Canadian Politics - Federal Election

MC39693

I know our US friends are glued to their TV sets watching the Canadian Federal election ... everything.  A recap for those who might have missed last night's leaders' debate while watching the 'Niners prove they are for real while taking the Browns to the wood shed;

1) There are 6 parties.  Four of whom have no hope.

2) There are 2 parties that will tell lies to get elected, never fulfill any promises, have horrible leaders in office, scandals and not accomplish anything except attempt to be elected the next time.

Wait ... that sounds like US politics?

3) We'll likely have a minority government.  Nothing will be done, and we'll have another election in 18 to 24 months.  And, scary thing is it might be the best outcome?

4) The French debate is on Thursday ... tune in or you'll miss out.

Wow, what a sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, MC39693 said:

I know our US friends are glued to their TV sets watching the Canadian Federal election ... everything.  A recap for those who might have missed last night's leaders' debate while watching the 'Niners prove they are for real while taking the Browns to the wood shed;

1) There are 6 parties.  Four of whom have no hope.

2) There are 2 parties that will tell lies to get elected, never fulfill any promises, have horrible leaders in office, scandals and not accomplish anything except attempt to be elected the next time.

Wait ... that sounds like US politics?

3) We'll likely have a minority government.  Nothing will be done, and we'll have another election in 18 to 24 months.  And, scary thing is it might be the best outcome?

4) The French debate is on Thursday ... tune in or you'll miss out.

Wow, what a sad state of affairs.

Watched both the English Debate on Monday and the French Debate on Thursday. IMO: The debate in French was much, much, better and run by the moderator like a well oiled machine. Contrary to what was written in the press beforehand, all party leaders were there and given pretty equal time. I’d prefer to have just three Federal parties as six are too many and two not enough. 

Wb

Not required but available. I took 7 years of French, my daughters were in a French immersion and a basically bi-lingual. Starting them in kindergarten they had no idea it was optional and now speak 5 languages. Start ‘em young!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our two are 28 and 26 now.  It was long long ago in a different galaxy it seems.  We also sent/took them to language camps in Bimidji!  Two summers of French and one of Italian.  They both have 2 passports, speak at least 5 languages and have their own money.  I'm just a bystander now.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:49 PM, BigStewMan said:

WB ... is English & French required in grammar school?

Sorry for the late reply...  just seeing your post now: You are required in the Province of Quebec to attend primary school in French only. All other nine Provinces, including Alberta, offer both English, French and Spanish primary school. Most people choose to have their children educated in English from K to Grade 12 in the public school system. Both my girls went through 13 years of primary school in French before going on to undergrad and graduate schools at English Universities in Canada. Between the two of them: they attended the University of Victoria, McGill (Montreal) University of Calgary, Queens (Kingston) and the University of Toronto.

Our thinking was if they excelled at learning in French primary schools in the public system (English is their first language) and focused heavily on math and the sciences they could have their pick of universities later on when they could decide for themselves what they wanted to do. If they decided that they wanted to go to Technical School or Culinary School after high school we would have also supported them in their decision. Luckily, our expectations were more than met.

I paid them well for good grades in primary school with doubled the amount for good grades in math and the sciences as an extra incentive. Melissa was also heavily into track and field through junior and senior high school. Kept them too busy for boys, and girl nonsense. They never, ever, caused us a bit of trouble growing up.

Wb

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, oldtimer said:

I was more in line with his thinking---soylent green.

After all, this is a political thread.

It is now. We now have open external interference in our current federal election (money and public endorsements). And not just by China and Russia. 😣

Can we impeach someone for this?

Wb

12 minutes ago, NADman said:

Do you mean the 'Dual citizenship' issue?

I don't care about that, my mother's sisters were all dual citizens having been born in North Dakota. If they were still alive and running for office, I would vote for either of them over any of our current options in this especially devisive election. It's USA sourced money and political endorsements that have no place in our internal politics. The Chinese and Russians interfere too, but I expect that from a dictatorship... not a democracy.

Wb