MCM 1900 Power Requirements

trapper9

I just purchased a really nice set and will use them outdoors. I hooked them up this weekend and they are awesome. I was running a set of modded commercial La Scalas and there is really no comparison. I am running a set of Audio Research Reference 210 tube amps along with a Audio Research Reference 5 pre amp. I believe I have plenty of power for now. The amps have 4 to 16 Ohm outlets and just wondering whats the best place to start as the Klipsch have different Ohm ratings on the individual speakers. 

I recently came into possession of a pair of MWM bins, and am using them connected to the woofer outs on my La Scalas. I have powered them with a pair of 2A3 SET amps. However, I switched to a modified Crown D-45 @ about 25 WPC and the bass is incredibly clean and tight. I will be hauling them out for a Christmas party, so I got a Crown XLi800, as I will have them in a pretty large room (they will have 2 inch compression drivers on larger horns). Right now, the larger Crown doesn't sound as nice, but I will be running it for a while to get it broken in and see is there is improvement.

What are the components on the MCMs?

Bruce

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Bruce

Components on WHICH unit in the system??  There were two versions of the MCM 1900...the earlier version had the MTM (tweeter box), which ALSO has two versions...each using different components...then you nave the MSM (midrange unit)...which has a fibertglass exponentioan horn with a 4-way manifold for the K-55 compression drivers....then you MAY HAVE the addition of a MSSM unit (sub-squawker) which is a wooden horn lens pushed by a cone driver through a compression slot....IIRC, that driver was either an 8-inch or a 10-inch and was made by CETEC...but the driver-sourcing changed at least once in that unit...then you have the MWM bass bin unit...which is pushed by the K-43 15-inch woofer (if it is a double bin, it has two of them!).

The earliest version of the MTM had, IIRC, five (maybe Six!) K-77 tweeters in each unit...when the K-77-M came along the box was enlarged due to the over-sized mud magnets that tweeter had, to keep the magnets of adjacent tweeters from touching each other.  The second version was a Don Keele design which had two tweeters per box, IIRC!   I  can't remember which tweeter it was which was in them, but Jim Hunter will know...the same for the driver(s) used on the MSSM...Hunter will know!  The VERY FIRST version of the MCM 1900 needed more "OOMPF" for its hornlens than just one of the K-55s...When Hunter came aboard at Klipsch, one of the first projects handed over to him was for increasing that "oompf" with the application of more drivers...which ended up being a four-way manifold having FOUR of the K55s! pushing that fiberglass horn lens!  He was also prominent in the design of the wooden horn lens for the MSSM sub-squawker, including its improvements...so he knows all about that, too!...including the change of the sides of the mouth of that wooden sub-squawker horn to improve it (and outward" bend"  inside to the sides of that horn at its mouth!).  IIRC, that horn mouth change had to do with elimination of standing waves.

I didn't design them, but I had to build them!  So I remember about the changes to the parts of what I had to build....LOL!

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 1:50 PM, trapper9 said:

I just purchased a really nice set and will use them outdoors. I hooked them up this weekend and they are awesome. I was running a set of modded commercial La Scalas and there is really no comparison. I am running a set of Audio Research Reference 210 tube amps along with a Audio Research Reference 5 pre amp. I believe I have plenty of power for now. The amps have 4 to 16 Ohm outlets and just wondering whats the best place to start as the Klipsch have different Ohm ratings on the individual speakers. 

Didn't I see a set of crossovers on top of the stacks? Feed it with a Crown amp and let it worry about what the ohms are as it will handle any of them. I ran mine with a Crown xli800 which was 200watts 8 ohm each channel. I only turned it all the way up one time for a nut who came by and insisted I do so. I went and put my hearing protection on and did so and it was ridiculous. I suppose at 500' you can crank them up all the way and not worry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I ran mine with a Crown xli800 which was 200watts 8 ohm each channel.

My XLi800 sounds pretty darn good on mine. I'm sure it will be plenty loud and clean at our Christmas party.

Dave, I'm still going to hit you up for the Xrive Rack... just have to pay a couple other things first.

7 hours ago, Marvel said:

My XLi800 sounds pretty darn good on mine. I'm sure it will be plenty loud and clean at our Christmas party.

Dave, I'm still going to hit you up for the Xrive Rack... just have to pay a couple other things first.

I figured that and have not listed them for sale. They are your until you tell me no.

14 hours ago, Marvel said:

Assuming they are like the ones I got from Tim minus the extra mid range he has the four k-77-M tweeter manifolds each tweeter, four K-55-V drivers in each mid range and twp K-43's in the double bin MWM's.  Now the mystery to me on these is they are rated at like 99db but I could take the same power that went into say a set of Chorus I's and get more perceivable volume out of the MCM stacks by just changing from one to the other and not touching the volume control. MCM 1900's are unlike anything else I have ever had to play with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My set has a separate what I will call crossover module with two mid range and a separate tweeter. I had a great time listening to the outside the end of last summer. I think 200 watts of tube power is plenty. I have a set of modded commercial La Scalas I really like but there is no comparison. I cant believe how lucky I was to have found them and the seller is a great guy. Im going to get him up to my home in the spring so he can really hear them sing. I looked for years for a set of these. I could not be happier

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 2:50 PM, trapper9 said:

I just purchased a really nice set and will use them outdoors. I hooked them up this weekend and they are awesome. I was running a set of modded commercial La Scalas and there is really no comparison. I am running a set of Audio Research Reference 210 tube amps along with a Audio Research Reference 5 pre amp. I believe I have plenty of power for now. The amps have 4 to 16 Ohm outlets and just wondering whats the best place to start as

Having had a set of these, or very close to it I can speak from personal experience. I think 200 watts per side is way under rated input but still capable of prodigious sound levels. The owner is happy with that and he should be. I would not be standing close at 200 watts per channel if I had them outside. I sit here amazed thinking about just how much sound comes out of these big things with so little wattage input. Same input as makes a Forte loud makes this giant pile-o-gear very loud.

There is no amp to good for these and the fidelity they are capable of is astounding. Yes electronic crossovers would allow for fine tuning and sound better than stock passive crossovers but what he has is really really good as it is. If I had not built my Super MWM's I would still have my set and never consider selling them off. Few indeed are those who are lucky enough to even get to hear a set much less own one.

2 hours ago, mark1101 said:

On my MCM setup I run 1800 watts into my 4 MWM-S bass bins.  So two K-33 woofers share 900 watts on each side.  Previously, I ran 550 watts per side and it has much better impact with the 900 per side. 

I bet they did! What did you say? Could you repeat that?    I cant imagine how loud they were at that level sitting anywhere even close. Now how many of those watts were you actually using?