and living in Michigan, my wife worked in the meat department of a large grocery store. she would tell me “back in california, they call this cut ...."

6 hours ago, Emile said:

Well, fixed the tri tip :)  It was pretty tasty ... but I'll take filet mignon instead of it anytime :( 

What grade did you get and how'd you end up preparing it? Smoked, or cooktop, then oven, or? 🔪

I buy Prime when I'm in the south and Alberta (Canada) AAA when up here (no eastern Canada beef wanted here). :emotion-45:

I examine and select based on marbleing as AAA is kind of between US Prime and Choice.:emotion-22:

Wb

Beef_Tri_Tip.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

What grade did you get and how'd you end up preparing it?

Was "prime" grade ...  https://wildforkfoods.com/products/prime-beef-tri-tip . Grilled it. 2-3 minutes each side on very high heat, then transferred to "other" rack with indirect heat for about 20 minutes.  Was very flavorful ... but guess I like beef you can cut with a fork :D  Going to order some Japanese Wagyu filet mignons :)   OK; I am "cheap" ... may try some Australian Wagyu first ... have heard the American Wagyu does not even come close :(  Labeling is not "controlled" ... that's why you can find Kobe/Wagyu beef at many US restaurants ... but further checking shows only 8 US restaurants sell REAL Kobe/Wagyu beef.

• Like 1