Canadian Politics - Federal Election

MC39693

6 minutes ago, NADman said:

"I don't care about that, my mother's sisters were all dual citizens having been born in North Dakota. If they were still alive and running for office, I would vote for either of them"

So would I.

You probably hate being bribed with your own money too? I really don't want my great-great-great grandchildren paying for my generation's fiscal and environmental stupidity.

Wb

56 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That depends upon your constitution.  I hope you have one, since the English never bothered to have their own.

Actually the US Constitution was based on the original UK Constitution which dates back to 1215 AD (i.e. The Magna Carta; imposed on King John). I suspect that this is not well understood or taught in primary school in the USA. Probably should be taught in University level European History classes though or if you take a US Constitutional Law Course where it should be mandatory. Perhaps ex-President Obama taught this at Harvard?

The English added further civil rights after the English Civil War (won by Parliament and Oliver Cromwell who subsequently executed King Charles I after he defeated the royalist army at Naseby in 1645, it was another twenty years before the monarchy was restored). Richard Harris played the role of Cromwell in the movie made about this war. It is an interesting movie for history buffs.The UK relies on the above and established case law for Constitutional type issues as you are correct the is no single codified document other than the  Magna Carta in the UK.

We have a piss poor Constitution here in Canada with does not include property rights like all proper Constitutions should. I'd like to see that change in my lifetime, but the last attempt to re-cast our Constitution failed when Quebec did not sign on to it and some of our indigenous poeples opposed it. :(

Wb

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The UK or more properly England does not have a written constitution.  The consequences are manifest.

Things have improved since they closed the debtor's prisons. That said, I would not want to be an inmate in any UK prison today either.

Wb

9 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

I suspect that this is not well understood or taught in primary school in the USA.

It used to be taught in high school, but then again, my father taught civics. Probably not gone into in great detail, and we weren't distracted by cell phone and social media.

Bruce

16 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Can we impeach someone for this?

Wb

Well...it's certainly something that can be attempted. The problem is if it's persued by criminals it makes them look like fools. Also...you have to work very hard to get to the truth in these matters as FAKE NEWS from dishonest MEDIA could misinform the people on purpose.

• Like 1