Beef Tri-Tip Recipes Anyone?

Wolfbane

6 minutes ago, Emile said:

Was "prime" grade ...  https://wildforkfoods.com/products/prime-beef-tri-tip . Grilled it. 2-3 minutes each side on very high heat, then transferred to "other" rack with indirect heat for about 20 minutes.  Was very flavorful ... but guess I like beef you can cut with a fork :D  Going to order some Japanese Wagyu filet mignons :)   OK; I am "cheap" ... may try some Australian Wagyu first ... have heard the American Wagyu does not even come close :(  Labeling is not "controlled" ... that's why you can find Kobe/Wagyu beef at many US restaurants ... but further checking shows only 8 US restaurants sell REAL Kobe/Wagyu beef.

I suspect only the Japanese give their Wagyu cattle daily massage therapy. They treat their cattle better than most husbands and wives treat each other (there and here). :)

Wb

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

I suspect only the Japanese give their Wagyu cattle daily massage therapy

And don't forget their beer :D 

Image result for wagyu cattle beer

But Jeez ... about $200 for 2 small 8 oz pieces ... going to drink some more wine before I decide to order this :D 

4 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

I suspect only the Japanese give their Wagyu cattle daily massage therapy. They treat their cattle better than most husbands and wives treat each other (there and here). :)

Wb

* makes you wonder how ones spouse would react when presented that question - “ dear, I’m sure I can treat you better than I do but please don’t expect Wagyu cattle treatment”. Yeah, that should go over well —

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2019 at 6:35 AM, Wolfbane said:

Tri-Tip. This cut is starting to show up in the Great White North but was unknown when I took a beef cutting course for interest 35 years ago (we cut beef in the British tradition here mostly).

An excellent cut that cooks quickly and comes from the area of the bottom sirloin. Tasty like Beef Brisket, without the need to smoke for hours or cook slowly in the oven with liquids.

Found a great recipe for it here: https://bakingmischief.com/2017/09/11/tri-tip-in-the-oven/

Wb

Tri-Tip is very very good stuff...

I used to work at a meat purveyor years ago...I learned a lot about beef working there...

Hank, "the foreman" told me years ago...

Ribeye and Tri-Tip are the best....

You know what? He is right to this day...

I recall a High School moment, we had a Saturday party with food, live music and of coarse whatever high school students bring to a party...

Grilled Tri-Tip steaks to all that attended this party...

I will only use tri-tip in my Chili recipes...

1 hour ago, MyOwn said:

Tri-Tip is very very good stuff...

I used to work at a meat purveyor years ago...I learned a lot about beef working there...

Hank, "the foreman" told me years ago...

Ribeye and Tri-Tip are the best....

You know what? He is right to this day...

I recall a High School moment, we had a Saturday party with food, live music and of coarse whatever high school students bring to a party...

Grilled Tri-Tip steaks to all that attended this party...

I will only use tri-tip in my Chili recipes...

With added beef fat it made for great hamburger too.

Wb

• Like 1

I just picked up a tri tip a a butcher shop a few towns over. This place has some killer meat! I should have not went in there. Picked up 2 really nice ribeyes also. I had to get out of there pretty quick. OK experts how do I want to prepare this. I could find ways online but 

I want some ideas on here:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr clean said:

I just picked up a tri tip a a butcher shop a few towns over. This place has some killer meat! I should have not went in there. Picked up 2 really nice ribeyes also. I had to get out of there pretty quick. OK experts how do I want to prepare this. I could find ways online but 

I want some ideas on here:

You can smoke em' if you got a Tri-Tip with lots of attached fat or you could cook them using the recipe I posted a link to above if you want to cook them quickly go with that one. I make the following changes to it:

- Rub room temperture dry meat all over with cut Garlic (I use a paper towel, but never rinse the meat in water).

- Cook 4 pieces of smoked side bacon in the fry pan you're using and reserve the bacon fat. If you don't eat or can't eat bacon use a couple of pieces of beef fat and render the fat first to       use that instead (I use a frying pan with lid on to render beef fat).

- Rub the meat with a mixture of spices and not just seasoning salt. (I use freshly  ground pepper, salt, celery salt and a pinch of sugar).

- While the meat is resting after you've sprinkled on spices; cook some carrot, celery, onion and a small sliced purple turnip piece in the rendered fat.

- Brown the meat on the stove top in the frying pan using the rendered fat or part of it (with the vegetables set aside for later). Scrap the pan using white vermouth, sherry or sake and reserve the scrapings.

- Place the cooked vegetables in your pan's bottom and place the meat on top of them with the fat side up. Add some of the rendered fat if necessary and put it all into a pre-heated 425     Degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes/lb.

- Confirm the meat has reached an internal temp of 135 Degrees F or more (I like 140 Degrees F) with an instant read thermometer.

- Remove it and wrap it foil along with the cooked vegetables and make either an Au Jus along with the pan scrappings.

- Slice it as thin as you can against the grain  (i.e. English Cut).

Eat and enjoy. 🍴

Wb

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:26 PM, Wolfbane said:

With added beef fat it made for great hamburger too.

Wb

Soooooo...

Back in my meat purveyor days, the company had all the local Wendy's and McDonald contracts....

All are different portions of beef "Bull meat and Cow fat meat" Have you ever seen either in a box?

Yummy 😑

Make you own at home so you know what your getting.

• Like 1

OK; got the first one via mail-order and did it on the grill. Good but not spectacular - think it was cooked a little too far :(  

Haha, just found tri-tip at my local Winn-Dixie. Will try pan searing followed by the oven :D 

I fixed the tri tip yesterday and it turned out very very good. I kept it simple, and did pretty much what was recommended on here. Browned on all sides using bacon grease in cast iron skillet, then baked in cast iron at 425 until internal temp was 140 f. I though for me I would like this little more medium, and not medium rare or rare. Very juicy and just a small touch of pink in the very middle. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  With the tri tip I made potatoes and onions wrapped in foil, and fresh asparagus. I think the wife was impressed! Thanks for the help.         

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

next time, when it’s medium rare, cut off a slab and mail it to me.  

I’m envious of those you that can cook. i’m a lousy cook; but the local restaurants love me!

Anyone can cook. You just have to know how to read a recipe. After that its trial and error. Or just make it up as you go.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 5:39 PM, oldtimer said:

But not everyone can set the house on fire attempting to boil water.

My late father, the second son of a classically trained Swiss Chef, could kind his way around the kitchen like a black cat in a coal mine at midnight on a moonless night (i.e. not all). He relied on my mother to feed him just like a dog or cat. All of that worked great for him until mom got sick. At that point the quality of his diet went from gourmet to the Kentucky Colonels, restaurants and pizza. He could grill a steak and cook a hot dog and make breakfast of oatmeal and toast. Never attempted much beyond that.

Wb

On 10/26/2019 at 1:09 PM, BigStewMan said:

next time, when it’s medium rare, cut off a slab and mail it to me.  

I’m envious of those you that can cook. i’m a lousy cook; but the local restaurants love me!

Hey, if that offer is open to all, I’ll send you a slab and ship in exchange for you shipping me an signed and notarized insurance policy that pays me when you eat it and keel over; eventually tumbling below grass level. That slab will be walking out of the package on its own by the time it arrives from the desert. 

Wb

• Haha 1